Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Another AmazingRibs Promotion Slow and sear  (Read 26936 times)

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
Re: Another AmazingRibs Promotion Slow and sear
« Reply #120 on: August 13, 2015, 03:37:36 PM »

Holy crap man, that really sucks. I hope you're ok!
I checked my SnS, the non-rolled edges of mine have been sanded down so they're smooth. They must have not done that to yours :(

I'm fine. Thanks. I was overdue on a tetanus shot anyway.

@dwnthehatch we're very sorry about this.  Please reach out to me at david@ABCbarbecue.com so we can better understand what happened.

Done. I filed the edge smooth to prevent it from happening again.

kexodusc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #121 on: August 13, 2015, 05:15:38 PM »
I'll take your unfortunate experience as a warning when handling, dwnthehatch, make sure you don't get any salty rub in that cut. 
Was it every edge or one in particular?
Mine should be here tomorrow, might test it on the weekend if time permits. 
Charcoal rookie, whisky hall-of-famer. Current rig: 3 OTS's acquired second-hand, a Smoke-EZ, Maverick ET-733 and not enough time

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #122 on: August 14, 2015, 05:10:37 AM »
Superglue cut closed...

From new SS a cut shouldn't be worry of need tetanus jab

likely more "metals in vaccine" than in the cut.
google that
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

aggrobot

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #123 on: August 14, 2015, 06:55:29 AM »
Stumbled across this forum while looking for info on the slow n sear. Just received mine in the mail, and really looking forward to trying the reverse sear on some steaks this weekend!

While $80.00 isn't exactly cheap, it's a far cry from the bank breaker some are making it out to be. This is a hobby I'm pretty passionate about, and I've spent more money on steaks at Costco to feed 5 people.  The unit is very well built, and I have no trouble paying a little more for something handmade here in the states.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #124 on: August 14, 2015, 07:44:20 AM »
Stumbled across this forum while looking for info on the slow n sear. Just received mine in the mail, and really looking forward to trying the reverse sear on some steaks this weekend!

While $80.00 isn't exactly cheap, it's a far cry from the bank breaker some are making it out to be. This is a hobby I'm pretty passionate about, and I've spent more money on steaks at Costco to feed 5 people.  The unit is very well built, and I have no trouble paying a little more for something handmade here in the states.

I purchased it too, I like it, I think the complaint from some involve, $80 vs almost free for other methods.  Too each their own
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #125 on: August 14, 2015, 08:53:37 AM »

I purchased it too, I like it, I think the complaint from some involve, $80 vs almost free for other methods.  Too each their own

I'm pretty frugal, I probably wouldn't have purchased it (given my initial skepticism and all).
However after getting one and using it a couple times already, I'm actually VERY happy with it.

I grilled spam the other night and I found myself using it just because it does a good job of separating direct and indirect zones.

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #126 on: August 14, 2015, 08:57:57 AM »

I'm pretty frugal, I probably wouldn't have purchased it (given my initial skepticism and all).
However after getting one and using it a couple times already, I'm actually VERY happy with it.

I grilled spam the other night and I found myself using it just because it does a good job of separating direct and indirect zones.

Awesome, review soon?   8)

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #127 on: August 14, 2015, 09:41:25 AM »

Awesome, review soon?   8)

Definitely. Probably within the next 3 or 4 weeks.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #128 on: August 14, 2015, 01:25:36 PM »

Maybe this would serve you well:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kettle-2-Zone-with-Water-Pan-for-indirect-cooking-on-a-Weber-22-1-2-kettle-BBQ-/161766010526?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25aa016e9e

It would be interesting to compare to the SNS for 2 zone cooking.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #129 on: August 14, 2015, 02:12:50 PM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kettle-2-Zone-with-Water-Pan-for-indirect-cooking-on-a-Weber-22-1-2-kettle-BBQ-/161766010526?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25aa016e9e

Maybe! I'm not really a fan of the solid bottom, seems like that'd get all burnt and crusty.

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #130 on: August 14, 2015, 02:15:00 PM »

I'm not the most objective person in the world when it comes to comparing products with the Slow 'N Sear, but the water pan won't work nearly as well as the SnS water pan as their water pan won't get a consistent amount of heat to the water over a long cook (their pan will get more or less heat depending on where the burning charcoal happens to be).  On the flip side they will have a slightly larger indirect cooking area because the water pan doesn't take up any indirect cooking space.  Still, the SnS will do a better job of collecting the charcoal as it burns down, giving you more consistent temps.  The SnS also cannot be beat when it comes to radiant heat. 

kexodusc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #131 on: August 16, 2015, 11:20:15 AM »

I received my SnS on Friday and finally opened it up this morning.  Like one of the members' above, this one's edges aren't sharp either, but if my hand slid across an edge fast/hard enough it might do some damage.  Mine is about as dangerous as the edge of a Weber Chimney.  My photo skills suck, the picture doesn't do it justice, it's a solidly built unit. 

Charcoal rookie, whisky hall-of-famer. Current rig: 3 OTS's acquired second-hand, a Smoke-EZ, Maverick ET-733 and not enough time

eng3

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #132 on: August 22, 2015, 06:33:41 AM »
I've read through this thread.  I'm considering purchasing this item, but the cost is more than my kettle and I could get a separate cheapo (brinkmann) smoker and modify it for the same cost so it makes me pause.  I've never smoked on my kettle before so I have trouble understanding the main advantage to the slow n sear over snake method or firebrick/rails/metal plate to pile up coals on the side (which seems equiv to the smokenator).  I know there's the WR that lets you only use 1Qt of water, but I could just get a larger pan of water.  It has the "sear" ability, but I can easily raise my charcoal grate closer to the cooking grate.  Does the slow 'n sear allow better "set it and forget it" ability so you dont have to mess with the vents or add more coals versus the other methods, that might justify the cost for me?  When I read about the snake method or the pile up on side method, I often see a wide range of comments between people saying they dont need to make any adjustments to people saying they have to mess with the vents every hour.  Or is it equiv to the other techniques in terms of "set it and forget it" and just provide easier setup?

« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 08:50:44 AM by eng3 »

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #133 on: August 23, 2015, 06:43:57 AM »
First things first, you do not want to buy a cheap offset.  They're horrible at holding a temperature and are a constant frustration. 
If budget is a constraint grab some fire bricks or just use the fuse/snake methods in your kettle.  They'll serve you well.

If you have just a little money to spend... A $90 kettle and a Slow 'N Sear gives you all kinds of great cooking options and will turn your kettle into an excellent grill, smoker, and oven.  Check out our reviews.  If you read the content  of the reviews you'll see there are some very experienced backyard enthusiasts using the Slow 'N Sear and they're quite happy with it.  8)

eng3

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #134 on: August 23, 2015, 07:32:41 AM »
oh, I wasnt planning to get an offset.   I was just having trouble understanding the main advantage to the slow n sear over snake method or banking coals using firebrick/rails/metal plate.  I know your product offers the searing and the more efficient water reservoir.   Does the slow 'n sear allow better "set it and forget it" ability so you dont have to mess with the vents or add more coals versus the other methods.  That's probably most important to me.  Basically, I want to be able to go overnight without worrying about it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 07:41:53 AM by eng3 »