Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vent cleaning  (Read 1714 times)

chefn58

• WKC Brave
Vent cleaning
« on: June 10, 2015, 06:02:00 AM »
I need help getting the bottom vents cleaned of this grill.

What works best/easiest.

I didn't see anything in the restoration links.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Searching for a Blue 18" MBH

SixZeroFour

Re: Vent cleaning
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 09:36:14 AM »
Hey chefn58,

Here's the way I would attack this...

1) First hit the vents with a 120Grit sandpaper and get them back down to metal and smooth out as much as possible. Don't worry about etching the vent with the sandpaper at this point. If you have a Dremel tool, you can also use a mini wire bell brush and it will help take it down as well.
2) Once you have it smooth and showing the metal move down to a 180Grit and just go back over each vent to get them even smoother. Try to always sand in one singular direction at this stage rather than swirling it all over the place. You'll see the payoff a step or two down.
3) This step may not even be necessary but I like to finish off with a final sand at 400Grit to get it looking even smoother.
4) Finally hit it with your best available metal polish. Mothers wheel polish, simichrome or any similar product should do the trick. This step takes some elbow grease but you should now be seeing the results of your effort. Again a Dremel with a polishing tip and paste also works great for this.

Good luck man and post up some after photos for us 8)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

bladz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 10:58:08 AM »
Great! Thanks for the question and answer.  I have some vents that look exactly like that.  Kind of put  off working on them, and thought maybe they we're beyond help.  Now I'll give this a try!

SixZeroFour

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 11:20:40 AM »
If you guys want to be extra cautious you can also mask off the porcelain around then vents so that you don't accidentally scuff the bowl with the sandpaper.

GL and post up your results! 8)

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 04:55:17 PM »
Can yhis be done for the rivet head too? That holds the damper?...not sure if rivet head is zinc coated metal or aluminum
Grills

SixZeroFour

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 07:15:08 PM »
The rivet head is a tricky one - some will polish right up, others stay a dark almost rusted color. Either way you shouldn't harm it giving it a polish.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 03:28:15 AM »
Tks..i think its bc some are zinc coated steel and others are aluminum...?
Grills