Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How do you like your ribs?  (Read 8465 times)

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
Re: How do you like your ribs?
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2015, 07:12:19 AM »
All dry no wrap 250-275 is my preference. Whenever I wrap it's too fall off the bone which is still good but I like chewing my meat off the the bone like others. A little sauce at the end is good if I'm feeling frisky  ;D
WTB: Genesis Jr.

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2015, 10:15:19 AM »
I like mine with a St louis style cut if I am showing off, otherwise I go for a spare rib cut because all that meat is soooo gooood

I do a modified 3 2 1 method, 225 degrees

dry rub is a mandatory first step. I have developed 2 I like both are based in brown sugar, one I do and refrigerate for about 4 hours so it melts on. the other is rub and grill

I go 3 hours and then I wrap in foil using either my own BBQ, or Sweet Baby Rays

that goes 2 hours, at this point you could eat the ribs but I find that if I go about 30 minutes more unwraped the glaze will set and the last tenderness  goes into the ribs.

I do serve with BBQ sauce.

I have tried a lot of different methods, but that is the way I really like them, bones pulling out

If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2015, 12:31:40 PM »
Get the hip waders out I see there are LIARs around here too...

I'm caught... I do like sides and the wife makes me use a napkin but I don't talk to her
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 12:34:29 PM by MINIgrillin »
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2015, 02:40:50 PM »
Loin backs with the 3-2-1 method on my stick burner @ 225-275. Start with light coating of dijon mustard and whatever rub in my cabinet strikes my fancy. Spritz with apple juice when I remember to, usually about 3 times before 1 last healthy spritz in the foil just before wrapping. Large chunks of apple and pecan mix is my go to wood. Lately I have been using some peach I picked up at an orchard in Palisade Colorado and it has been fantastic! I sauce them with about 20-30 min. left in the cook. Usually just shy of fall off the bone.

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2015, 10:47:53 AM »
I like all types of ribs.  The way they are cooked really depends on the mood I’m in. Wet, dry, glazed, fall of the bone, fight off the bone, just put them in front of me and there is a good chance I will like them. Honestly, I really cannot remember ever having ribs that I did not enjoy due to the style of cook. On the other hand, I have certainly messed up and/or burnt a few racks in my day but that was just poor cooking skills.  If I had to pick a favorite it would be dry rubbed, glazed at the end and little tug off the bone.
May The Smoke Be With You!

moshea65501

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2015, 05:21:39 AM »
Is it better to spritz with like apple juice or basting ribs with sauce during the cook? Or both?

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2015, 05:43:20 AM »
Is it better to spritz with like apple juice or basting ribs with sauce during the cook? Or both?

The apple juice (I use 50/50 juice & apple cider vinegar) might be more to keep them moist during the middle part of the cook.......too early of a spritz & it washes the rub off.........so that's one aspect.......
Apple juice will sweeten a little / Cider Vin. will make a little tart, neither has a huge taste effect at the end.......

Basting with sauce ( depends a bit on what sauce) might be more of a late in the cook thing....some use regular thick sauce, some thin it out some (water, cider vinegar, A J) to more of a glaze........too early & the sugars in the sauce tend to "burn" or blacken from a longer exposure.......it tastes bad like that, to me.......

Kind of a long answer, but either, both or none......test out different ways & see what you & your's like.....

Example:

These, I think were one spritz, late in the cook, wrapped in foil just to transport.....

Pretty heavy smoke.....this is my favorite way....

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

moshea65501

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2015, 05:46:57 AM »
Appreciate it! Thanks

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2015, 06:28:01 AM »
Appreciate it! Thanks

Just some ideas......see what you come up with !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2015, 07:15:02 AM »
I like a dry rub with a variety of dipping sauces on the side.  I also like to have to bite and pull the meat off the bone a little.  The problem is.....the people I cook for would prefer a huge pile of mush soaking in some overly sweet BBQ sauce.  They would be happier with them from the crock pot.  My step daughter's idea of "perfect" ribs are what was sold at the old sports bar chain Damon's......BARF!

So I only cook ribs for myself now.
-Keith

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2015, 03:52:33 PM »
I used to do the 3-2-1 method but i got lazy and forgot to wrap, we liked the results so no more wrapping!  I will rub them down, go out and light the drum and let it get to about 275ish (never did get wrapped up on a set temp i let it settle were it wants to usually around 275 or so) i use apple and hickory i have been known to throw oak in sometime.  I put them on and sit back and enjoy the smells! No sauce no spritz (ok sometimes i will glaze them and that is rare) We then enjoy our ribs!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
How do you like your ribs?
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2015, 04:13:59 PM »
Char-Sui style spare ribs. I use the marinade in Wiviott's Low and Slow. I use high quality shaoxing wine. These are simply soaked over night and then thrown into the WSM.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2015, 04:18:30 PM »
The spares I just did were awesome.... Dry, untrimmed, 3 hours smoke, hour fifteen wrap with a little butter and cider vinegar, 45 minutes smoke again. Cooked at 275ish. I could probably do a whole 3-2-1 if I held 225 but I like to "bite off the bone" rather than "fall off." Since I was a running a little hot I didn't want mushy. Of course this is a one time occurrence and not a perfected method, but I think dry and spare ribs with bite are my favorite ribs.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2015, 05:05:25 PM »
St. Lou or back ribs, either way a good dusting of Penzey's amazing 'BBQ of the Americas', let it set on them for an hour or two (refrigerated or on the counter).  Then 250-275 for about 5 hours, give or take.  I like them with a bit of bite.  No sauce for me.  I like the dryness of no wrapping, but I might try to wrap them in butcher paper when that package arrives from Amazon. 
One of the charcoal people.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2015, 05:16:18 PM »
@mike.stavlund can you share the Amazon link for butcher paper? I've been wanting to give that a try vs foil but haven't found a reasonable sized amount that is untreated.