Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New section/sections  (Read 2899 times)

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
New section/sections
« on: April 05, 2015, 08:03:27 PM »
Maybe this has been covered already.

I seen @pbe gummi bear has a sticky pertaining to his Technical Reference Library in the Charcoal & Accessories section.There is alot of good info in that sticky and some of the posts in that post deserve more attention, but may still be somewhat difficult to find for someone interested specifically in cleaning or restoring etc.

This forum is still young and could more than double in membership in the next year or so, so maybe it would be a good idea to have the ability to separate and/or start some of the threads into other sections before it becomes a massive undertaking consolidating all that info.

Some sections that I think could easily stand on their own are Cleaning, repairing, restoring, recycling, modifying/parts, & fuel.

Thanks for providing the forum for us and the Webers.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: New section/sections
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 08:18:02 PM »

I seen @pbe gummi bear has a sticky pertaining to his Technical Reference Library in the Charcoal & Accessories section.There is alot of good info in that sticky and some of the posts in that post deserve more attention, but may still be somewhat difficult to find for someone interested specifically in cleaning or restoring etc.

This forum is still young and could more than double in membership in the next year or so, so maybe it would be a good idea to have the ability to separate and/or start some of the threads into other sections before it becomes a massive undertaking consolidating all that info.

Some sections that I think could easily stand on their own are Cleaning, repairing, restoring, recycling, modifying/parts, & fuel.

Totally agree, but I think we are beyond the point of it not being a massive undertaking. The topics need to be expanded and the links updated. There's so much good information out there that keeping the list up to date is a big commitment. Another issue is archiving- as the posts gets older valuable links to photos die.

Maybe we should lock the statemen into a room and not let them out until it's done.  :P
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 05:37:46 AM »
The site's homepage already has consolidated links for restoration and similar "static" topics. In that way, it functions well as a landing spot. The forums are different; they handle active topics.

Troy already knows I'm not an advocate for MORE sections; they already overlap with very similarly-related discussions. At some point you'd wind up repeatedly hitting up multiple subsections when browsing, especially when (not if) people will mistakenly post a thread to the wrong subsection.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 06:38:36 AM »

Totally agree, but I think we are beyond the point of it not being a massive undertaking. The topics need to be expanded and the links updated. There's so much good information out there that keeping the list up to date is a big commitment. Another issue is archiving- as the posts gets older valuable links to photos die.

Maybe we should lock the statemen into a room and not let them out until it's done.  :P

I didn't think photos would "die" all on their own.........I've never ONCE moved a photo on PhotoPhucket & as far back as they go, posted anywhere, they are intact......when people reorganize or delete their photos, the links are broken & disappear on whichever site........
I don't know if all the hosting sites are like that, or if some have a weird time limit or something, but really important threads are trashed because of it.....

Gummi, example:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/working-on-ss-performers-gummi-bear-build-log-pic-heavy/
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 07:56:21 AM »
Im not wanting to make more work for the men at the helm. Just suggesting to make the info more usable. My thought was to move a few threads oriented toward a particular topic and the members will post similar threads there.

If i wanted to clean my kettle as well as possible chances are Id look for a cleaning section to see how the rest of the webed community does it, I probably wouldent look in a blender for a clean spot.

Thanks again to the guys that make this forum what it is, Mods and members.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 09:59:21 PM »
@1buckie I hotlink my pics to Facebook so there's no guarantee the url will stay the same. :( All the pics are still there though.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 11:01:38 PM »
what we're currently doing is extracting some of the evergreen type of content and reproducing it in an easy to organize and easy to access section on the main site.
@SixZeroFour has been leading the restoration guides while @craig and myself are working on the age content.