Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Any tips for making a glaze?  (Read 2426 times)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Any tips for making a glaze?
« on: May 19, 2015, 06:09:19 PM »
Looking mostly for ratios. I always make way too much glaze. It doesn't take more than 1/4 to glaze salmon for two people (I'll post pics from our anniversary dinner later in Recipes) and I always end up with a pot full. I start with liquid, knowing it will reduce, but either 1) it doesn't reduce as much as I think it will or 2) I get impatient because I didn't start it early enough, so it didn't reduce enough. Then I end up adding a ton of sugar to get it the correct thickness of a "glaze" and not a "sauce".

Does anyone have a good method to start with a known quantity of liquid and sugar and end up with a lesser known quantity of proper thickness glaze?

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
Re: Any tips for making a glaze?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 07:08:15 PM »
known quantities, no. sorry, I don't measure anything. for my glazes, I start of with more sugar/honey than I think i'll need then add the flavors. if it's reducing too fast, i'll lower the heat some and cover(so the condensation from the lid drips back down into the glaze and keep it from thickening too fast). if it's not reducing fast enough, I crank up the heat and add more sugar/honey. when doing a glaze, frequent stirring is a must. it keeps the heavier sugar from settling to the bottom(and burning). if you're adding the glaze post cook, make sure you take it off a few minutes before it's too thick(cooling will thicken it up very quickly). if you're adding the glaze during the cook, make it a hair thinner than you want it to be and coat the meat 3-4 times during the last 15-20min of the cook. that will allow the layers to set up without burning the sugars and gives you a "jus" you can drizzle over the meat just prior to serving.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 07:19:07 PM »
known quantities, no. sorry, I don't measure anything. for my glazes, I start of with more sugar/honey than I think i'll need then add the flavors. if it's reducing too fast, i'll lower the heat some and cover(so the condensation from the lid drips back down into the glaze and keep it from thickening too fast). if it's not reducing fast enough, I crank up the heat and add more sugar/honey. when doing a glaze, frequent stirring is a must. it keeps the heavier sugar from settling to the bottom(and burning). if you're adding the glaze post cook, make sure you take it off a few minutes before it's too thick(cooling will thicken it up very quickly). if you're adding the glaze during the cook, make it a hair thinner than you want it to be and coat the meat 3-4 times during the last 15-20min of the cook. that will allow the layers to set up without burning the sugars and gives you a "jus" you can drizzle over the meat just prior to serving.

That's a great rundown, right there !!!

Thanks !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 07:26:03 PM »
Hmm, I've done a few maple glaze salmons. And a couple have been incredible. Usually for 4 of us, so not a ton of meat, right? I just use a tiny mixing bowl, a few tablespoons of the syrup + whatever else, stir and GO. I don't reduce anything on the stove; I'm too lazy for such sophistication unless following a recipe.

But don't go by me. My salmons likely aren't a true glaze, just a sticky maple sauce sorta. By the time it's cooked, it's all good. Maple is already sweet; don't know that i've ever added sugar to it?

I'm reminded of the problems with using BBQ sauce, or of adding soda to liquor: go easy, or you'll obscure the main event!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 02:51:54 AM »
add pepper jelly, guava jelly etc. for some sheen
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 09:49:25 AM »
Good stuff. I like @mrbill recommendation to start with sugar and then add liquid, that should help. I'm not much of a measurer either, so it's a learning process (and sometimes I just don't learn!)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 09:25:39 PM »
@austin87, have some room temp or cold spoons ready for when the glaze starts to reduce to where you want to start checking it. At that point cut the heat, and place some glaze into the spoon. Continue to reduce it until the glaze cools down to a consistency you want.

This is how people test for jam thickness.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 11:30:24 PM »
@austin87, have some room temp or cold spoons ready for when the glaze starts to reduce to where you want to start checking it. At that point cut the heat, and place some glaze into the spoon. Continue to reduce it until the glaze cools down to a consistency you want.

This is how people test for jam thickness.
That's brilliant.