Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Looking for a recommendation for a Dremel or similar tool  (Read 1383 times)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Looking for a recommendation for a Dremel or similar tool
« on: May 29, 2015, 12:10:32 AM »
I'm looking at the Dremel 3000 or 4000.

Here's a review of both http://theblowblow.com/dremel-4000-vs-3000/

Does anyone have one of these or a competitor like Black and Decker? if I can find something cheaper that works well that would be great, but I would rather spend more for a quality tool that will last than getting a POS to replace later. I understand the numbers that follow, such as 6/50, refer to the major functions and attachments, respectively.

The first project would probably be cutting and modifying an 18" cooking grate to create a raised half rack for the 22" kettle.

Appreciate any feedback.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: Looking for a recommendation for a Dremel or similar tool
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 12:13:22 AM »
Also was thinking a corded tool - they tend to be more powerful than tools with batteries but would consider either if there is strong push toward cordless.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 01:01:52 AM »
If i were getting one i would get the 4000, because of the wide range of bits and accessories you can use, plus you get the flexible wand thing to use in tight spaces.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 03:07:28 AM »
Def corded...i dont buy battery tools anymore.

Corded is 100% power all the time.

I have the bd rtx and its worked flawlessly for many years and works with all dremel bits
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 03:09:12 AM »
Buy all your bits..especially fiberglass cutting wheels via ebay...100 piece for $12 landed.

The dremels cutting wheels and sanding drum bits blow out fast ..i wouldnt say they are any better than aftermarket
Grills

Chuck

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 05:11:09 AM »
I'm going with the 4000 if the price difference isn't prohibitive. I've used both and the 4000 has a few things that I like better about it when using it. I own a 3000 because it was a gift and it does work well. If I used it more often I would get rid of it and upgrade.

I'm not going to by a different brand to save money. Not because I'm worried about quality, but when you're doing some one off project that you need a different attachment or accessory for, its easier to find Dremel brand/compatible gear from friends than XBrand accessories.
This is a fairly cheap hobby when you consider the time  with family and friends and how many meals are created.