Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pork shoulder internal temp?  (Read 6016 times)

DTrainMike

• Smokey Joe
Pork shoulder internal temp?
« on: July 02, 2015, 11:28:38 AM »
I'm actively smoking my pork shoulder on the 22.5.  Just past hour 7. Internal temp at 185. I was shooting for 210 before I take it off.  Is that right? Pic is from hour 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DTrainMike

• Smokey Joe
Re: Pork shoulder internal temp?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 11:45:24 AM »
Ok I found some info in a previous thread. I took it off. Now wrapped in foil and towels in a cooler.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 11:56:20 AM »
Dude very nice! Where did you find one with skin on it?

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 12:01:27 PM »
Picnic cut has the skin. I usually take it off before I smoke it. (the shoulder that is…) Kind of a chore, but the end results are worth it.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 12:05:50 PM by MartyG »

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 12:23:17 PM »
You can "foil it" to shorten the "stall" while on the grill.

I don't wrap or towel/cooler rest, heat a mug of water in the microwave (preheat) then sit it to one side while I rest my stuff in it.
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

DTrainMike

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 02:46:34 PM »
We have a new local farm raised meat shop in Lancaster called Kalon Farms. It's like dying and going to meat heaven. We also get our regular meat for the month thru a CSA. Chestnut Farm. If any Mass folks are interested @EricD.

That's after the 2 hour 15 nap in the cooler she was bang on 140. A magic number so I've read. Started at 185 ish.

It was delicious.  But I was short on smoke and my rub didn't stick. So I know there's room for improvement! 

I would take the skin off next time. It didn't allow the fat cap to crisp up.

All together my temps ran 225 +/- 15.  That'll never happen again!  7 hours!  Shit luck.

DTrainMike

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 02:48:37 PM »

You can "foil it" to shorten the "stall" while on the grill.

I don't wrap or towel/cooler rest, heat a mug of water in the microwave (preheat) then sit it to one side while I rest my stuff in it.

What's the "stall"?

terrymo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 06:37:18 PM »
The internal meat temp will rise gradually throughout a cook then hit a sticking point or stall at the same temp for a noticeable period of time before rising again. Here's one explanation
http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/the_stall.html

bbquy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 08:23:34 PM »
I'm doing 4 boston butts with my neice tomorrow....I hope I don't get a stall this time. MY last butt stall lasted 2 hrs.!!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 08:43:57 PM »
@bbquy  run the temp up a little on the high side.....like above 275 by a tad, then the stall goes more quickly & you can also foil wrap right at that point & it will push the cook faster thru that stall time....

Have a grate cookup !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

DTrainMike

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 04:35:42 AM »
Wow that is exactly what happened. 150 after 3hrs, 174 after 5 hours, 174 after 6. Tried 3-2-1 where the thing was wrapped in foil for the middle two hours. Is 3-2-1 not meant for shoulder?

Now I know about the stall. Sweet.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 06:43:34 AM »
@DTrainMike 

Nothing wrong with that at all.....
Running up to somewhere in the high 170's to mid/high 180's is perfect for sliced pork & also works better with the piece you had.....

Another possibility for the skin might be cook up until you want to wrap (stall time?) & then peel the skin & deep fry or sear grill it for crispy cracklin's !!!!!

It also really is OK to run a slightly higher temp......I shoot for 260+ a lot of time.....moves the cook along with no ill effects.....go ahead, the pig can take it!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

DTrainMike

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 07:33:00 AM »
Thank you sir!  I like it slices. I don't do sauce if I can help it. Meat is the star for me.  If I can do in 4 at 250 what take 7 at 225, I'm all about that.

bbquy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 09:31:50 PM »
@bbquy  run the temp up a little on the high side.....like above 275 by a tad, then the stall goes more quickly & you can also foil wrap right at that point & it will push the cook faster thru that stall time....

Have a grate cookup !!!!

@1buckie Thanks for the advice. I will give it a shot and let you know how it goes.

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 08:51:10 AM »
@DTrainMike  How is the meat from Chestnut farm?  I had Hill's Brothers Farm come and do their sales pitch at my house.  But that was more of a delivery service where they come out once a month and restock your freezer with "high quality meats for local farms".  I said okay to this meeting because it came with "a free gift of over $50 in meat".  The meat wasn't the good.  Not worth the monthly charge to me.  I like the thought of a CSA, but really have no experience with them. (Meats or veggies)
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie