Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: accessories storage  (Read 6832 times)

order66

• WKC Brave
Re: accessories storage
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2015, 02:18:44 PM »
Some good ideas for sure. I use a few sterilite containers for various items that reside in the garage until they are needed. A few items spend the "high-season" in the under-grill storage in the Summit 4-burner, but that presents seasonal challenges as most stuff winters in that garage. I like the idea of a deck box, but that doesn't solve all of my problems...Such "First-World" problems we Patrons of the pit face!!!
-JDP
| 22.5 Master Touch |22.5 OTG |Pit Barrel Cooker| U-Lime SJS | Kettle Pizza| Akorn Jr. | Big Green Egg | Jumbo Joe | Blackstone Griddle | Pit Boss Classic |

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2015, 03:10:44 PM »
"Patrons of the Pit" -- I like that!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Kettle Karl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2015, 07:31:55 AM »
I have all my charcoal accessories including Weber Pizza Overn, Corn n Tater Ring, Mangal Grill, Stainless Wok, rib racks, gourmet gratge, Vortex and a ton of other things in one large deck box. No water or dust gets in this thing and nothing has showed any signs of rust. It doesn't snow here in SoCal, so I can get away with leaving it on my patio.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2015, 08:03:08 AM »
Thanks @Kettle Karl , that seems substantial. I see a lift strut and decent hinge so I'm guessing that's no $10 cheapie. I'd consider outdoor storage if I knew it would keep out rain and (hopefully) insects.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2015, 09:09:25 AM »
Such "First-World" problems we Patrons of the pit face!!!

I do have to remind myself every time a face a bbq related issue.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2015, 09:22:14 AM »

My biggest problem is that I don't have sink in the basement yet, so I still have to go back upstairs when I need to wash my hands. I've been trying to get into the habit of bring down a second set of tongs to put the meat on the grill with, and then have another set for flipping and removing, but even with all that, I still always feel the need to wash my hands.

Wow, starting to sound a little OCD, but I've given myself food poisoning once. Not something you ever want to go through again!

Disposable latex gloves help!
Put a pair (or even two) on to rub/season the meat.  Use your gloved hands to put the meat on the grill. Peel off the gloves when you need clean hands.

I too used to grill very far away from the kitchen :)

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2015, 09:36:39 AM »
I am in the process of designing a cart to hold all my grilling gear.  The plan is to have it hook onto any Weber bowl handle like some of the tables I have seen here.  Basically it turns any Weber Kettle into a Performer, but with more storage.
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2015, 03:53:26 AM »
So I made a purchase ... HD currently has an in-store "special buy" 63-gal. deck box for $40 (it's not on their site, but is like this: https://www.suncast.com/patio-yard/deck-boxes/db6300.html?.)

It's by Suncast, but a "sub brand" of theirs. Very lightweight and so no, you can't sit on it. Has a hinged lid and wheels on one end. You can lock it, but the lock would only work if a thief forgot a screwdriver or box cutter ... the plastic seems that thin.

But for $40 I ain't complaining! It snaps together and there appear to be no major gaps. Raining today, so I'll know more about that later.

Here's a test-fit inside, for example it can hold the rotisserie ring on its end.

I also re-arranged stuff on the deck (maybe kinda like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic ...) and this Spring will clear out some nearby, indoor storage too.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2015, 04:41:38 AM »
Good plan.  Sometimes thinking "in the box" is the best way! [emoji6]
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Randy S

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2015, 07:44:00 AM »
I've got a deck box very similar to the one addicted_to_smoke posted on the patio near the smoker. It works great and has been out there year round (it *does* snow here). No problems yet - bags of charcoal are dry, Smokey Joe is clean/rust free, etc.

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2015, 05:30:13 AM »
That's just what I've been looking for!  And the pic with the roti ring inside seals the deal!  Thanks for posting this!

DTrainMike

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2015, 06:43:48 AM »

I have a propensity to build carts or tables for things I need
If you saw my garage you would understand, I have 4 rolling carts set up for different task, that way I can roll them away when finished
my grilling used to be set up around a mobile stickburner till I quit trying to spend all my money traveling to events every other week. Now I am building tables to organize it.
the dutch oven table was just the beginning, I have plans to putting the metal shelves I use for storage on wheels and am designing a cart for storage/workstation next, that way I can roll it all into the smoke cave when finished and have the yard for what it was designed for, hitting golf balls and putting

Ditto..... Purpose built solutions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk