Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Why is this?  (Read 1812 times)

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
Why is this?
« on: September 23, 2013, 09:03:08 PM »
I know everyone here despises ebay. However, can anyone offer any information about this: Whenever you enter a search on ebay for a 26.75 Kettle, there is continually a person (or persons) selling whole, new, complete Kettles for fantastically low prices. It is ALWAYS the same people selling them. Unsavory characters with shady, questionable backgrounds. ie... low feedback ratings (90% or less) or minimal feedback (usually 5 or less). No return policy and as soon as the auction is over and the sale is complete, the sellers ebay identity is immediately dissolved and the account terminated.

Seems like they always sell these grills for unbelievably low prices ($200 for the same grill everyone else is charging $300?). They are up for auction for only a day or two, then quickly disappear; only to reappear a few days later under a new sellers identity. What's the deal with this? Does anyone know? Are these grills hot? (no pun intended) Is this stolen merchandise? Damaged goods? Has anyone ever bought one of these off ebay?

I have been searching for an ash pan (saucer type, not a OTG ash pot) for a 26.75 kettle. That's what prompted this discussion in the first place. I keep thinking one will come up on ebay eventually. It hasn't so far. If anyone has an extra one or knows where one can be gotten, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks all.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Why is this?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 04:57:14 AM »
No idea, I stay away from e-bay and only deal on CL locally.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 05:42:15 AM »
not sure about the eBay thing but have seen similar sellers sell multiple 26ers with good feedback.  The prices seem to climb once they sell a few and there is positive feedback. 

As for the 26 saucer replacement, check part #60601.   Its the regular suacer ash pan (need the leg clips to hold it to the grill) but it is a bit larger than the pan for a 22.  I recently ordered one and can verify the size difference.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 05:55:52 AM »
With ebay, for me it's all about feedback rating and reputation and distance oh and pictures of the ACTUAL item being sold. I got my 22 brown off ebay last year and the seller was 4 hours away and had an impeccable rating. It was properly packed and no damage. Oh and they took lots of pictures of the grill for the auction. Even revealing its scratch on the lid.  IMO the more pictures of the actual item, the better. I'm not a fan of "stock" photos even if its NIB. Take pictures of the actual sealed box. I know I'm being picky but its ebay and you want to see what your paying for. Parts however (ash pans, wheels etc) I'm not as worried about but would prefer pics and part numbers of the actual ones being sold. Especially if they are vintage.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 05:58:41 AM by Craig »

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 08:32:41 AM »
A bunch of times it's just bullshit auctions, where a product doesn't actually sell.  Hell even their feedback could be that, I know a guy who sells a lot of video games on Ebay, and when something isn't selling asks friends to bid on it and leave him positive feedback.  So no money traded hands and nothing got sent but they play the game like it did.  Part of the reason I don't talk to him any more was cause he asked me, I said no, and he flipped out. 

Then there's the knock offs. I swear 90+ % of the GBA and DS carts on ebay are bootlegs.

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 07:14:10 PM »
Heres a pic of a regular 22" ash pan nested in the 60601....not much of a size difference but it is bigger. 

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 07:24:30 PM »
That's interesting Stu, I never would have believed it.

Craig

• WKC Mod
Why is this?
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 08:29:01 PM »
Looks like the 26" disc still have the old thicker rolled edge to them?