Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Covered Cooking With Magic - Wood Dale Era Kettle Brochure with Recipes  (Read 7376 times)

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
Re: Covered Cooking With Magic - Woodale Era Kettle Brochure with Recipes
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 06:16:18 PM »
I think I read they went from Weber Brothers to Weber Stephen in 1956.  I know I have seen the date of the move from Wooddale, but cant remember now.  The date of that pamplet lies between 1956 and 1960 (?).

Very excellent find!  Got to be one of the oldest I have seen.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 07:52:39 PM »
It's interesting that it shows the standard ash pan in one picture, and the solid metal triangle on the bottom as well in another picture.  Did it have both?

Brian

I just noticed that it referred to the ash pan as an "accessory".  I now wonder if it was an option in the early years, which complicates dating things.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 08:02:28 PM »
It's interesting that it shows the standard ash pan in one picture, and the solid metal triangle on the bottom as well in another picture.  Did it have both?

Brian

I just noticed that it referred to the ash pan as an "accessory".  I now wonder if it was an option in the early years, which complicates dating things  

Yeah, I'm thinkin' if you guys back there do a meetup, do it in their parking lot & when you're full of meat, go over & bang on the door &  demand a copy of "THE HISTORY BOOK " !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 04:35:54 AM »
Im not holding out on you Zav....I just got it.  I also think you are on to something with the idea of the grill coming with both the utility shelf and ash pan.  I'll try to get actual high quality scans of the entire book for a future Weber Brochure/Catalog page.

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
Re: Covered Cooking With Magic - Wood Dale Era Kettle Brochure with Recipes
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 05:06:38 AM »
G, any chance of getting additional info from the person or place you found the old pamphlet?  How did you find that?  It is a great find. 

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 07:22:54 AM »
  I'll try to get actual high quality scans of the entire book for a future Weber Brochure/Catalog page.
That would be really cool Stu! :)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 09:21:14 AM »
Very nice! Thanks for sharing.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 05:02:49 AM »
This is such a fun thing to look at, G!  Thanks for finding it, and thanks for sharing it.

I'm still amazed at the recommendation to cook inside.  The fumes would be unbelievable!
One of the charcoal people.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 05:19:33 AM »

"The fumes would be unbelievable!"

Maybe they had better, safer charcoal in the old days..... :D
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2013, 05:49:02 AM »
Seems there were no drip pans available pre made prior to the mid-late 1970s. Every Weber cookbook prior to that has the homemade ones out of Reynolds Wrap. Has anyone every made the drip pans out of foil? Seems like it would be a cheaper alternative to buying drip pans every so often.

Craig

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2013, 05:50:20 AM »
I read something that mentioned indoor screened areas. I think it might have been refering to screened patios areas.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2013, 06:10:18 AM »
I must be old-school, because I've never bought a disposable drip pan.  I always make mine out of foil, or just use this beater aluminum brownie pan I inherited somewhere. 

I will say, though, that my homemade pans sometimes leak if they are filled with water.  But it is nice to be able to customize the shape to the footprint of the food I'm cooking.
One of the charcoal people.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2013, 06:24:13 AM »
I must be old-school, because I've never bought a disposable drip pan.  I always make mine out of foil, or just use this beater aluminum brownie pan I inherited somewhere. 

I will say, though, that my homemade pans sometimes leak if they are filled with water.  But it is nice to be able to customize the shape to the footprint of the food I'm cooking.

I've thought about doing this. Especially since a small pork roast doesn't require a massive drip pan.

Craig

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2013, 08:28:29 PM »
I am kinda new to sites like this, not even sure if WKC is a site, blog, page or bulletin board.  And don't know what pushing a subject (thread or post) back to the top for no good reason is called.  Maybe it's a bump, push, jacked, or whatever. 

The point us I don't want this old brochure to drop off the first page, so I am replying to it just to put it back in front for a while.  I click on it all the time just to look and admire it.  Does that sound strange? 

So this might  be considered rude and inappropriate behavior to re-up a subject without adding anything new.   If you reply to me and say so, don't be surprised if I wait to respond just before this thread is about to drop off the page again. 

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2013, 04:22:27 AM »
I am kinda new to sites like this, not even sure if WKC is a site, blog, page or bulletin board.  And don't know what pushing a subject (thread or post) back to the top for no good reason is called.  Maybe it's a bump, push, jacked, or whatever. 

The point us I don't want this old brochure to drop off the first page, so I am replying to it just to put it back in front for a while.  I click on it all the time just to look and admire it.  Does that sound strange? 

So this might  be considered rude and inappropriate behavior to re-up a subject without adding anything new.   If you reply to me and say so, don't be surprised if I wait to respond just before this thread is about to drop off the page again.

I guess I've never seen it as rude. I have bumped threads if there's things I've wanted to add or if I have a question that pertains to it. I bumped the "vintage weber commercial" post i put up in September as we got closer to Christmas for new members to see and for the regulars to enjoy again. If there's a post that's my favorite and like to view, but have nothing to add, I just look it up in the search box, or I search through my posts in my frofile. I Hope this helps  ;) Your among friends and not "forum Nazis" here.  :D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 04:24:36 AM by Craig »