Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pulled Pork Pretzel Sammies  (Read 1439 times)

SixZeroFour

Pulled Pork Pretzel Sammies
« on: March 26, 2015, 09:19:01 AM »
I've slowly been dialing in my pork shoulder methods and last nights cook finally produced some awesome results. I think the key to the puzzle was that my Maverick has been reading about 10 deg high on the meat probe side! :o After being more diligent with my Thermapen this was realized and adjusted for and it seems to have made a big difference. Be smarter than me and double check your probes are reading correctly!

This is also only the 2nd or 3rd time going with an injection but man am I sold on it now.

- 7.4lb Pork Shoulder
- Smoke on Wheels - Pork Marinade and Injection
- Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction
- Stonewall Kitchen Pulled Pork Simmering Sauce

Onto the WSM using Pecan and Apple chunks:

3 Hours in... :

5 Hours in... when it hit 165° internal the shoulder was removed, foiled then returned to the smoker:

And finally finished off for another 2 hours or so until 195° internal:

Pre-pull:

The Bushman Bear Claws shredded it all with ease:

Time for phase two - Slow simmer...

Getting there!...

Finally ready, but one last job to do...:

NOW we're talking!

The Stonewall Kitchen simmering sauce was EXCELLENT! Much better than any other commercial one I have tested to date. If you can find it, give this stuff a go! I'm already counting the minutes until lunch leftovers ;D

Thanks for looking!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Re: Pulled Pork Pretzel Sammies
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 09:34:09 AM »
Bloody right there. All really nice shots but this one says it all:

Nice mahogany colour and oozing pork wonderfulness.

"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 10:00:08 AM »
+1 on that MrHoss

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 10:05:19 AM »
Nice. How long in the crock pot? Looks like for the "simmer" you had it on High, but I don't know crocks too well.

The probe temps mystify me. And the meat is an equal partner. I can probe in a different area and get something 10-30 degrees different, same probe, both similarly sized areas of meat. I've had to err on the side of caution and sometimes go a little higher, but then again it could very well be that meats don't cook at the same rate throughout, even when it seems they should.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

SixZeroFour

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 01:39:03 PM »
The crock pot was used as a warmer more than anything else. I just added the pork and sauce and let it heat up until it was steaming hot then served.
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 02:25:01 PM »
Those look Incredible Matt!!!
I Love pretzel bread and pulled pork, combining them is a ingenious idea :)

@addicted-to-smoke
"The probe temps mystify me. And the meat is an equal partner. I can probe in a different area and get something 10-30 degrees different, same probe, both similarly sized areas of meat. I've had to err on the side of caution and sometimes go a little higher, but then again it could very well be that meats don't cook at the same rate throughout, even when it seems they should."

Have ever tried the skewer method?
I don't rely on the thermometer any more when cooking pork shoulder or brisket. If the skewer goes through without any resistance in few places, then I know the meat is ready :)

Sramsey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 03:27:45 PM »
This summer I'm going to be all about the pretzel buns, they are awesome.
I found that a Boston but is more tender then the pork shoulder. Guess it goes with anything, bone in is the way to go. Try pork but with bone in , cook it the same way and compare it.
Own: 14' Black Performer Silver , Retiring 06' Black OTG.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 04:05:09 PM »
Looks great Six, nice job!