Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Chicken legs  (Read 1821 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Chicken legs
« on: March 29, 2015, 06:20:47 PM »
- marinated for a few hours in a 1-gallon bag
olive oil, fish oil, a light amount of Herbie's Grilling Seasoning, The Squeal Hog Rub

Got a full chimney going and blocked off the main heat thrust with one firebrick, which instantly fell over into the coals at an angle but whatever. I'm no longer as quick to use two of my bricks because of how much heat they soak up.

With only 9 legs I didn't need to use the warming rack but was interested to see how the ones up top would cook faster. (I don't think they did, but then again the meat on the main grate was a little closer to the heat.) It's a shame I didn't make use of all that space on the hot side for the rest of dinner, but the Boy was put to task making mashed taters and the stove had small veggies simmering.

I "seared" them first, about 15-20 seconds, turned for another short while, then moved them over to the other side, where they were each turned twice or thrice more. Towards the end they got sprinkled with lemon and lime juices. At the very end, I lightly basted them with a mixture of chili sauce, some srirachi stuff and Italian dressing.

Another light baste and it was back onto the hot side for another few seconds and then pulled. With the skin being yanked away from the bone I could have stopped 10 minutes earlier for perfection, but it was still really yummy with good texture all around.

Very tasty, and I liked the lighter touch for both seasoning at the marinade and saucing at the end.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

WNC

• WKC Performer
Re: Chicken legs
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 05:36:40 AM »
a-t-s, chicken looks great, and love that red as performer!

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 06:16:22 AM »
Those legs look great! Nice marks
WTB: Genesis Jr.

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 06:27:17 AM »
Those legs look delicious!!
I also have the same Performer :)

I bought at a garage sale for $50 ;D

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 08:58:24 AM »
I love it when the leg skin pulls up a bit and gets a nice crisp to it

eccj

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 08:28:10 AM »
Similar to ribs right?

eccj

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 08:28:48 AM »
Those legs look delicious!!
I also have the same Performer :)

I bought at a garage sale for $50 ;D
I truly hope I find one of these one day!

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 09:25:28 AM »
Similar to ribs right?

Pretty much... As the meat shrinks the skin gets really tight and eventually will tear at the small end of the leg - yum!