Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Dad's lasagna  (Read 2573 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Dad's lasagna
« on: May 31, 2015, 04:06:21 PM »
From GA I drove Friday to my mother-in-law's Friday in north TN to drop off the dog for the week ... then onto St. Louis. It was a long day of driving, but some of the crew were curiously more tired than I was.

From her place I needed GPS for part of it, which was fine until we drove past this,

Re-started the GPS and good to go.

So Friday night my dad tells me he's already assembled lasagna, probably for Sunday night,

"Great," I say. I'll check to make sure we have what we need for the grill."

"WHAT? No way, you're not gonna do that! Not to MY lasagna," Dad says. <sigh> Stop me if you've ever experienced something like that before.

"I've got this oven right here ... brand new ..." Take a look, it's fancy,

No Im serious, this thing is big inside and today they come with a "water tray" built in that's used for the self-clean mode, steam cleans it. Supposedly self-cleans in less than an hour!

But my evangelistic days are behind me. I'm not about to just forge ahead, have something go wrong and then It's All My Fault. No thanks. I let it drop.

But by Saturday my dad was telling everyone how "we" were gonna cook the lasagna on the grill. <sigh>

*skip to Sunday, today*

I found this grill for him 2 years ago. Just today he asked me a few questions about. He may even use it one day himself.

"What temp would you do if using your oven, Dad?"

"Oh, I think 350."

"Not a problem."

It's almost done cooking. What's funny is his new oven is electric oven takes a dog's age to heat up. I think getting the kettle up to temp with charcoal lighting was faster ... I know this because we used the oven to test the new oven thermometer in that grate pic above.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Dad's lasagna
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 04:15:50 PM »
What a great story.....what's he squintin' at n the one pic (also priceless) the other therm on the handle?

Smoked lasagna is pretty good too, but I don't get to interfere enough with the wife's cooking to do that often.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 05:00:52 PM »
Good story, I'm kinda surprised he decided to move it out to the grill.

I wonder if they don't show nuclear power plants on GPS's out of security concerns, or if it was just something the plant puts out that makes it go a little haywire?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 06:28:05 PM »
Yes he was looking at the lid thermo. I was telling him that two charcoal baskets of KBB running full open = 400 degrees and that's about what we were getting here, before I closed down the intakes a bit.

When it was almost done we went out to check it. I made it this far and knew it was a winner, just from the smell.

My annoying sister, who normally would appreciate the effort, especially since I drove all day to get here, wasn't "impressed" ... "tastes just like in the oven, but not as crispy as it should have been."

Forgetting for the moment why she likes crispy lasagna (WTF is that?) I'm OK with as-good-as-the-oven. But it did have a gentle smokiness to it. Which I'm ... addicted to.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 06:38:55 PM »
Good show !!!

My sister's not very annoying, I taught her the snake method at Dad's memorial.....good that he's still around to have this kinda fun with ya !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 07:04:59 PM »
Looks like a fine dinner.....even if you did mess up the crispiness!!!

That Kettle is a beauty and fine gift.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 07:06:39 PM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 07:21:55 PM »
Nice!
May The Smoke Be With You!

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 08:10:32 PM »
Love it...that story sounds familiar.  I left my performer with my dad in STL last summer.  I'll see it again in July.  Also, seeing the Schlafly makes me jealous.  Schlafly Kolsch is just about the best thing there is on a summer day...if not Urban Chestnut Zwickel...man I miss STL sometimes. 
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 08:44:23 PM »
I run hot and cold on some of the Urban Chestnut ... but that didn't stop me from getting a t-shirt, growler and a few refills over the years at their 2 locations. And I'm a fan of Schlafly Kolsch as well. Picked up a 12-pk variety box yesterday ... at CVS.

Visiting from Georgia it's so weird to see craft beer and hard liquor (decent hard liquor, too) at the pharmacy. Or grocery stores. Yet another reason I like coming back.

Ate at Ferguson Brewery yesterday. Got a growler of a special release, Hoppy Bock in the fridge!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 08:46:04 PM by addicted-to-smoke »

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 08:49:27 PM »
That do look good!  We have done lasagna in the DO and it is sooooo good!  Enjoy your cooking time with your Dad.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

chuck s

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 03:24:03 AM »
Awesome man.... love the look on your Dad's face .... priceless

say hay for me and Flo (he likes her better than me anyway) ;)

The real test is what did the kids say?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 06:21:08 AM »
The kids are the kids ... they ate without complaint but they always like pastas anyway. Dad says hi.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 08:29:04 AM »
Great story ATS, looks like time well spent with the fam... and Lasagna on the kettle! Awesome.
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E