Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Igniter getting hot  (Read 2827 times)

Pc

• Happy Cooker
Igniter getting hot
« on: June 05, 2015, 04:05:12 PM »
Hey guys. This is my first post. I've had a Weber kettle for a long time and just recently I picked up a blue performer off craigslist. What an upgrade! The igniter was shot so I ordered and installed a new one. I think it works fine. My question is this: the burner tube gets extremely hot. The wires attached to the igniter are also extremely hot. I can see a blue flame through the small openings in the burner tube where the gas line connects outside of the kettle. Is it normal operation for the flame to originate right where the gas hose connects to to the burner tube? Basically the whole burner tube is filled with flame causing it to get hot outside of the kettle. Just wondering if this is normal and safe. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 04:08:30 PM by Pc »

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
Re: Igniter getting hot
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 04:49:16 PM »
Could be a dead bug in the tube. Check that or just blow it out with some compressed air.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 04:53:20 PM »
The only place you should see flames @PC is inside the bowl , your burner tube may be plugged or your having a regulator issue , clean the tube , there are threads here that cover that process and then report back :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 05:00:06 PM »
No that is not normal or safe, pull the wire clip that holds the gas line to the burner tube, disconnect the igniter wires and unbolt the burner tube from the
bowl and remove anything that is blocking the flow of gas/oxygen mix. HFG, Idahawk are on the right track here..

« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 05:02:05 PM by mirkwood »
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

Pc

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 05:13:19 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I'll check for any obstruction.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 05:39:01 PM »
+1 to everything above. Take it apart and make sure everything is flowing freely. 
One of the charcoal people.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 07:29:37 PM »
Its orobably a load of spent charcoal in the burner tube.disconnect and blow it out

Sounds like gas is blocked and backing up
Grills

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 09:12:11 PM »
Also check that the orifice in the brass fitting isn't corroded.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 07:59:35 AM »
^^ Yes, and the wire from a bread loaf tie is about the right size to carefully insert into the brass oriface.

And if you've got a shop vac you can just vacuum out ash from whichever end of the burner tube you have access to.

Here's a quick 'n dirty shot I just now took, a little blue is probably OK but you're looking for a yellow/orange flame in a wide V shape at least 3-4 inches long:

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Pc

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 04:38:29 PM »
As suggested above, I think spent charcoal was the culprit. The gas was backing up and burning in the tube.I gave everything a good cleaning and it is functioning properly now. Thanks again for the replies.

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 05:19:16 PM »
That's great, glad it worked out for ya..
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 09:41:20 PM »
Glad you got it sorted out!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......