Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I can't cook ribs...  (Read 4704 times)

Jeep

• WKC Brave
I can't cook ribs...
« on: July 12, 2015, 01:19:40 PM »
There I said it.

Every time I try and cook ribs I over cook them and they get crispy.  I keep hearing 3-2-1 or 2-2-1.  Wrap and don't wrap.  I had them on my smoker this last time for no more than 3 hours and they were still too much.  I am guessing that my CB is just getting hotter than I think it is. 

-Jeep

22 Performer - Black - AA ** 22 OTS - Black - Cajun Bandit - AD ** 22 MT - Burgundy - EO
18 OTS - Guinness - DZ **  SJG - Black - Turned into Mini WSM  ** SJS - Lime - AT (x2)

jimmy_dong

• WKC Brave
Re: I can't cook ribs...
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 02:09:30 PM »
Dont feel bad.

I cant cook hashbrowns. No matter how hard I try. Freshly grated or dehydrated from the carton. Cant do it.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 03:05:16 PM »
Had to think for a min to come up with one I just simply can't do. I should have my man card punched. Gravy. I can make it, but usually tastes like nothing.
Still need a 22” yellow

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 03:20:10 PM »
Somebody else is frying ribs too.....just stuck up a few links here:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/indirect-heat-250-how/msg176066/#msg176066

PS: Hashbrowns & gravy are clearly the wife's territory here....... :-[ :-[ :-[ 8)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 03:29:25 PM by 1buckie »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 08:05:42 PM »
I still have racks go way off the rails every now and then, it happens
Just from what you've said so far I would think that yes it is
way hotter than you are thinking by at least a 100 or maybe
even 150 degrees. 

What are you using to watch your temps?  Please tell me it's not a Weber lid thermometer.

How are you setting up for air flow?

What are you using for fuel and how are you setting it up?
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 08:37:02 PM »
overcooking ribs in 3 hours means your temp is too high. Whats your briq setup? If you are doing minion method on a pile of briquettes underneath the radiant heat my be cooking your ribs faster than the ambient internal kettle temp. A heat deflector in between will help.

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Jeep

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 02:32:03 AM »
I usually just dump kbb blue in a 2 or 3 briquette pile and light 8 or so in my chimney and dump in the center.  Bottom vent just shy of closed.  No damper.  I should put the water pan in with water i guess.

As for temps I do use the dome therm...time for a different solution there also.

Jeep.

Its wierd that everything else seems to turn out good.
22 Performer - Black - AA ** 22 OTS - Black - Cajun Bandit - AD ** 22 MT - Burgundy - EO
18 OTS - Guinness - DZ **  SJG - Black - Turned into Mini WSM  ** SJS - Lime - AT (x2)

chefn58

• WKC Brave
I can't cook ribs...
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 03:50:47 AM »
Here's a pic of my setup with the snake. I run a 2x2. Light 12 briquettes to start it and use a water pan.

I typically wrap the ribs with apple juice and a little spice at 160. Put them back on the grill and cook to the desired oneness. My kids like them fall off the bone so I go to 197.

They also like them glazed so I unwrap and throw them back on the grill for a few minutes with sauce.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 03:52:59 AM by chefn58 »
Searching for a Blue 18" MBH

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 04:38:26 AM »
@chefn58 So you actually track the temp on your ribs?

I have had two recent fails IMO on Ribs and I am trying to figure out what is wrong.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

chefn58

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 04:59:13 AM »
I don't connect temperature probes to the ribs to track exact temps but I know if I set the grill up this way, the temperature will cook between 250-275. If the grill is running warm I will need to wrap sooner.

I typically temp the ribs after 1.5 hours to see where I'm at. If they are at 160 I wrap. If they are lower I cook a little bit longer.

chefn58

• WKC Brave
I can't cook ribs...
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 04:59:57 AM »
@chefn58 So you actually track the temp on your ribs?

I have had two recent fails IMO on Ribs and I am trying to figure out what is wrong.

Forgot to quote before leaving a response.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 06:08:45 AM »
I don't connect temperature probes to the ribs to track exact temps but I know if I set the grill up this way, the temperature will cook between 250-275. If the grill is running warm I will need to wrap sooner.

I typically temp the ribs after 1.5 hours to see where I'm at. If they are at 160 I wrap. If they are lower I cook a little bit longer.

Yeah, I know a lot of people like to have the temps @ 225 but I think that might be part of it, 250 to 275 seems to be the best.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 06:55:47 AM »
I usually just dump kbb blue in a 2 or 3 briquette pile and light 8 or so in my chimney and dump in the center.  Bottom vent just shy of closed.  No damper.  I should put the water pan in with water i guess.

As for temps I do use the dome therm...time for a different solution there also.

Jeep.

Its wierd that everything else seems to turn out good.

@Jeep 

Dome temp will be higher....sometimes 40~50 degrees higher.....go by Meat Level (<< Technical Term)

Go 'till they bend good......

Look into chefn58's setup....that looks like it would work grate !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 10:20:37 AM »
Jeep, move your charcoal pile to one side, place the ribs on the other, and put a simple heat deflector in and go to town. The deflector can be super simple like some foil, baking tray, etc.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 10:59:36 AM »
I have used the snake / fuse with excellent results for ribs. 

However, I prefer THIS method, now, for K.I.S.S. ribs. 
No need to sweat the temperature fluctuations, in fact, I don't monitor the temp …. Just relax. Let them ride …  :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.