Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Roti or not to Roti is the Question  (Read 2519 times)

vic

• Smokey Joe
Roti or not to Roti is the Question
« on: April 04, 2015, 03:52:37 PM »
I need the forums advice. Picked up a 7.5lb Prime Rib Roast today that I plan on serving tomorrow. The question is not whether its going in the kettle, because it is!! My question is, should I cook in a roasting rack or put it on the Roti? Are there any pro's and cons to either type of cook? Thanks in Advance for your feedback.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: Roti or not to Roti is the Question
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 04:33:25 PM »
I've never used a roti on a kettle but have made awesome prime rib without it. Some people swear by rotis but the way a kettle cooks like a convection oven I don't think it should make a huge difference either way.

You've got good meat, use a good thermometer to pull at the desired temp, and you should be golden.

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 05:35:54 PM »
ever had a santa maria style bbq on a rotisserie?

if so you would know that beef roast do excellent on the roto.

are you doing it boneless? I would if I was doing the rotisserie, but would do bone on if just roasting it
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 06:14:42 PM »
Not one of the "Rotating People" here, but I think it would work well......maybe boneless like Jammato says?

Carve the bones out just a bit thick if they're not already cut back & you can do beef ribs also !!!!!

I know someone's done this, but I can't think of who just now.....the board's a little quiet....folks must be getting ready..... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

vic

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 06:26:43 AM »
Thanks All for your advice, greatly appreciated. Looks like I'm going with the Roti. Will post pics later.

Happy Easter to you and your's.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 06:43:15 AM »
I love experiments.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 07:16:23 AM »
I know that most guys think Santa Maria style is about tritip, but they also do a lot of sirloin roast on the rotisserie in that style, I think the rotisserie is the original style of Santa Maria style. My big ranch grill is set up with a rotisserie just to do Santa Maria style as I learned it 30 some years back.
Another big part of Santa maria Style is having the dutch ovens going. sides and deserts being Dutch Oven cooked
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

Les Lammers

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 10:07:09 AM »
I did a bone in rib roast on a Jumbo Joe with the Cajun Bandit roto and it was very good.

Tuberoller

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 09:59:06 AM »

Not sure what the question was......but this is the answer. Yeah.

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 01:56:36 PM »
I think cooking it directly over a hot bed of coals would add sear and thr taste ya get whe cooking things direct