Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Direct grill or cast iron sear scallops?  (Read 1310 times)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Direct grill or cast iron sear scallops?
« on: May 04, 2015, 04:37:25 PM »
Heading says most of it... I got some scallops for dinner tonight and am wondering if I should do them directly on the cooking grates or in a cast iron pan on the grill.

Starting the fire in about an hour and will post pics whatever I do. Thanks for any help!

chefn58

• WKC Brave
Re: Direct grill or cast iron sear scallops?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 04:40:36 PM »
How big are the scallops?  U10 for sure on the grates but 10/20's may be too small.

I've also planked them and it works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Searching for a Blue 18" MBH

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 06:07:10 PM »
I like a golden brown sear or pan fry on mine but have never cooked them actually. Well, I bought a frozen bag once of small ones but have no clue what I did to them. Probably baked them in something. Sorry, not any help here.

If they're "water added" or whatever don't expect much of a sear compared to the dry packed/sticky kind.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 01:37:32 PM »
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/seafood-grill/

Cook here - like addicted-to-smoke said, not much of a sear on them. Still tasty though

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 07:41:54 PM »
Dry em with paper towels. Scorching hot griddle or cast iron pan. Butter pan right before you put em on. I cook em by sight. Maybe 5 minutes or so..then flip.  Pepper to taste
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 07:45:00 PM by MINIgrillin »
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.