Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Bros Metal Works Restore Question.....  (Read 1605 times)

harris92

• WKC Performer
Weber Bros Metal Works Restore Question.....
« on: May 17, 2015, 04:51:17 AM »
Bought this Chestnut Weber Bros from Ron about 8 months ago.  Ron, made a repair to the front leg about 25-30 years go.   I had a 1" diameter steel metal round measured and cut for a replacement.  What type of drill bit should I use to drill the hole for the utility pan attachment (cobalt, titanium)?  Any brand preferred?  What should I use to keep the leg in place to keep it from rolling while drilling?  Should I make a dimple with a tap to start?

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weber Bros Metal Works Restore Question.....
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 07:03:55 AM »
If you mark the spot you want to drill with a marker or something then wrap the leg in an old towel and clamp in your vise then for sure use a center punch to dimple the center of your hole and if you say you are drilling into a steel leg high speed steel bit should work fine use a little oil on the bit and the leg while you are drilling.

very cool 56 or 57? grill you got there
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 07:05:52 AM by northwestkettle »
BBQ to live live to BBQ

jimmy_dong

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 07:29:22 AM »
I would try to find a wooden dowel that is as close to the ID of  the leg as possible. You clamp that in a vise and you run the risk of egg shaping the leg.

These legs are kind of thin.

I would do the same thing using a center punch.

Cobalt bits are fine. No need for anything high speed. Just go slow, speed is what kills most bits anyways. Start small and work your way up to the final size.

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 07:46:10 AM »
ok so i was thinking that was like heavy galvanized pipe is that like emt steel electrical conduit ?
I saw the heavy coupling on the old leg
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 07:48:26 AM by northwestkettle »
BBQ to live live to BBQ

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 08:57:16 AM »
.058" thick

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 09:33:00 AM »
Ok then you want to be careful clamping it I would still center punch the hole location lightly high speed steel is just the basic drill bit the other cobalt and titanium are just coatings they put on bits to make them harder so they don't dull as fast just drill slow so you don't pop through hard and dent the other side of your leg jimmys idea of clamping a wooden dowl is good to put the leg over and drill if you have or can get one that's stout enogh to hold it and will save you from punching through to fast and denting the front side of the leg

Good luck
BBQ to live live to BBQ

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 12:17:07 PM »
That's one fine looking grill there, good luck with the leg!