Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Dutch Oven Chicken in Milk  (Read 1837 times)

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Dutch Oven Chicken in Milk
« on: May 02, 2015, 08:22:27 AM »
This is a simple and extremely delicious meal with a rich, creamy and lemony sauce to sop up with a nice crusty bread.

I lit  a full chimney of charcoal and arranged the coals for direct heat under the DO .  I salt and peppered the chicken and added to the DO a mix of a 1/2 stick butter to about the same amount of olive oil.

I browned the chicken on all sides for about 15 minutes then I transferred it to the grill on direct heat for about 15 minutes more . While the chicken was grilling I removed the majority of fat from the dutch leaving behind the fond then placed the chicken back in the pot. I removed the majority of coals from directly under the Dutch and placed them around the edge for more of a baking set up.

Next I added the milk, garlic , lemon zest and fresh sage and a cinnamon stick , then I scrapped  the bottom of the dutch with a wooden spatula so I could get all the yummy goodness from the bottom on the pan to integrate into my sauce . I used whole milk , enough to cover about half way up the chicken in the pot.

Cook uncovered at 375 for about 45-60 minutes basting with the sauce  and turning the chicken over once while stirring the sauce . Cover and continue to cook for about another 45 minutes to an hour again turning the chicken once and stirring the sauce . Cook until chicken is falling off the bone and tender. Remove bones and other undesirable parts , salt and pepper to taste.

Serve

You can just eat the chicken, serve as a stew or wrap in tortillas . We like it as a stew with crusty bread using the garlic cloves in the dish to spread on the bread like butter :) 

1 whole chicken
1 cinnamon stick
10 cloves garlic un- peeled
Zest of two lemons - stuff remainder in chicken cavity
Hand full of sage leaves torn slightly
Milk ( amount would vary )

" Esto Perpertua "
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 07:24:05 AM by Idahawk »
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: Dutch Oven Chicken in Milk
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 08:45:03 AM »
I've heard of something like this, it looks absolutely incredible!

Sharp looking red MT too.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 08:49:52 AM »

I've heard of something like this, it looks absolutely incredible!

Sharp looking red MT too.

The Naked Chef did it years ago , all the chuck roasts being cooked up reminded me of the recipe

" Esto Perpertua "
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 09:20:28 AM »
That looks outrageous!  Thanks, dude.   :D 8)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 11:59:47 AM »
Nice!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 12:53:49 PM »
That looks delicious!

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 01:23:26 PM »
Damn. I like that. A lot. Thanks.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 09:06:30 PM »
Dang if that don't look good!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

chuck s

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 03:55:20 AM »
OK - just when I thought I'd given up on full chickens!!  This is on the list.  I want to do more with DO on the MT - thanks for the inspiration

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 08:45:08 AM »
OK - just when I thought I'd given up on full chickens!!  This is on the list.  I want to do more with DO on the MT - thanks for the inspiration

@chuck s he used a 12" (7QT) dutch oven for this and I thought yours in that size had a crack?

On the other hand, the 5QT (10") ovens we have should work if the chicken is cut up, especially since this cook didn't involve setting the DO down into the GBS grate opening (a 5QT DO would fall through.)

The turning/flipping/removing aspects would be more involved, but doable. This week???
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

SixZeroFour

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 11:28:22 AM »
Wow - that looks and sounds delicious. Glad to see the MT is already getting put to good use! 8)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E