Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Brisket Choices  (Read 6357 times)

Jason

• WKC Ranger
Brisket Choices
« on: February 02, 2015, 11:42:27 AM »
I just stopped by Costco on my way home and while I was there I had a look the meat dept. I recently scored on a 18.5" WSM and want to do a brisket for the first time ever, on any smoker. What would you guys suggest for my first attempt? They had whole, untrimmed prime and prime, trimmed flat sections. The trimmed flat was more than double the price of the whole, untrimmed pieces. They had choice cuts as well. The butcher said that the prime, whole, untrimmed were not selling that well and may go away at some point. Just looking for some pointers from those with experience. I don't mind spending a few extra bucks if it makes a big difference. Opinions?

« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 11:44:21 AM by Jason Beach »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Brisket Choices
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 01:22:18 PM »
Howdy Jason.....

First off....get that "Wish List" thing outta your signature (unless you want another one!!!!)

Here's a previous thread that has a bunch of links in it....my cooks, others cooks, some general thoughts & links to Franklin's BBQ videos for trimming, seasoning, cooking...great stuff......

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/brisket-on-a-22-5-kettle/msg106493/#msg106493

Given the choice, I'd do whole.....the trimming isn't very hard to do & most folks will like the richness & fat-induced flavor of the point much better than just the flat portion....plus, you get to trim it the way you'd want.....

You can see in the videos & other pictures, they are attached, with a thick fat line between, at about maybe a 30 degree angle.......reason I mention that is if it's too long to fit the cooker( even with a bowl or other item used to bend the center up) you can separate the two muscle pieces & cook on separate grates.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 01:59:31 PM »
Howdy Jason.....

First off....get that "Wish List" thing outta your signature (unless you want another one!!!!)

Oh yeah, gotta take care of that!

Thanks for the link and your input, it is very much appreciated.

The butcher happened to be checking inventory in that case and took the time to explain the differences in those cuts to me. I was pretty impressed that he spent that much time chatting about all of their meat selection and availability. We didn't get into cooking methods, so that's why I'm asking you guys!  ;D

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 02:13:10 PM »
That's good of him.....not all of those folks have/will take the time to do that....

Look for pliability in the meat.....

At Prime, it should be easier, but go thru all of them if you want, to find the floppiest one....it matters......

Plus, you get to start playin' with your meat before you even get it home...... 8)

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 03:56:02 PM »
Primes are going away??!! Damnit! I just got a Costco membership this last weekend for the prime briskets alone. 

Fyi.. I also have a 18.5wsm and I bought a 15.5lb packer. It barely fit on grate but it shrank up nice and was all good.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 04:02:59 PM »

Primes are going away??!! Damnit! I just got a Costco membership this last weekend for the prime briskets alone. 

Fyi.. I also have a 18.5wsm and I bought a 15.5lb packer. It barely fit on grate but it shrank up nice and was all good.

Good to know, thanks!

The butcher said they just started carrying the whole, prime briskets around Christmas time. This is in Carlsbad (San Diego)

I am really motivated to do one of these, in the very near future.

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 04:10:21 PM »
When I had my stick burner i would do entire briskets and get a great result. Low and slow, but I had the real estate to do 2 whole briskets and a ham. And I can show you the fuel bills to match. Got tired of supporting that thing so I started doing them in my kettles

In my 22 kettles I do the flats. and get a great result. it is all about temp control
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 04:13:16 PM »
@Jammamto

Low and slow will definitely be my approach for this.

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 05:00:35 PM »
Jason
on an 18.5 it will be a matter of real estate
try a flat first and see how it fits, then you will have the experience of that kettle and that cut and you can judge from there.

I do flats because they fit better and I am doing them on 22.5s that way I can have good separation from the direct heat. Now that is my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 05:36:18 PM »
@Jammamto

What you mean about fuel bills? Wood for stick burner? Fill me in bro... I'm looking to get an offset sometime soon. Send me a PM so we ain't thread jackin.. Th
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 06:11:43 PM »
I've cooked more briskets than I can remember, but only one has been prime.  I did a GOSP+Cayenne rub on it and then did a butcher paper wrap.  Turned out really good.  Here's the link and some pics.  Good luck, it is hard to go wrong with a prime brisket, but choice is usually what I get.  For both price and availability reasons.  I would only cook prime flats for comps now. 

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/prime-centex-brisket/

« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 06:14:16 PM by MaxBobcat »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 06:22:51 PM »
Here's a 17-1/2# (less after trim) one on a 22....

Here's the shrinkage, which is considerable with these things usually...

Here's point & flat separated, which some folks will do before cooking, for space on cooker considerations....

Another possibility might be to get the whole one, cut apart & do the pieces on different cooks....save a few bucks & get two cooks for one purchase?

Here's point only & tri-tip......if I could find the points by themselves, that would be cooked often.....

Just some more possibilities........... ;D

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 06:53:35 PM »
Jason you want to check out some cool videos on brisket smoking on YouTube by Aaron Franklin.  It shows from start to finish.  Great learning videos.  Really will help you out.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 08:35:27 AM »
Franklin does have some great videos on using a stick burner
He also will tell you where you can get a small stick burner like the one he uses in the videos, they are a entire different thing than one of the massed produced for the backyard coal burning crowd.

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 08:38:19 AM »
Minigrillin, I wrote up a pm describing what you asked for and it was to big to send
in simple terms not to hijack, You burn stick in a stickburner, and a cord of Oak is expensive