Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My Lime 22 rehab/clean-up  (Read 8696 times)

Jeff

• WKC Performer
My Lime 22 rehab/clean-up
« on: January 20, 2013, 08:40:39 AM »
First off, I'd like to thank Shaun in helping me get this grill.  When I got it from him, it was in good overall condition with the exception of a couple areas.

1)  This grill had a dent in the lid.  It appears that it was tapped out from the inside of the lid cover.  When it was tapped, it popped the dent out for the most part, but caused the paint to fracture and chip in a small area.  There is also some light "crazing" around where the original dent was.  You can see in the first picture that the color used to try and cover the chip really wasn't that close.

2)  On the underside of the bowl, there were some significant chips around the vent holes.  I heard the dampers were frozen shut with grease, gunk, and your usual buildup, but X10!  A previous owner must have tried to knock them loose with a hammer and possibly hit the paint by accident. 

Aside from this, there were your usual wear items.  The triangle leg support was rusted and dirty, the legs were oxidized, dampers on the bowl were nasty and bent, white walls on the wheels were faded, etc.

So comes to the part trying to find a paint match for this lime color.  I'd like to preface by saying this grill will be a looker, not a cooker.  So a high temp paint was not important to me.  Thats a good thing because a high temp paint in this color isn't available. 

I tried all your usual auto parts stores and home supply stores looking for a lime aerosol paint can.  I found maybe 3 shades total...none of which were even remotely close to a match.  Next step I went to a Napa Auto parts store near me that does computerized paint matching.  I brought the grill lid in so they could scan the color.  What the computer mixed up wasn't close either.  The person working there offered to try and tweak the color and blend other shades with it, but I declined.  For the amount I needed, the cost didn't justify it. Next I tried Home Depot.  They also claim they can match any color you bring to them with their computer matching system.  So I brought the lid to them and had it scanned.   They mixed up some paint and it wasn't close.  It was more of a yellow color than green.   The employee offered to try and blend the color with other shades as well to try and match it.  So at this point I said fine and did some other shopping.   When I came back, he had found a color after 5 different attempts to modify the original computer choice.  It wasn't perfect by any means, but the best way I could describe it was that it was "acceptable" to me.  For those of you that have limes that may want to touch them up...I have the computer code for the lime paint I used from Home Depot, but remember, it probably won't hold up if you actually use the grill and get it real hot.

So the following photos are some of the things I did and the various steps.

This picture shows the lid when I got it.  You can see the chip as well as the paint color that was used to try and make it look better.  Not a good color match.

In this photo, I used a Bondo Spot Glazing putty to fill the low areas of the chip on the lid so once it was painted, you wouldn't see the typical recessed area and it would be much smoother.  This glazing putty is typically used in automotive applications to fill any imperfections in a primer coat prior to spraying the final paint.  This stuff applies very easy, dries quick, and sands smooth very nicely.  If you look closely under the coat of the putty glaze, you can see the test area of some paint dabs I used.  I didn't take any photos of the area after it was primed, but in the pics below, you can see the primed areas of the bowl

This photo shows the bowl after I removed the dampers.  There were significant chips in the paint around the vent holes.

This photo shows the same area after the spot putty was applied.  I did sand it better after so there was no putty over the good paint.

This photo shows the same area once primer was applied over the putty.

Photos showing the damper area after paint.

Photo showing the new dampers and new legs installed

Rehabbed wheels

And lastly...the final product!

Here's another in the daylight.  I took off that triangle leg support in this photo and have the original back on.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 08:57:09 AM by Jeff »
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Craig

• WKC Mod
Re: My Lime 22 rehab/clean-up
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 08:48:43 AM »
Outstanding work, Jeff!  :D That's a pretty Lime and looks brand spankin' new! How easy is it to remove the original vents?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 09:41:10 AM by Craig »

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 08:50:04 AM »
Nice Job Jeff! Looks Fantastic!  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 09:37:17 AM »
That is ridiculously nice.  Well done.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 09:51:28 AM »

Nice Job on that !!!!

The color is very close....

One thing to keep an eye on is that bondo & other metal patches may flex at a different rate than the original metal, under heat conditions.....

Just check in with it now & then, got that from my brother whose been around hi-end automotive
paint jobs for years.....

Extremely nice clean up !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 09:54:35 AM »
Hey Buckie..its a "looker"...not a "cooker"    This ones days of cooking are over.  No need to worry about the high temp paint...or lack there of!

Looker is defined as a grill that is meant to look at only
Cooker is definded as a grill that we actually use!

Now you're up to speed!

Thanks for the compliment!

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 11:09:49 AM »
Nice Job!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 11:30:16 AM »
Hey Buckie..its a "looker"...not a "cooker"    This ones days of cooking are over.  No need to worry about the high temp paint...or lack there of!

Looker is defined as a grill that is meant to look at only
Cooker is definded as a grill that we actually use!

Now you're up to speed!

Thanks for the compliment!

Cool Beans !!!!

I'll get rid of that  "They all have to work" mentality soon enough hangin' around you folks !!!!

Tremendous Job !!!!

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 11:32:13 AM »
Yeah Buckie, I know you don't know this...but when you have at least 25 different grills...its pretty hard to use them all!!  :)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 11:37:16 AM »

23 at last count for me.....

All but three in rotation.... 8)

Take that back....Four.....

But a few are going to fix up for show.....

Thanks to being enlightened to the possibility around here !!!!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 11:39:21 AM by 1buckie »

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 12:07:49 PM »
Looks real good, i like it!  Sadly all of mine are cookers (9)  ;D
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 12:09:16 PM »
Yeah Buckie, I know you don't know this...but when you have at least 25 different grills...its pretty hard to use them all!!  :)

It must take a half a day to gather them for a family picture.  :)
Count of 5 limes now for WKC members?

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 02:48:18 PM »

It must take a half a day to gather them for a family picture.  :)
Count of 5 limes now for WKC members?
Four.   ;)

Great rehab on that Jeff! Even the top handle is in great condition. I also like that it's a Bar-B-Kettle. That's one beautiful lime!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 02:50:08 PM by Duke »

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 03:17:43 PM »
Saw that bad boy in person the other day and it looked great...good job Jeff!
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 03:24:46 PM »
W
O
W