Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: random frozen pizza  (Read 1762 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
random frozen pizza
« on: May 16, 2015, 05:18:29 AM »
Just a leftover picture from last week. I forget the brand but this was a super-thin crust frozen pizza. I added the peppers to it however.

I already prefer thin crust, but thin crust is easiest to do well when you're not using a CI skillet or anything resembling a dedicated pizza oven.

I used my standard "low and slow ..." pizza setup, a Pampered Chef stone atop 2 firebricks on their long edge for height and running on a chimney's worth of charcoal spread around the perimeter. I could get more heat/faster time (don't ask how long this took) by lighting a 2nd chimney, but don't actually own a 2nd chimney, at least not full size.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Rsmims

• Smokey Joe
Re: random frozen pizza
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 09:18:41 AM »
Have you tried making your own dough and pizzas? Once you have made your own dough and pizzas on the kettle, you''ll never buy store bought or pizza restaurant crap again. It's a weekly tradition at our house. The wife makes dough on Friday and we have Pizzas or Calzones over the weekend. Mmmmmm........ Calzones......(Honey ! Get the dough out and I'll lite some coals)....Gotta go !!!!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 09:20:36 AM by Rsmims »
I don't see colors, I just see kettles....And I want them all !!!
I like Pig Butts and I cannot lie.
I've seen the wild horses,   I've heard the bullroarers.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 12:54:08 PM »
Rsmims, that's on the to-do list, yes. Just not an immediate priority for research. I suppose I could begin with grocery store dough and proceed from there.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 12:55:26 PM »
Little something I like to add to the flour before I start the kitchen aid a whirlin':  A little cinnamon.  and I mean just a PINCH.  just adds this extra layer to the taste.  at least we think so.

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 01:03:42 PM »
I will say though, a very good ready made dough out here on the east coast is made by Portland Pie Co.  Shaws carries it near me.  They offer several flavors but you can't go wrong with either basil or garlic dough imho.

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 01:24:00 PM »
and since we're talking frozen:  Digiorno's Italian Style Favorites Meatball Marinara.  OMFG!  I have my wife buy every single one she can get her hands on 'cause I'm afraid they'll discontinue them!

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 08:59:30 AM »
I burned the crap out of the last pizza I made. I didn't know what I was doing and piled the coals under the stone rather than around he edge, and had no way to raise the pizza higher in the kettle dome. Needless to say, the crust was asphalt by the time the top was anywhere near cooked, but the top half was salvageable.

I'm looking forward to giving it another go with some of the tips and tricks picked up here.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 09:30:41 AM »
Been, there, did that too. Yeah if you search you'll see some common ideas I think, such as:

* Keep heat towards the perimeter. It'll "curl up" on the kettle sides easier so that it hits the lid and comes back down; the toppings get done better and the middle of the crust doesn't get blasted.

* Doing the above, some guys will report a pizza stone isn't even necessary actually.

Do you have firebricks? Mine are solid clay from reclaimed construction, same thing essentially but have an insulating property about them that some firebricks don't have? For this reason I use them sparingly and for pizzas, only as height spacers. If I were to lay them down flat, necessary if using my 18, they absorb a little too much heat but guarantee the bottom crust can't be burned.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 09:34:01 AM »
"* Doing the above, some guys will report a pizza stone isn't even necessary actually."

That would be me.....never used a stone.....almost always small, personal sized pies (sorta like the Personal Turkey Meatloafs)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"