Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Volcano potato  (Read 3283 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Volcano potato
« on: April 16, 2015, 04:18:27 AM »
This one's from BBQFOOD4U's Jason King, check the link for the recipe: http://www.bbqfood4u.com/the-volcano-potato.html

Had major assistance from my neighbor. You could do it yourself but it's more fun to cook with someone else, especially if they help rein in some of your wacky ideas mid-cook. Ooh, shiny! I get distracted sometimes. Like now.

So I built a 1-chimney indirect heat source utilizing a standard Weber kettle cooking apparatus, available in fine shops and at the occasional curbside near you.

A small bag of baking potatoes was procured. The potatoes themselves were also small-medium; not like the large ones in the video.

Foiled them and placed what would fit down in the basement onto the coals. Two smaller ones rode up top. Turned a few times, added the center section of my Gourmet grate and then added sweet and jalapeņo peppers to roast and a few random carrots, sliced lengthwise.

Pictured next is the basic assortment of the stuffing, after it was used. Small pieces of deli turkey, cheese (2 kinds were shredded) the mixture of now cut-up peppers and carrots, "volcano sauce" (sour cream + hot sauce, possibly the 8th Wonder of the World) and off in the distance some chives.

All prepped. Doesn't look like a lot, but this (and some baked beans and streamed broccoli that arrived late by some meal participants) fed 6 adults and 4 little kids, with one potato left over. The stuffing added something like 80 pounds to the potatoes. (That figure is approximate.) AND the 'fridge has a nice bowl of "mashed potatoes" that used to be the insides of the 12 potatoes. Still with me here?

After the potatoes finished cooking, leftover bacon was cooked up, because ... bacon. And it looks like so:

Griddle grease was saved for future use. And the griddle was brought inside to warm up leftover pulled pork, because ... pulled pork. Did I mention 3 of the potatoes employed pulled pork, not the turkey? (We also engaged a combination of turkey bacon/pork bacon wraps for various attendees.)

From grill:

Hold on a sec, let's take a closer look!

And with volcano sauce/chives:

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Volcano potato
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 04:21:59 AM »
This was insanely delicious. And as you can imagine, you can customize it a zillion ways from Sunday for whatever twisted turn you care to take. Just my style.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 04:31:48 AM »
WOW!!! This is definitely on my to cook list.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 05:03:03 AM »
Now that looks mighty tasty........as well as something I could make for the women I live with and have it eaten and not complained about. For that I thank you. I need all the help I can get.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 05:13:39 AM »
As I type this, a most incredible breakfast is happening.

Cooked down some spinach leaves and added them to saved potato innards, turkey, cheese, bits of that bacon, roasted peppers ... and of course volcano sauce/chive action. Why can't I eat like this every morning? :)

Grill_Jitsu

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 05:14:34 AM »
I was so confused at first... I was busy chuckling at your writing and drooling on that fantastic photography that I thought those were the peppers that you stuffed, but nope. Those are stuffed taters and they look GUUUD!

How cool would it look if you were able to get that volcano sauce a little more pink or red?? Hmmm... I see red dye #7 in my future.... I'm def adding this to this weekend's list!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 05:18:06 AM »
Tremendous post, Mr. "I cook, write & take pictures for a hi-class food magazine" guy...... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

chuck s

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 05:35:21 AM »
The red color tint came from the hot sauce combinations we used - we used two different types.  If you use a more colorful red hot sauce it would be more red/pink ..... BTW - I'm the neighbor

Grill_Jitsu

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 05:53:36 AM »
Howdy neighbor! No, really, you're (almost) my neighbor too... I live near Marietta.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 08:23:33 AM »
Why, as I live and breathe! Lookie who finally logged in here, the Meat Whisperer, the Prince of Charcoal, the Purveyor of Pork, the Duke of Culinary Delights, and Mr. MasterTouch his own self, @chuck s !

Welcome to the WKC!

chuck s

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2015, 08:25:07 AM »
Sure is good you don't talk like you write!! 

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 08:44:42 AM »
Sure is good you don't talk like you write!!

I'm still learning how to pronounce the big words. :)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2015, 10:05:54 AM »
Howdy Chuck !!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 10:21:15 AM »
Well that is pretty awesome looking.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 02:17:14 PM »