Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Where to install blower fan on Weber Performer?  (Read 2170 times)

ed3120

• Smokey Joe
Where to install blower fan on Weber Performer?
« on: June 19, 2015, 06:13:00 AM »
I have a Weber Performer and I just ordered a BBQ Guru CyberQ Wifi, so I'll need to drill a hole to install the Pit Viper fan.  If anyone has done this, where did you put the whole.

The propane burner is on the right side of the kettle, so I assume the left side is better.  It'll be easier to access from the front than it would be from the back, so I'm thinking the front left area would be best.  If I put the hole for the fan too low, it would be too close to where the coals are (and aiming upward) and could blow ash around.  The lid holder is also on the left side and I don't want it to hit the fan when I put the lid in the lid holder.

I'm just trying to think of all pros/cons because I only want to make one hole. :)

I appreciate any advice that you guys have.

Qreps

• WKC Brave
Re: Where to install blower fan on Weber Performer?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 05:34:49 AM »
I've seen it done but not done myself. I would remove the burner pipe and install there so I wouldn't have to drill a hole. I dont think you want the air leaking in around the burner pipe and coming in from the viper fan, so if you cut a second hole you may need to seal up around that pipe.

terrymo

• WKC Brave
Re: Where to install blower fan on Weber Performer?
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 06:11:22 AM »
There is a deflector plate that goes inside the bowl that you can rotate so the air is deflected in any direction. I would put the hole so the deflector plate is just below the charcoal grate with the airflow pointed  down. I don't think the airflow is high enough to cause ash to blow around and it's programmed to sense when the lid is off so the blower stops until the lid is replaced. As for where to mount it, I have only put one on a WSM so I'm not sure about a kettle. Somewhere that the blower won't get bumped into.