Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: R - R - R and another R?  (Read 5057 times)

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
R - R - R and another R?
« on: February 03, 2015, 10:25:32 AM »
Repurpose? ;)

In my journey of this hobby, I have Rescued, Restored and Respected the Kettle. I have rescued many blacks for gifting, but some fall short for a gift and have not been taken care of. Hence where the repurpose comes in. It was @Hogsy that inspired this. He made the heat deflecting charcoal holders. We all know of the dreaded grate holder blowouts on colored kettles. It was long talked about with another member and we finally were able to make this work. We saved all the leg sockets and handles for future projects.

Kettle one was a trial an error. We made a template from cardboard, copied on the kettle, but fell short on the angle... Second one was better. With some cold roll steel they will function. There was waist, so our thinking was to cut all the way around and we may be able to yield three baskets. Upon completion of this one, the light bulbs went off. :o(sorry no pics of this process)

Here is the first cut from the top of the kettle. It will function in an RK awesome. Picture taken is on top grate, but you get an idea. Centered it can guide a snake, with fire bricks it can zone heat or it can just be used as a large charcoal holder. I also put it in the old flat top 26", not a perfect fit, as the contour of the kettle is different. Works, but it also raised the grate level which I think is a plus.

Inside the Flat Top 26.

There was quite a bit of kettle left, so we hacked off another 5" section.

Inside the C & B.

It is a perfect fit. Just a little air gap which is perfect. I do most cooks with indirect heat(one side) and find the baskets to small. Now I can use my firebricks and maintain a long constant heat source without refueling. I have the confidence in this to protect our precious colored kettles.
***Tool of choice, angle cutter or plasma cutter**both cuts were 5" down***

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
Re: R - R - R and another R?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 10:45:46 AM »
That's a great idea gl .....
Looks lile I've found my next mod
Thanks for sharing
How far in does it sit on the charcoal grate?
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 10:56:41 AM »
Thanks for sharing

Hogsy, that measurement was not taken. But your not loosing anything. This was made less than two weeks ago, I have not noticed any difference in my cooks. There is more of air gap at the grate level. Didn't think to measure it. Sorry.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 11:06:50 AM »
Thanks for sharing

Hogsy, that measurement was not taken. But your not loosing anything. This was made less than two weeks ago, I have not noticed any difference in my cooks. There is more of air gap at the grate level. Didn't think to measure it. Sorry.
All good, just wondering if it will work in conjunction with my basket/drip tray setup
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 08:08:59 PM »
You are definitely  on to something! I like it.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 02:09:51 AM »
Nice job Greg!
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 08:36:57 AM »
That is a great idea.  I'm one of those guys that use those little charcoal holders since most of my grilling is indirect heat and I can't bring myself to bank charcoal off the side of my kettle in fear of damaging the blue finish on my kettle.  The kettle ring you made would be perfect.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 07:29:50 AM »
So, like we're cutting up kettles to make charcoal rings?

OK!

Here's mine I repurposed from an SJS. I was thinking it might work as another of my Hillbilly Vortex's!

Dayum! I better get started!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 07:31:28 AM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 10:27:11 AM »
Interesting...... Let's see it in action swamp
                            WKC Collaborator

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 01:32:15 PM »
Interesting...... Let's see it in action swamp

I just kind of eyeballed this cutout on the SJS bowl. Its 4 5/8" deep so it will fit under the cook grate of the 22" kettles, but I'll have to trim some off for it to fit in the 18.5", its the one I'm most concerned about. It has a habit of flaking porcelain finish if you look at it funny!

As for using it as a Vortex clone, it might require an 18" donor kettle, for now I'm playing with this:http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/**diy-vortex**/

« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 01:39:24 PM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

aguyindallas

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 04:24:51 AM »
This is really a great idea and now makes me think I should go score a busted up kettle to try it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My Tools - 22.5 OTG, 26.75 OTG, Genesis 330, Take Anywhere Gasser, 22.5 WSM, Texas Smokemaster Offset Smoker

aguyindallas

• WKC Brave
R - R - R and another R?
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 04:34:28 AM »
I'm trying to understand this in terms of which kettle bowl I should be trying to source.

I've got a 22.5 that seems to be my accessory kettle. Meaning, it's the one that my roti goes on as well as my pizza kettle. That said, there is a Performer bowl (looks pretty well used) I think I can get for cheap. I'm assuming that I can get this bowl and cut it into a ring like that and have it work inside my 22.5 kettle?

As I understand it, you started at the top lip and hacked off 5 inches for the first ring and then hacked a second ring that was also 5 inches deep. Correct @glrasmussen ?

« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 04:38:25 AM by aguyindallas »
My Tools - 22.5 OTG, 26.75 OTG, Genesis 330, Take Anywhere Gasser, 22.5 WSM, Texas Smokemaster Offset Smoker

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 06:21:42 AM »
I'm trying to understand this in terms of which kettle bowl I should be trying to source.

I've got a 22.5 that seems to be my accessory kettle. Meaning, it's the one that my roti goes on as well as my pizza kettle. That said, there is a Performer bowl (looks pretty well used) I think I can get for cheap. I'm assuming that I can get this bowl and cut it into a ring like that and have it work inside my 22.5 kettle?

As I understand it, you started at the top lip and hacked off 5 inches for the first ring and then hacked a second ring that was also 5 inches deep. Correct @glrasmussen ?

@aguyindallas

You are correct. 2nd 5" cut will rest on the charcoal grate and just tuck under the tabs for the cooking grate. Performer bowl will work fine.

aguyindallas

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 06:22:30 AM »
Nice. I just scored one on Craigslist, for free. I'm walking out the door to get it.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 11:16:14 AM »
Greg, I am loving the fourth "R"!!  Great work.

I am always on the lookout for old beat up blacks …. That's all I find anyway.
Now, you got me thinking about the M/T I rescued in November. The bowl is a complete mess.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.