Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Beer Can Chicken  (Read 2524 times)

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
Beer Can Chicken
« on: April 24, 2015, 05:44:05 AM »

*** This chicken was not made with the disposable tin *** Turns out better with it!!!

4Lbs to 5Lbs Full Chicken Cleaned
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Weber Beer Can Chicken Seasoning
1 Stick Of Butter
Hickory Wood Chips
½ Can Of Beer (Miller/Bud) For Me!
Small Disposable Tin 6"W x 8.5"L
Medium Disposable Tin 12 3/4 ¾” x 10 3/8”
1 Medium Onion
Cooking Time about 1-1/2 hours Check Temp!

•   Preheat grill to 350°F for 30 min with wood chips in Small Disposable tin keep woodchips dry
•   Clean Chicken (Remove liver and heart) this is a must!
•   Peal and quarter Onion and insert ½ of onion into chicken
•   Drink or DON'T pour out ½ of beer can and insert ½ stick of butter into beer can
•   Put tbsp of Weber Beer Can Chicken Seasoning into beer can
•   Season inside of chicken and then place beer can into chickens ass :o
•   Place chicken into medium disposable tin
•   Season outside of chicken and put extra virgin olive oil onto chicken
•   Melt other ½ of butter and baste chicken every 20 min from juices and melted butter from chicken that have collected in medium tin
         (I use clarified Butter)
•   Turn tin with chicken 180 degrees after 45 min
•   Check the chicken temperature after about 1 ½ hours. Insert a thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken (by the breast) it should read 175-180 degrees, also the juice should run clear when coming out
•   Remove and let sit for 10 to 15 min before Cutting

I do one chicken for 3 people with very little leftovers (NONE)!
This is great with Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Corn on the Cob, and an Ice Cold BEER!
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Beer Can Chicken
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 06:28:52 AM »
*** This chicken was not made with the disposable tin *** Turns out better with it!!!

So, do you think the pan would have shielded it some, kept moisture in, or ? I've never done beer can chicken but have seen it cooked both ways, either straight on a grill or in a pan like Weber's perforated one.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 08:52:30 AM »
Good looking chicken!  I know there is a lot of debate on whether or not putting seasoning or what not in the beer can makes a difference or not, what do you think?
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

chefn58

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 09:05:33 AM »
From my understanding and reading a fair amount about it, the type of beer or seasoning in the beer plays no role in imparting flavor into the chicken.  It is strictly for keeping the chicken standing up and supplying the cooker with a beverage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Searching for a Blue 18" MBH

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 02:17:22 PM »
. I like using the tin to collect the juice, then baste the bird with it. As far as the beer I have used many different beers and only noticed a difference when I used GUINNESS beer, the seasoning on the other hand I always put in I believe it gives it more flavor.

**** If using GUINNESS put into another can,GUINNESS has a plastic ball in it that may send some nasty fumes into the bird.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 05:31:31 PM »
Yours looks great! I don't really cook beer can chicken. I will use a vertical roaster but the kettle lid height makes it a little difficult. I usually spatchcock, leap frog, or smoke whole but not vertically. I am excited to use my vortex as a deflector and cook up the vertical chicken right on the charcoal grate.

My old roommate had a Green Mountain pellet smoker and made some awesome beer can chicken, so I'm not knocking it but I generally use other methods.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 04:27:51 AM »
I will use a vertical roaster but the kettle lid height makes it a little difficult.

@austin87 , cook them down on the charcoal grate.  Plenty of room.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 04:41:49 AM »
Wow! Looks great!

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 08:54:32 AM »
I will use a vertical roaster but the kettle lid height makes it a little difficult.

@austin87 , cook them down on the charcoal grate.  Plenty of room.

Sweet, thanks. I'll definitely have to give that a try. Those look great! @MacEggs what temp do you cook them at? I'd be afraid they would get a little burnt that close to the charcoal. I guess I could always use a piece of aluminum foil to cover hot spots cooking a little too fast.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 09:03:43 AM »
Sorry, I can't really help you.  TBH, I'm not a big "measure the temperature" kinda guy.

I just cook, eat, and drink … And, sometimes I be Mary .. or, is it Merry?  :o ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 09:54:06 AM »
No worries! That's part of the fun. Thanks!