Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Snake Method on the Ranch Kettle  (Read 18876 times)

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
Re: Snake Method on the Ranch Kettle
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2015, 12:51:31 PM »
Given the volume of the ranch, would it help to split the snake up and run 1/2 on opposite sides ?
I had the same thought and was going to try that next, but after starting it with 30 lit briquettes it hit 225f in 20mins..... I did have to adjust the vents for the next 2hrs to keep it between 225-250f but once the 30lit ones burnt out and the snake was lit it settled and didn't require much vent control for the rest of the trial which was 10hrs. I estimate you could get a 40hr cook if you had the snake running around the entire charcoal grate.

Golly and I have been thinking about how we could turn it into ranch WSM similar to @Prof. . Only problem was it was cost a fortune to get a middle section built. So I decided to put our roti ring on to see how the temps went. Well.... It handled beautifully, I had to close the top vent to 1/4 open to control the temp but once I found that sweet spot it sat at 235f for the next 3hrs 8)
So I'm getting some brackets welded to the inside the ring to support a second grate. It'll only have 6 inches clearance between the racks but that should be enough for most cuts we'll be cooking and the larger cuts can go on the top shelf where the lid gives it more clearance
We have to cook for 50 people next weekend and have 120 guests at a wedding to cook for the following month so it'll be getting a proper trial very soon

After seeing that vents are all but closed with no meat I'm pretty confident it will hold temp even once the C.M.F. Kicks in

I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2015, 05:21:26 AM »
Awesome work Joel.   Bear in mind if you REALLY load that up with meat, that will effect the temps a fair bit.  A few cuts should make nearly no difference though.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2015, 12:33:08 PM »
Thanks G$
Could I use something to emulate putting cold meat in the ranch in a trial? Like a pan of cold water?
If so what's a good ratio of meat : water ?
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2015, 01:15:33 PM »
Meat is 75% water so if you are running a test for 40 lbs of food I would throw 30-40 lbs of water on there and call it good. For 100 lbs test do 75-100 lbs water, etc.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/connect/42a903e2-451d-40ea-897a-22dc74ef6e1c/Water_in_Meats.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2015, 05:19:29 AM »
Meat is 75% water so if you are running a test for 40 lbs of food I would throw 30-40 lbs of water on there and call it good. For 100 lbs test do 75-100 lbs water, etc.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/connect/42a903e2-451d-40ea-897a-22dc74ef6e1c/Water_in_Meats.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Not a direct comparison but that would be a great way to start the test, especially just to see how it behaves at the beginning.  Make sure you start with COLD water to replicate COLD meat mass.  Cool stuff.

phillyc0wb0y

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2015, 06:51:48 AM »
Thanks so much for the detailed experiment! Can't wait to try it out!

shayneh2006

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2015, 03:33:20 AM »
Nice stuff Hogsy. Good experiment...... The Snake heating the huge inside area of a Ranch is a ranch of a feat. Neat.....

Shayne

Prof.

• WKC Ranger
    • WeBBQ
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2015, 10:54:31 AM »

BBQ are never enough

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2015, 08:29:02 PM »
@Prof. is that homemade charcoal or Binchotan?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Prof.

• WKC Ranger
    • WeBBQ
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2015, 08:50:10 PM »
BBQ are never enough

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2015, 08:52:13 PM »
...This can help prevent charcoal grate "sag" over time.

The charcoal grate on my lone 22 is 2 years old. I just flipped it over because it's sagging. No bricks down there, OK maybe once. (But as you know, Performer char grates take a beating.)

...I then realized that the Ranch creates its own weather ...

sig worthy

Given the volume of the ranch, would it help to split the snake up and run 1/2 on opposite sides ?

Don't cross the streams. Cats and dogs, they don't play together. Please do not harm the time-space continuum.

Holy crap there's really nothing Prof. can't do with metal. I'm always Amaze.

Meat is 75% water so if you ...

Kids, do not try this at home. Austin is a scientist. A fricken' SCIENTIST. Professional grade shit here. His beaker is bigger than your beaker. Step back please.

;D
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Prof.

• WKC Ranger
    • WeBBQ
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2015, 08:57:50 PM »
hello, the coal that you see in the picture should be a native of Cuba.
Thx addicted-to-smoke
BBQ are never enough

Prof.

• WKC Ranger
    • WeBBQ
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2015, 09:23:21 PM »

with this setup ... I light the charcoal with a gas burner or with paraffin, I cover the grid with aluminum foil, I open the little vent in the side coal and other leave them closed and Vent Out I leave half open! doing so the ranch stabilizes between 230F-270F for 6/7 hours...until now I have never needed longer autonomies
BBQ are never enough

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2015, 02:43:08 PM »
So I guess that's a minion setup your using,
Is that how you setup the fire when using it as a Ranch WSM ?
I love the grate mod @Prof. Is that a long SS hinge on the grate?
                            WKC Collaborator

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2015, 04:07:39 PM »
"I estimate you could get a 40hr cook if you had the snake running around the entire charcoal grate."

@Hogsy  ....with the size of the charcoal grate in a Ranch, you could do a Nauitlus swirl snake......

From: http://etereaestudios.com/  artist using math in nature
          http://www.etereaestudios.com/index.html

Almost all the way around, then cut inside & mimic the curve around a second or third time......I've always wanted to go around like that several times & see how long it would burn continuously !!!!

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"