Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Brisket #1  (Read 5464 times)

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
Re: Brisket #1 (in progress)
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2015, 02:14:21 PM »
Looking great, A-T-S! Can't wait to see the results...
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2015, 02:59:37 PM »
Hurry up. I want to see the results. ;D Some day I want to try a brisket.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2015, 04:39:01 PM »
Nate I know you would totally nail it ... because I just did!

Everyone raved. Nice and tender although it wouldn't win a competition. Had to slightly cut with a knife, but nearly did pull apart without it. Very tasty, too. Even the bark sorta perked up, didn't think it would.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2015, 05:13:32 PM »
Yep, just right !!!!

Not dry & crumbly at the edges & looks dang moist too !!!!

Good show, man !!!!!!!!!

What was the holding / resting or finishing setup?

If you pull gently from each end of a slice it should pull apart easily......from the look of it, it will.....again, nice cookup!!!!

I just saw a thing about it @ Bretheren  am going to put up a quick thread with the link to the article...... ;D
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2015, 05:54:09 PM »
... What was the holding / resting or finishing setup? ....

Unless this conflicts with what I typed above, I moved it to an unused (cold) kettle for about 15 mins and then to the kitchen oven set at about 200 for about 30 mins. I used that temp on the chance my temp readings outside were a little less than ideal since some weren't yet to 200. And also because the oven won't go below 170 anyway (I tried.)

And then on top of the stove (a little more than room temp) for almost 45 more minutes to bring it down.

The math doesn't quite add up but it rested/held for 1.5hrs, maybe a touch longer I suppose. It stayed foiled the whole time. Carved just enough slices to eat and served.

One thing I found interesting about most of the online searches regarding brisket is that everyone says for best results do a whole packer, and so none of the cook or resting times apply to these smaller pieces. How much longer would that have been? Would I have needed to use the 26?

Even though I waited to foil it until it was already into the stall (160s/170s) I was still surprised it reached done temp in "only" 2 hours, I don't know why I was surprised unless it's because I have so little experience BBQing to these higher temps I usually have run out of time first. I had visions of it being dinner time and the meat not much beyond 180.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2015, 06:11:28 PM »
Wow ATS, looks incredible! Super moist looking, I'd say you nailed it, and great play by play too

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2015, 06:48:29 PM »

Unless this conflicts with what I typed above, I moved it to an unused (cold) kettle for about 15 mins and then to the kitchen oven set at about 200 for about 30 mins. I used that temp on the chance my temp readings outside were a little less than ideal since some weren't yet to 200. And also because the oven won't go below 170 anyway (I tried.)

And then on top of the stove (a little more than room temp) for almost 45 more minutes to bring it down.

The math doesn't quite add up but it rested/held for 1.5hrs, maybe a touch longer I suppose. It stayed foiled the whole time. Carved just enough slices to eat and served.

One thing I found interesting about most of the online searches regarding brisket is that everyone says for best results do a whole packer, and so none of the cook or resting times apply to these smaller pieces. How much longer would that have been? Would I have needed to use the 26?

Even though I waited to foil it until it was already into the stall (160s/170s) I was still surprised it reached done temp in "only" 2 hours, I don't know why I was surprised unless it's because I have so little experience BBQing to these higher temps I usually have run out of time first. I had visions of it being dinner time and the meat not much beyond 180.
Smaller pieces are harder as you don't have as much fat cap to protect it.  I do my brisket fat side up to allow the fat to melt into it.  I have read so many times "cook it until X temp" I call BS  each piece of meat will cook differently due to tendon makeup and fat content and when you wrap it in foil or butcher paper it will give up sooner and it will probe like butter!

ATS I would say you nailed it brother, it looks real moist!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
Re: Brisket #1
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2015, 03:07:57 AM »
Thanks, that was fun Learning...

...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

bladz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2015, 05:11:01 AM »
Question, maybe @1buckie can answer. Last brisket I made was tender but a bit dry.  Crumbly edges.  Probed tender @ 205, but I wrapped right away, no "loosely wrapped" rest, and into cooler w/towels for 2.5 hrs.  Not a lot of juice when I unwrapped it.  Should I let it rest for a period before tightly wrapping and putting in cooler?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2015, 09:11:31 PM »
So bladz, you cooked it naked to 205 and THEN wrapped it?

Might have overcooked it and/or not wrapped it soon enough, i.e. during the cook.

That said, of course not everyone wraps brisket at any time.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2015, 03:26:35 AM »
@bladz  ....A-t-S has got it.......if dry & crumbly, , then overshot the ending by a bit....

If it's a little tough & seems dry, but sort of hard to slice, then under cooked.....

What Ron says about smaller pieces also rings true.....less fatcap makes it a bit easier to overdo it, but also the weird thing is that a smaller piece may take almost as long as a great big one.......doesn't go by weight so much as it does thickness.......the heat still has to get down inside & melt down the collagen......

A few things I've learned from watching people that really know these things & do them all the time are:

Go by probe tender, an internal temp will just tell you approximately when to start watching....

If you wrap during the cook, it can be for bark or color & that will speed up the stall time (approx. from 155~175) usually quite a bit.....

If you wrap to rest, let it breathe for 10~20 minutes first, to slow the cooking somewhat, or.....the piece (this is in foil, not paper) will likely continue to cook if too much heat is trapped in.....

I go one of two ways.....
Either nekkid the whole cook & foiled to rest, or....

open up to the stall, then up on a low cookie rack in a pan, a little broth to start off the au jus & the pan foiled over  for the rest of the cook.......

Deciding factor is if it looks like it's dumping a lot of juice, then go for the save.......if it seems a little drier on the outside, then maybe spritz once or twice late in the cook & just let it go.......

That worked just right.......I've seen some people say start the oven up, then just turn it off & set the piece in, for a resting.....others say, just set it on the counter & let the temp fall to 155 or thereabouts....either way, or wrapped in a cooler, after a breather will work fine.....

Killer job on that piece, man........nary a crumble & excessive moisture.....the sweet spot !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Qreps

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2015, 05:41:02 AM »
Looks great. I loved watching Aaron Franklin do the comparison on rapping brisket. I've looked for red un-waxed paper with no luck. I've cooked may brisket un-rapped and love the results. Above 190 when the probe slides in with no effort is when I pull then rap in foil and a old towel and set in a cooler to rest. Good luck let the force be with you brother!

chefn58

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2015, 06:06:49 AM »

Looks great. I loved watching Aaron Franklin do the comparison on rapping brisket. I've looked for red un-waxed paper with no luck. I've cooked may brisket un-rapped and love the results. Above 190 when the probe slides in with no effort is when I pull then rap in foil and a old towel and set in a cooler to rest. Good luck let the force be with you brother!
Trying looking for "peach paper". You can usually find it by the roll or sheet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Searching for a Blue 18" MBH

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2015, 06:33:03 AM »

Trying looking for "peach paper". You can usually find it by the roll or sheet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, I was wondering about that. Found this, seems to come in 4 different widths.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/18-x-700-40-peach-treated-butcher-paper-roll/43318PEA.html

Qreps

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2015, 04:41:40 PM »
Thanks I'll have to give that a try.