Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I can't cook ribs...  (Read 4705 times)

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
Re: I can't cook ribs...
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2015, 01:48:49 PM »
Jeep, move your charcoal pile to one side, place the ribs on the other, and put a simple heat deflector in and go to town. The deflector can be super simple like some foil, baking tray, etc.

This ^^^^   Think the problem illustrates the difference between direct and indirect heat.

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2015, 02:35:58 AM »
I can't hula hoop, it always just hangs in front of me...
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

Stu Clary

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2015, 02:59:00 PM »
There I said it.

Every time I try and cook ribs I over cook them and they get crispy.  I keep hearing 3-2-1 or 2-2-1.  Wrap and don't wrap.  I had them on my smoker this last time for no more than 3 hours and they were still too much.  I am guessing that my CB is just getting hotter than I think it is. 

-Jeep

For what its worth, here's what I do, from start to finish.  I do this for both baby backs and St. Louis cuts...

1. remove membrane
2. apply rub.  I put my own together, but there's a lot of great stuff out there.
3. allow to rest for at least a couple hours
4. fill half a chimney halfway with Kingsford, light ér up.
5. once coals are ashed over, dump in one side of grill with drip pan of apple juice on the other side
6. drop a few (maybe 5 or 6) unlit coals + wood chunks atop coals.
7. place the ribs on the cool side, over the drip pan.
8. let the ribs sit in the smoke for 45 minutes, rotate them for even cooking, add more chunks, cover for another 45 minutes.
9. double wrap in foil with brown sugar, honey and some butter for one hour.  Rotate & flip every fifteen minutes.
10. remove ribs from foil, lay out on cool side of grill.  Reserve the drippings from the foil. allow ribs to sit 15 minutes
11. pour and brush reserved drippings over ribs.  Leave on grill another 10 minutes.
12. remove from grill, allow to rest 15 to 20 minutes.
13. cut with a sharp knife
14. enjoy the best ribs you ever made.

Stu Clary

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2015, 03:05:31 PM »
just so you know...

jimmy_dong

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2015, 03:37:37 PM »
I can't hula hoop, it always just hangs in front of me...

lmao.

Jeep

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2015, 08:41:32 AM »
Thanks for all the tips and tricks... I am going to give it another go this weekend If I can find a good price of ribs.

-Jeep
22 Performer - Black - AA ** 22 OTS - Black - Cajun Bandit - AD ** 22 MT - Burgundy - EO
18 OTS - Guinness - DZ **  SJG - Black - Turned into Mini WSM  ** SJS - Lime - AT (x2)