Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cedar Planking Steak  (Read 2365 times)

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Cedar Planking Steak
« on: June 09, 2015, 07:35:53 PM »
I got a bunch of cedar planks at Costco the other day and managed a nice salmon cookup.  I love the cedar aroma and taste that results from using planks - got me thinking about using cedar planks to cook steak.  Here is my thesis:  An 18.5" kettle is too small to do a proper 2 zone cook for a reverse sear (especially if the steak is big).  My thought is to fire up a full chimney of lump, cook the steak on a cedar plank until the middle gets above 100, and then remove the plank to finish it off directly over the hot coals, just like a reverse sear.

This Pat Pending 18.5 that I rescued and restored gets the call:

Big Porterhouse on a Cedar plank over lump.  I was monitoring the temp - just because I am obsessed with thermoworks products....

Once the steak hit 115 internal, I removed the board and seared it directly over the lump.  Here it is after resting and carving out the T bone:

The payoff. Wedge salad with pepper bacon, red onion, croutons, blue cheese, and chives.  Steak topped with blue cheese compound butter.
[size=78%]
[/size]

The technique worked well.  If you like cedar, give it a try.  You can really taste the wood in the steak.  The only thing I will do different next time is to pull the plank at 90 degrees internal and let the steak sear for longer to develop a nice crust. 

Winz

In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Cedar Planking Steak
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 12:18:15 AM »
Very nice!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 06:54:53 AM »
Warning Noob Question....
I've been hearing a lot about cooking on a Cedar plank.  (Usually fish, and Kudos on your steak experiment)  My question--- Is the plank only good for one cook?
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Cedar Planking Steak
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 07:18:30 PM »
Warning Noob Question....
I've been hearing a lot about cooking on a Cedar plank.  (Usually fish, and Kudos on your steak experiment)  My question--- Is the plank only good for one cook?

Eric - it is a great question. In my experience abound half the time I can reuse it, and half the time I toss it. A lot depends on the amount of heat directly under the plank. High heat, direct cook will usually mean only one use. Another variable is plank thickness. I find some brands are thicker/sturdier than others.

ALWAYS soak them - the longer the better

Winz

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 07:39:23 PM »
Cook looks bang on Winz. When I smoke steak then sear I have found the same thing regarding an early pull to give enough time for a good crust to develop.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 07:46:06 PM »
Nice Cookup at the new place on one of the newbie kettles !!!

"Signature croutons" ?

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 06:57:29 AM »
Nice Cookup at the new place on one of the newbie kettles !!!

"Signature croutons" ?

You remembered!  For this cook, I used store bought  .  :-[

For Cesar Salads, it is always home made.  Best part of the salad in my opinion.

blieb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 12:23:36 AM »
I never thought to do steak over cedar.  I'm sure it's great!

I ran out of planks recently and couldn't find any at Costco ... I've been using pecan chips with rave reviews in my house ...
Smokers:    WSM 22" | WSM 14.5"
Performers: Plum SS  | Red Fade SS