Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: More adventures with Central American-style grilling ... rib-eye steaks  (Read 3001 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
There was talk of grilling and some movement was made to find ... yes, find ... the old scary gasser that I still bitch about whenever I show up. One hot spot of Hell and the rest stays cold. And that's before you hot wire the AA battery to start it. No thanks, I declined once more to use it.

Spent most of the afternoon with a chainsaw, cutting up some apple tree branches for a future fruitwood! When done and enjoying my second IPA, four thick rib-eyes showed up for me to grill. Butcher cut to 1 1/4". My experience with grilling thick steaks, let alone $36 worth, is exactly zero.

background on this setup,
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/sweet-potatoes-cooked-on-a-'central-american'-style-grill/msg154128/#msg154128

So the grill lid must be removed,

Gather some charcoal, kindling on ground etc and light it,

Every show has groupies and hangers-on. My mother in law has our puppy's sister. Those dogs wore themselves out playing with each other.

Time to season the meat. The spice rack must be carefully observed, things chosen wisely and with great care as many bottles have been reused for other uses or don't even have labels. Only the kitchen's owner knows for sure what's what. The "smell test" for each jar must be used!

Hey all I really want is salt and pepper, maybe something else interesting. OK here's the salt ... WAIT, no that's not salt!!

(You understand the challenge now.)

This holds the ground pepper. Except when you smell it, it smells like cumin has been added. Whatever.

I took this stuff (not the Borax) added some other stuff along with olive oil and made a paste to coat the meat with.

So here's the basic setup. The gasser gave up one of its cook grates. I need to find a round one somewhere between 16.5" and 17" diameter. With detached side table we'll call this a "Performer Bronze (Age)"

Let's grill!

Pulled off some for them's that wanted more rare,

The rest now ready to come off; everything got cut in half to gauge doneness because I had no thermometer.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Way to rock the "Twig burner" man !!!!

A little practice on the Webers goes a long way toward the ability to work with any rig.....
those steaks look grand !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Yeah but remember on that setup, twigs in the basement wasn't used. Both times the charcoal as started top-down, with twigs on top and then lit. The charcoal below the twigs started just fine. Similar idea to a reverse campfire or chiminea, where you light the top and not the bottom of the wood.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

WNC

• WKC Performer
Looks like you handled it well!
I like this set up, even when I saw it the first time. It makes you remember how primal and basic cooking out is, just need heat and meat.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Cool looking grill!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

chuck s

• WKC Brave
OK ..... now you're getting it!!   :o
Those steaks look perfect .... see you're a coachable kid!!   ;)

Good job What I'm looking forward to is your 1st cook on the 26'er in St. Louis!!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador

Good job What I'm looking forward to is your 1st cook on the 26'er in St. Louis!!

The glass of Brandy might have helped.

And now here, is your moment of zen: http://vid1056.photobucket.com/albums/t378/dgdeckert/IMG_4556%202_zpsdcjrppns.mp4

chuck s

• WKC Brave
LOVE the gong man!!    from now on you cook with Brandy!!  with or without the BBQ  ;D

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador

"see you're a coachable kid!!   ;)'

Yep, I knew he'd come thru with flying colors !!!

Here's a "Teachable Moment" brought to you by @addicted-to-smoke  & a cast of dozens here at the WKC !!

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/3lbs-boston-butt-never-done-anything-like-this-before-best-course-of-action/

One of my favorite "Live Update" cooks I've ever been a part of............ 8)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
I'm truly afraid to click that link. Sometimes it's better not to relive the past. It gets in the way of making new mistakes LOL. (I hope.)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
I'm truly afraid to click that link. Sometimes it's better not to relive the past. It gets in the way of making new mistakes LOL. (I hope.)

Naw..............that one's more fun than a frog in a glass of milk !!!!~!

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Killer steak and really cool set up!

chuck s

• WKC Brave
I did it ..... I "clicked the ink"!!
Here's a "Teachable Moment" brought to you by @addicted-to-smoke  & a cast of dozens here at the WKC !!

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/3lbs-boston-butt-never-done-anything-like-this-before-best-course-of-action/

What a fantastic read ..... I can "see" it happening.  Many of the Masters chiming in to walk him through it!!   I LOVE this site!! ;D

@addicted-to-smoke - you have done "grate" in the last couple of years!! ^^

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Yep.....

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
...- you have done "grate" in the last couple of years!! ^^

Thought I was doing OK until I recently read some people here still play with lighter fluid and then when you told me that Mixon is a fan of the fluid ("just wait till it burns off ...")

I feel a regression coming on. Might need to go outside and burn some burgers and dogs.