Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WSM thermometer port HELP  (Read 6513 times)

tomtappel

• WKC Brave
WSM thermometer port HELP
« on: December 29, 2015, 04:48:48 PM »
Boys.....I'm in the club! Got a 14.5 wsm from St Nick. Got it all put together.....except for that pesky rubber thermometer port which is proving to be a real A hole. I'm trying to simply get it notched on the track, then slide it all around, but that's easier said than done. Are there any tricks out there?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
Re: WSM thermometer port HELP
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 05:23:39 PM »
I have heard of people having problems inserting that rubber grommet. Try soaking it in warm water to make it more pliable or a little vegetable oil on it for lubrication.

My WSM is a little older and didn't come with it so I have no experience installing one.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 05:25:34 PM »
Just get one part started and turn it like a tire machine mounting a tire , kick it a few times , drink a beer , cuss and then you'll have it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 08:23:58 PM »
Push the edges in with something stiff that won't scratch the porcelain such as a handle of a disposable utensil. Once you get a piece of the edge in, hold it with your other hand and continue around the perimeter
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 05:18:42 PM »
So I have sitting on my desk two silicon temp grommets for my twin 22.5 WSMs. All I have to do is to drill a 1 1/4 inch hole between the top and bottom grill 1/4 inch forward  of the bracket screws. So what's stopping me?  I'm afraid to....
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 04:42:37 AM »
Bend the top and botton of the grommet down a bit so you can insert a corner into the hole....then work the grommet in from there little by little.  I had the same issue at first...
Get oast the thought that the grommet might tear..its thick and made of durable silicone /rubber.....you have towork it in ..little by little...
Again.....its not fragile so work it in
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 04:45:13 AM »
So I have sitting on my desk two silicon temp grommets for my twin 22.5 WSMs. All I have to do is to drill a 1 1/4 inch hole between the top and bottom grill 1/4 inch forward  of the bracket screws. So what's stopping me?  I'm afraid to....

Easy stuff...just tape the area that you want to drill..mark the pilot hole and start with a pilot hole and then gradually step up the bit sizes several times till you get to 1/4"...after use a fule to clean up the burrs and use touch up high heat bbq paint to prevent rust.
Pilot hole and taping the drill spot is key so the porcelain doesnt fracture past the target hole size
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 04:46:24 AM »

Easy stuff...just tape the area that you want to drill..mark the pilot hole and start with a pilot hole and then gradually step up the bit sizes several times till you get to 1/4"...after use a fule to clean up the burrs and use touch up high heat bbq paint to prevent rust.
Pilot hole and taping the drill spot is key so the porcelain doesnt fracture past the target hole size
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 04:48:13 AM by toolhead »
Grills