Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Size Envy? Tricks for Maximizing Grill Space?  (Read 4071 times)

ed3120

• Smokey Joe
Size Envy? Tricks for Maximizing Grill Space?
« on: June 19, 2015, 10:58:57 AM »
I dumped my gas grill a few years ago for my first charcoal grill...a 22" Weber Performer.  I LOVE it.  But I always wish I had a little more space, as most gas grills (including the one I owned) are bigger.  Does anyone else feel the same way, or do you have any tricks that you use to maximize space for big cookouts?

I find that the 22 is a good size for my family of 4, but when a large group comes over, it fills up quickly.   I know I can buy a second grill, but I'd like to find a way to stick with one, as I'd only use #2 a few times per year and I'd rather not store and maintain another grill.  If the Performer came in a 26" model I would have bought that, but it didn't.  I love the propane starter option, which is why I like the Performer.  I also prefer one big side table over two smaller ones.

I bought a Hovergrill to get a second layer, but I don't like the legs on it.  Whenever I fill the many grill with meat and then try to place the Hovergrill on top, the legs always get in the way of the meat on main grill and then I have to shuffle everything around.  It would be nicer if it mounted on a single pivoting vertical rod or something so that you can spin it in and out of the way.

I think for my next cookout, my plan is going to be to smoke some stuff ahead of time so that it's ready when the guests arrive.  Then, pull it off, crank open the air holes, and dump some fast cooking burgers and dogs on.

I think some of the space issue that I have may be from my hit or miss ability to keep the grill at the right temperature while mingling with guest.  (I'm picking up a temperature controller to assist with this.)  Then if I can keep the grill at a constant hot temperature, I can keep rolling food on and off the grill at a constant pace.  That's probably the right way to use a smaller grill.

Anyway, the popular charcoal grills....Webers, Akorns, Big Green Eggs, for the most part seem to be this size....always 30-50% smaller than the gas grills I see in stores.  Maybe it's a function of being able to stay hot without using too much charcoal. 

Most people that have switched from gas to charcoal to upgrade their taste have probably also downgraded their grill space.  What tricks do you guys have to maximize it?

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
Re: Size Envy? Tricks for Maximizing Grill Space?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 11:06:02 AM »
Sorry you took away my answer when you said you don't want to buy another grill. [emoji15] that's pretty much my go to for everything... Buy another one!  That's how I ended up with so many and on this site.

The 26er would add a lot of space.  Lot of real estate there.

So... You don't want to buy another one?  Are you sure?  That feeling/thought is so foreign to me that it didn't compute. Like you just broke my brain. How are you going to be the crazy guy down the street with all the Webers without a dozen grills? 

Any way good luck!! 

Buy another one!

chefn58

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 11:12:24 AM »

Sorry you took away my answer when you said you don't want to buy another grill. [emoji15] that's pretty much my go to for everything... Buy another one!  That's how I ended up with so many and on this site.

The 26er would add a lot of space.  Lot of real estate there.

So... You don't want to buy another one?  Are you sure?  That feeling/thought is so foreign to me that it didn't compute. Like you just broke my brain. How are you going to be the crazy guy down the street with all the Webers without a dozen grills? 

Any way good luck!! 

Buy another one!

Agree!!  Buy another one. I have a family of 5 and regularly use multiple grills for just us. I also take the whole meal off the grill; meat/fish, veggie and potato.

I don't think there is a perfect answer for you. If you want a 26" performer you may have to make one yourself. It can and has been done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Searching for a Blue 18" MBH

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 11:19:00 AM »
Make a floating grate
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 11:32:32 AM »
Pick your favorite color & join the fold...

...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 03:22:03 PM »
Just standard answers from me.....here's what you can do with an 18.5".....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/previous-don't-really-need-all-those-kettles-just-one-18-12'-5/msg7900/#msg7900

You can build up........

See also the stackers, home made, Cajun Bandit, there are other brands also, even a rotisserie ring I think can also be used with a grate in place.........

Elevated half grates can be constructed pretty easy........

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/tinkering-i-love-it!/msg107989/#msg107989

......or you can do what will get Ted's brain unlocked.....poor guy......

BUILD OUT ~~~>

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/ok-let's-go-down-to-the-field/msg87584/#msg87584

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Qreps

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 08:01:30 PM »
Love seeing all the grills in the yard makes me feel normal. Wife says I have a problem I only have 4 and she flips out over that but they make me happy. Cooking for friends and family haveing more than one grill is easier then trying to pack so much on one grill.

shiner

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 08:05:03 PM »
J

Elevated half grates can be constructed pretty easy........

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/tinkering-i-love-it!/msg107989/#msg107989

That is genius! I'm going to have to do that.

I do want another kettle though, the crimson 22 has really been catching my eye a lot lately.
If anyone runs across a good deal in Oklahoma please let me know.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 06:42:52 AM »
@shiner 

I think these are some of the more descriptive pics & plans for that...... @Craig  has also done some nice ones just by bending the excess rods around to form "feet"....

There were some older threads on this but the photos lapsed, so they are useless.........
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"