Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: first overnight cook on 14" WSM  (Read 2465 times)

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
first overnight cook on 14" WSM
« on: May 24, 2015, 12:05:25 PM »
so last night put on a boneless pork shoulder loaded the charcoal ring MM till it was pushing against the water pan with kingsford and apple wood chunks put the meat on about 11:30 watched the temp till about midnight was cooking per the lid thermometer around 225 and went to bed. at 7 am this morning it was still running just above 200 stirred up the coals there were some left didn't seem like enough to finish things up to me, so i loaded about another half chimney full unlit into it but the temp had dropped by then a bit and was taking awhile to come back up i stirred the coals again while i started maybe 8 coals in a small chimney to toss in also temp was starting to rise by the time coals were hot so i tossed the hot ones in to opend the vents all the way up for a while till the heat was about 225 again and backed off the lower vents just a bit also filled the water pan with hot water it looked to be the only thing left in it at 7am was probably the grease that dripped out of the pork shoulder so by 8am i was off to go score a daisy wheel red weber kettle then another trip to get a mismatched red bottom performer that almost went to the scrap yard anyway here are a few picks of the cook

pork shoulder with mustard rub

grill ready for meat

adding some coal this morning

meat ready to come off

pulling the pork nice smoke ring and bark

lunch time with a nice brown ale home brew
BBQ to live live to BBQ

WNC

• WKC Performer
Re: first overnight cook on 14" WSM
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 01:50:19 PM »
Those are some great looking sandwiches!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 09:22:35 PM »
I agree those sandwichs look delicious!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 03:20:37 AM »
@northwestkettle. The 14.5" is a overlooked wsm.

She is a fine cooker and sips on charcoal and space efficient too
Grills

chefn58

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 03:35:36 AM »
@northwestkettle. The 14.5" is a overlooked wsm.

She is a fine cooker and sips on charcoal and space efficient too

I couldn't agree more.  They run consistent and are perfect for a shoulder or 2.  It is also less work not having to mod out a SJ. 

And yes!  Those sandwiches look great
Searching for a Blue 18" MBH

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 09:23:11 AM »
@toolhead @chefn58
What kind of run times are you guys getting on a full load of charcoal I would guess I might have got another hour without adding more coal so like 8 hours on a heaped ring and it was lifting the water pan just a bit when i put the top on my set up is all totally stock with internal heat deflector
BBQ to live live to BBQ

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 09:35:39 AM »
@northwestkettle

Not sure im the best benchmark.

I reuse all leftover coal  ....

Estimate based on running her would be maybe 8 hrs full load at 225..in fair 70 degree weather.

Grills

chefn58

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 10:15:08 AM »

@toolhead @chefn58
What kind of run times are you guys getting on a full load of charcoal I would guess I might have got another hour without adding more coal so like 8 hours on a heaped ring and it was lifting the water pan just a bit when i put the top on my set up is all totally stock with internal heat deflector

I typically get right around eight hours. I usually heat the water before I put it in the pan to help reduce the preheating time.

I fill the charcoal right up to the bottom of the water pan without touching it. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Searching for a Blue 18" MBH