Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Best City for Finds  (Read 2713 times)

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
Best City for Finds
« on: February 16, 2016, 11:10:39 AM »
I am always hearing from people about how their area never has anything good show up on Craigslist and they are so jealous of others.  So what is the best city for finding Webers?

I nominate San Francisco.  Good weather year round, lots of money, people constantly moving from houses to apartments, and just overall a lot of people who buy grills and then don't use them. 

It seems that Chicago does well too. What other cities are great for hunting Webers...

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Re: Best City for Finds
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 11:21:06 AM »
Noticed San Fran, Seattle, & Chicago have ton of variety for some decent prices. I hate to throw this out there, but so does Minneapolis. Has been really good for me. Just got back from there yesterday with a decent haul over two days. Last time I went, I came away with four decent finds in two days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 11:45:44 AM »
The Pheonix area is pretty good.  With it being so dry here and grilling being a year round thing, there are always some good finds available.  There's always several Performers on CL and Offerup at any given time...in fact there are enough that usually you will see the price drop once or twice before you feel pressured to pull the trigger.  If you want to spend $175-$200 on a performer you don't have to look around for long.  If you want to pay $250 or a little higher there is almost a brand new on at this price available.  We (the AZ WKC text message group) have been stalking a red SS performer on Offerup that has gone down in $40 increments twice now.  Sitting at $120 right now.  If you are just looking for a first kettle (for a friend that loves my charcoal grilled food) you can find your everyday nothing fancy or collectible kettle that has been barely used for $20-$30 all day long.  Some of the ads say they have multiple grills where they are just getting rid of less used grills, but a lot of them include bags of charcoal which tells me its people switching from charcoal to gas.  Lots of people have built in gassers on their patios around here so I imagine that is what is making kettles go unused.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 11:48:16 AM »
We even get the ultra-elusive 23" grills down here!!!!!  LOL

https://offerupnow.com/item/detail/58720792/weber-grill-23

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 01:31:45 PM »
From best areas/cities to worst:

Chicago
Minneapolis/Midwest
San Fran/LA/California
NW Pacific Coast
PHX/Southwest
Northeast Atlantic
Atlanta/Southeast
Texas
Florida

Every place has it's own gems, but just what i've noticed over the years.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 01:36:35 PM by MaxBobcat »

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 01:43:17 PM »
My vote is Portland..always stupid good deals there

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 02:01:24 PM »
It seems to ebb and flow.  Right now is the off season for the midwest, but I'm sure it will pick up as spring approaches.  I agree that there always seems to be some pretty nice things down in Arizona.  @MikeRocksTheRed I've been envying that red fade performer for a while.  I already have a performer, but love the red fade...you should pull the trigger on that.  It seemed that there were some amazing kettles last year that kept on popping up in the Pacific Northwest.  St. Louis has solid stuff come up from time to time as well...I am glad I have Vegas all to myself, but the funny thing is that the vast majority of Las Vegas residents moved here post 1990...not a whole lot of old kettles around.   
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 02:05:16 PM »
My vote is Portland..always stupid good deals there

I have Portland on my CL search. Always cool stuff popping up there.
Still need a 22” yellow

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 03:02:54 PM »
There's no good grills in SFBay. Ever. :P please focus your searches on Chicago, Minneapolis, and Seattle. :)
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 08:42:18 AM »
From best areas/cities to worst:

Chicago
Minneapolis/Midwest
San Fran/LA/California
NW Pacific Coast
PHX/Southwest
Northeast Atlantic
Atlanta/Southeast
Texas
Florida

Every place has it's own gems, but just what i've noticed over the years.

I agree with that.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 12:35:15 PM »
I will agree with Texas being at the bottom, at least for rare or collectible kettles.  Generally you will have some black OTS kettles on CL. A little more frequently you will see performers or WSMs pop up.  I have hardly ever seen MBHs show up. 
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 01:59:07 PM »
It was great in Detroit until @jbenavidez2 moved here from Tex and started taking all my deals...  :)

Just Kidding Joel and I work great together to make sure no deal goes undone. 
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.