Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New to Me MBH Brownie  (Read 3367 times)

Bugman

• Smokey Joe
New to Me MBH Brownie
« on: July 16, 2015, 10:04:28 AM »
Afternoon Everyone.

First post, but have been lurking for some time.  Recognize some folks from other sites and appreciate all the resources here.

Managed to score this beauty yesterday.  From what I can gather its maybe a 1970?  Says patent pending, has metal wheels....  In really nice shape, but has a pretty rusty leg socket and is wobbly.  Need to clean her up and get the socket stabilized somehow.

Is this one of the nifty color changers?

Craig

• WKC Mod
New to Me MBH Brownie
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 10:52:10 AM »
Congratulations and welcome to the site! That's a sweet brown you have there. I see small turn tabs on the bowl vents? Looks to be early 70s. As for color change, the copper mists (chocolate browns) do a SLIGHT color shift when screaming hot. At least my 22 and 26 do. My 26 ('69-70 like your 22) changes color more so and its older than my 22 (1978  )there's even a slight variation in brown color on both. [emoji3]

EDIT: I see yours is a PAT PENDING. 1969-very early 70s.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 10:54:24 AM by Craig »

Bugman

• Smokey Joe
Re: New to Me MBH Brownie
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 11:34:29 AM »
Thanks for the welcome and quick reply! 

I didn't realize there was a difference in tab sizes, so I couldn't tell you if they are small or not...

I see an ER stamped on the top vent, but not sure if it means anything or not. 

The Charcoal grate has seen better days, but almost looks like it has a loop in the middle support bar.  Did they come this way at some point to ease removal for getting rid of the ash?

I also see I can get some replacement handles from the site, but might hack some of my own together.  Are there dimensions I can use since I don't have a top handle left to use as a guide....

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 12:02:08 PM »
Awesome score.  I'm starting to drool a little just looking at it.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 03:14:10 PM »
Nice score and welcome....but i admit i'm confused (not hard to do). What vent is stamped ER?
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 03:20:14 PM »
Welcome to the site from Eugene, OR.  Nice find, looks to cleanup quite nicely.       SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Bugman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 04:32:09 PM »
Nice score and welcome....but i admit i'm confused (not hard to do). What vent is stamped ER?
You aren't the only one!  After a few minutes of cleaning, it looks like its the end of "Weber" on the top vent.  The rest of the word is worn away, and under the grime I couldn't tell.  Whoops!

Here is what I'm dealing with for a leg socket... 

Will get some stainless steel hardware and tap it out....

Looking forward to getting a fire going in her!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 01:57:49 AM by Bugman »

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 10:13:10 PM »
Nice looking Brownie!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 04:24:25 AM »
Welcome, and great score!
The leg socket doesn't look too bad. The one fix I know of is to drill holes through the tabs on the socket and bowl and then reattach with stainless steel hardware. If you use the search tool on the top of the page you'll find some examples of others who have done it.

Bugman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 05:25:02 AM »
Thanks to all for the warm welcome and kind words.

@WNC , I searched and found some leg socket repair threads here, and will try to copy them.  I picked up some stainless steel cap screws, nuts, and fender washers last night.  Only the one socket is rusted through, but the others have rust spots in the bowl.  Does it make sense to bolt the others now?  Or should I wait until there is actually detachment?