Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What charcoal do you like, and why?  (Read 12480 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Re: What charcoal do you like, and why?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2015, 09:32:13 AM »
I've seen some people comment that TJ falls apart when dumped out of a chimney and it doesnt get hot enough:

I will agree that if you wait until the top of a chimney is glowing the bottom coal will start to disintegrate somewhat since the all natural binder breaks down but i haven't seen it affect my temperatures. The disintegrated TJ briqs will still  put off heat  cook more thoroughly and produce way less ash.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 09:33:48 AM by CharliefromLI »
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2015, 09:41:53 AM »
I tried TJ early on and didn't like the experience, it didn't seem to hold together will and cook as evenly or hot as KBB.

If I go there an may try another bag just for the heckuv it.

I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2015, 09:42:15 AM »
Like w/ my kettles, I tend to use almost all of the above mentioned, and rotate them out.

When KBB goes on sale, I can't deny it, and find myself using it for the summer into early fall. Then I just feel like a change and pick up a bag of lump or RO Briquettes and usually stick w/ that for awhile. Usually around the same time I rotate the performer back to the side of the house so I can use my Copper OTS.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2015, 10:33:27 AM »
I'm wondering if some of you are getting bad bags of coshell or something.
It does take a little longer to light, but you don't have to wait for it to be 100% ashed over like kingsford....
I dump my chimney when the top coals are just starting to ignite and the flames coming from the top are white hot.

I haven't tried igniting with the starter cubes though, maybe they don't burn long enough?
I use homemade starters :\

@Troy do you have a recipe for homemade starters? I would love to get in on that. I do agree that Coshell is really reusable and I do like that aspect of it.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2015, 10:44:01 AM »
I'm wondering if some of you are getting bad bags of coshell or something.
It does take a little longer to light, but you don't have to wait for it to be 100% ashed over like kingsford....
I dump my chimney when the top coals are just starting to ignite and the flames coming from the top are white hot.

I haven't tried igniting with the starter cubes though, maybe they don't burn long enough?
I use homemade starters :\

@Troy do you have a recipe for homemade starters? I would love to get in on that. I do agree that Coshell is really reusable and I do like that aspect of it.

It's SUPER simple. I'll write it up for a full guide for it.

essentially you save your dryer lint (clothes dryer) and you save your cardboard egg cartons.

fill each egg 'hole' with lint. melt a bunch of paraffin wax and pour a couple tablespoons into each little compartment.
each compartment will burn from 6-10 minutes depending on lint and wax.
i started making them with old candles from my wife's candle habit, but now I buy the block of wax from hobby lobby when its on sale

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2015, 10:50:33 AM »
Ummmm.....polyester & cat fur starter cubes.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2015, 10:51:56 AM »
Ummmm.....polyester & cat fur starter cubes.....

yeah, since we got our 2nd dog, our lint has become a bit more furry
Still burns great, just smells funny at first :P

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2015, 10:58:41 AM »
i've switched to Stubbs pretty much exclusively.

no funky smells, seems to give less ash than KBB, has a great smell while getting going, is ready faster than the others i've tried.

i've used royal oak in the past, but wasn't as happy with it as i am Stubbs.

I only use kettles with lid bales.

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2015, 11:04:21 AM »

essentially you save your dryer lint (clothes dryer) and you save your cardboard egg cartons.

fill each egg 'hole' with lint. melt a bunch of paraffin wax and pour a couple tablespoons into each little compartment.
i started making them with old candles from my wife's candle habit, but now I buy the block of wax from hobby lobby when its on sale
while that may work, it sounds gross.   :-\

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2015, 11:21:15 AM »
I’ve been using Kingsford blue since I can remember.  Honestly, I never even consider another brand until I joined this site. These discussions are what make this site so interesting. Since then I have been experimenting with other brands but always go back to KBB due to consistency. I’m sure a lot of it has to do with me simply being more comfortable knowing how it burns.  I recently started mixing lump with KBB and getting good results. 
May The Smoke Be With You!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2015, 11:33:43 AM »

while that may work, it sounds gross.   :-\

What is gross about wax and dryer lint?
Weber cubes are wax and fillers.

If dryer lint flips your freak, use charcoal dust or saw dust. Pick up a shitty blender at the goodwill store and grind up charcoal to use with the wax.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2015, 11:43:04 AM »
Pick up a shitty blender at the goodwill store and grind up charcoal to use with the wax.

Get a Vitamix already.  It can handle charcoal without blinking.  No need for a disposable blender here.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2015, 12:16:10 PM »
Pick up a shitty blender at the goodwill store and grind up charcoal to use with the wax.

Get a Vitamix already.  It can handle charcoal without blinking.  No need for a disposable blender here.

I prefer blendtec :P

but the reason for getting a junker is because I don't want to put non food items in my good blender.

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2015, 12:39:22 PM »

If dryer lint flips your freak, use charcoal dust or saw dust. Pick up a shitty blender at the goodwill store and grind up charcoal to use with the wax.
why would i bother making them when they cost $4 for like, 24 of the little white cubes? 

hey i consider myself cheap, but not pull out the dryer lint and bake a cake cheap.   :P

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2015, 12:51:18 PM »

why would i bother making them when they cost $4 for like, 24 of the little white cubes? 

hey i consider myself cheap, but not pull out the dryer lint and bake a cake cheap.   :P

I think they work better. they're fun to make. they're cheap. and its kind of like recycling. more earth friendly than weber cubes (no packaging material for landfill)

you have to pull the lint out of the dryer anyways :P