Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Who owns Weber?  (Read 8312 times)

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
Who owns Weber?
« on: May 31, 2015, 11:16:51 PM »
I always thought it was still a family owned business but I was recently told the family sold the BBQ side of the business to PLP and kept the restaurant side of the business within the family
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Rsmims

• Smokey Joe
Re: Who owns Weber?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 11:31:40 PM »
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Weber-Stephen Products

The Weber-Stephen Products LLC is a privately held American manufacturer of charcoal, gas and electric outdoor grills with related accessories.
In 2004, Weber-Stephen acquired some assets of competitor Ducane at a bankruptcy sale.
It also publishes grilling-related recipes and cook books.
The company was family owned until it sold a majority stake to BDT Capital Partners in 2010.

The 2010 BDT's acquisition did not include restaurant operations so the restaurants remained solely owned by the Stephen family. Although the brand name hasn't changed, they are now two separate companies with one focused on outdoor grills manufacturing and the other one focused on restaurants.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 11:37:52 PM by Rsmims »
I don't see colors, I just see kettles....And I want them all !!!
I like Pig Butts and I cannot lie.
I've seen the wild horses,   I've heard the bullroarers.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 10:26:09 PM »
What RSmims posted is correct. I decided to look more into BDT and found alot of interesting information with how Byron Trott, Chairman of BDT does business.

Excerpt from: http://fortune.com/2014/12/29/byron-trott-billionaires-banker/

The smoky aroma of barbecue wafts from the nearby kitchen at the Weber Grill, a bustling eatery in downtown Chicago. Jim Stephen, one of 12 children of the man who invented the original Weber grill (the iconic kettle-shaped barbecue that birthed an empire, including the restaurant group), revels in the homey ambiance as he tells his family story and how it became entwined with Byron Trott’s investment firm. Stephen was for many years CEO of Weber-Stephen Products, in the Chicago suburbs, and when he and his siblings wanted liquidity he snagged an introduction from another business owner to Trott, who was preparing to leave Goldman Sachs. After initially advising Weber-Stephen on its options, BDT bought a controlling stake in the company, retaining the family as investors but giving Stephen and some of his brothers and sisters control of their beloved restaurants.

The deal for Weber-Stephen was one of BDT’s first, in 2010, and it has all the markings of a BDT transaction. It took place three years after Trott and Stephen started talking, there wasn’t an auction to find the highest bidder, and some structural jujitsu resulted in satisfaction—financial and emotional—for all parties. Trott later added Lee Scott to the company’s board, a move Stephen says he’d never have dreamed of on his own. In retrospect, Stephen might have been able to get a higher price for his company, but then he would have been less confident about his father’s legacy. “Weber was successful because we built a quality product no matter what,” he says. “This means there were certain price points for grills we wouldn’t do. These are the hallmarks of a private business, which requires a certain kind of ownership. I got very comfortable with Byron and BDT being the next owner of Weber-Stephen.”
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

minnesotaman82

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 05:14:52 AM »
I have to say I was very worried about Weber when they sold controlling stake to BDT and put in Thomas Koos as CEO. I didn't like a venture capitalist firm taking over for a family owned business. But if there recent products are any indicator (new master touch, upgraded Performers) I feel the new leadership may actually benefit the company and bring it back to it's roots. I'm excited to see what happens in the next five years. Should be very telling.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 07:34:07 AM »
I have to say I was very worried about Weber when they sold controlling stake to BDT and put in Thomas Koos as CEO. I didn't like a venture capitalist firm taking over for a family owned business. But if there recent products are any indicator (new master touch, upgraded Performers) I feel the new leadership may actually benefit the company and bring it back to it's roots. I'm excited to see what happens in the next five years. Should be very telling.

Don't forget cheesy thin grates & $69 WallyWorld 'special' kettles......some things are great & some are expansionist hubris..... :o
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

minnesotaman82

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 08:06:54 AM »
Good point. I forgot about the "Walmart Special" kettle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 11:26:53 AM »
The thin grates is more upsetting to me.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 12:57:43 PM »
That's why I try and hoard up on the old style non flip grates that Weber sold up until 5-6 years ago. I forget the part number but I actually prefer them to the flip grates and certainly like them better than the stock OTS/OK thin grates..

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 03:01:07 PM »
I will say this:  2015 is the first year that I thought I could be happy using new grills.  The new Performer and the new Mastertouch are really impressive machines, arguably better than their predecessors.  I see myself happily cooking on them in about 20 years.  ;-)
One of the charcoal people.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 04:10:29 PM »
I will say this:  2015 is the first year that I thought I could be happy using new grills.  The new Performer and the new Mastertouch are really impressive machines, arguably better than their predecessors.  I see myself happily cooking on them in about 20 years.  ;-)

Spoken like a true GrillFella !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 07:46:14 PM »

Don't forget more parts being made in China.  I know the family owned had already started doing this, but now it seems even more of our beloved kettles are made over there.
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 08:04:22 PM »

Don't forget cheesy thin grates & $69 WallyWorld 'special' kettles......some things are great & some are expansionist hubris..... :o

Lee Scott, the new board member mentioned above is the former CEO of Wal-Mart. I wonder what kinds of deals they worked out. I would think that Walmart also like the fact that the 22" JJ boxes are shorter allowing them to fit more onto a pallet. Walmart takes that very seriously. I also bet that the went all out for cost reduction after the class action lawsuit forced them to not claim "Made in the USA"

To Mike's point though, I think Weber is doing a good job maintaining a good product line at all price points. The Summits are a thing of beauty.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 06:20:52 AM »
George wood eFin roll if he knew his Co. was whored out to a corporation. He was damn proud to have built such a strong family business.

"Stephen was always fond of pointing out that his company was a family business."

http://web.archive.org/web/20070623131242/http://weber.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=pageA&item=1

It'll never be the same
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 04:02:30 AM »
What RSmims posted is correct. I decided to look more into BDT and found alot of interesting information with how Byron Trott, Chairman of BDT does business.

Excerpt from: http://fortune.com/2014/12/29/byron-trott-billionaires-banker/

The smoky aroma of barbecue wafts from the nearby kitchen at the Weber Grill, a bustling eatery in downtown Chicago. Jim Stephen, one of 12 children of the man who invented the original Weber grill (the iconic kettle-shaped barbecue that birthed an empire, including the restaurant group), revels in the homey ambiance as he tells his family story and how it became entwined with Byron Trott’s investment firm. Stephen was for many years CEO of Weber-Stephen Products, in the Chicago suburbs, and when he and his siblings wanted liquidity he snagged an introduction from another business owner to Trott, who was preparing to leave Goldman Sachs. After initially advising Weber-Stephen on its options, BDT bought a controlling stake in the company, retaining the family as investors but giving Stephen and some of his brothers and sisters control of their beloved restaurants.

GREED

Basically a set of "kept kids" (not business minds) wanted more money & less work "restaurant is fun & soo vogue..."
& that was the beginning of the fall...
I assure you they (kid$) have out$ourced management of operation$ & No VC company would want to invest in the slim profits & floundering business plan of a "keep ya busy" restaurant.

Besides I'm not going to pay to eat/serve what I'd rather recreate myself w/ family or friends.
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

minnesotaman82

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2015, 06:28:20 AM »

GREED

Basically a set of "kept kids" (not business minds) wanted more money & less work "restaurant is fun & soo vogue..."
& that was the beginning of the fall...
I assure you they (kid$) have out$ourced management of operation$ & No VC company would want to invest in the slim profits & floundering business plan of a "keep ya busy" restaurant.

Besides I'm not going to pay to eat/serve what I'd rather recreate myself w/ family or friends.

If that's true (and we don't really know that it is), then I would actually be happy that they sold to a capital group and put a new CEO in charge. It might not be family owned anymore, but at least the people in charge are "business people" who are actually 100% focused on the growing the business and the Weber brand.

I'll go back to my original statement: The next few years are going to be very interesting for Weber (and it's fans). We'll start to see where this new ownership is going to take the company long term. Are they going to push our winners (new master touch and new performer) or take Weber down market (crap walmart kettle and thin grates). I hope it's the former.....