Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Is this Possible?  (Read 7959 times)

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
Is this Possible?
« on: January 19, 2015, 10:55:06 AM »
Borrowing the concept from the Big Green Egg, where a ceramic plate is placed between the coals and the food to create indirect cooking like this:

If I place a fire ring in the kettle and put charcoal inside of it

And then top it with this Terracotta plate on top of the ring like this

I use this Terracotta plate inside my smoker as a heat buffer (in place of water) and I know it withstand high heat, since I used it many times. I just wrap it with foil for easy cleaning.

It fits perfectly under the grate

Would I be able to turn the entire grill surface to indirect cooking instead of half ?

Any one tried this? Any thoughts on how it would work?

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Is this Possible?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 10:58:50 AM »
Sure, why not?

Think it might be a little bit hotter around the outside edges where the heat comes out of the holes of the ring?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 11:18:38 AM »
Sure, why not?

Agreed.

I like that idea! I don't have a smoker, but I would think my charcoal baskets would work just as well.
Dude, relax your chicken.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 04:32:24 PM »
Take some 4 inch carriage bolts with some washer and nuts and a weber 18 inch grill grate and create a hover grate that would give you all kinds of space.

I like your idea a lot but over time the Terra cata plate will crack.  a more long term solution might be cast iron or a kiln shelf.  These are all things that are used in Kamado deflectors.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 05:23:54 PM »
I've been dabbling with trying a similar set up. I was thinking of using a steel pizza pan as a diffuser similar to the set up in the Cajun bandit stacker. I think a raised grate like the prior poster mentioned would help to allow the heat and smoke to circulate all around the meat.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 02:05:40 PM »
Thanks 1buckie :)
I was thinking the same too, but every grill has hot spots as you know. Even with the traditional 1/2 & 1/2 indirect method, it’s going to be hotter near the edge of the coals.

Thanks dazzo,
Yes, I agree a charcoal basket should do the same job.

Thanks LightningBoltz,
I was trying to create a bigger indirect area for larger items and having a second tier wouldn’t help me.
I have this grate for small multiple items like chicken pieces that give me the extra space as you mentioned.

I agree about using cast iron plate for long-term solution, I'm sure it will last longer. I did see them for the BEG.
I may use this metal pan below the Terracotta plate to protect it from direct heat.

The Terracotta plate fits perfectly inside of it

Thanks CharliefromLI,
I thinking raising the cooking grate is a great idea. Using the Rotis ring may serve this purpose,
Like this

This also gives me a place to put the thermometer right at the cooking grate level  ;)

I wonder though if I could achieve higher temp using this method??
The temp at the grate level could be much lower at higher level I would think??
I wanted to create a bigger indirect area (still high heat) and I was not trying to use this step for smoking purposes. I have smokers for low & slow cooking.

May be if I place a grate above the fire ring and then place the plate on top of would work. This would allow more air to get to the coals and gives the heat a place to escape, thus higher temp.

And still plenty of room below the cooking grate :)

I guess that would give me reasons to have more cook outs to test each theory :)
Thank you all for chiming in :)

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 09:01:39 AM »
Hey @BBcue-Z - are you interested in exploring these experiments and blogging about them for us?
Everyone is a big fan of you and your cooks :)

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 09:31:35 AM »

Hey @BBcue-Z - are you interested in exploring these experiments and blogging about them for us?
Everyone is a big fan of you and your cooks :)

+1

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 01:32:32 PM »
Thanks @Troy and Craig
I will be glad to do that :)
How soon do you need them?

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 02:45:38 PM »
I used to use a claypot base in my 18" WSM (with and without the waterpan) and it cracked after a few uses.

I then switched to ceramic pizza stones that would get foiled over and set in the pan. Sometimes with lava rocks, then eventually on their own. I could never tell any difference. Eventually they ended up cracking as well.

I have 3 Large Big Green Eggs with platesetters and pizza stones and none of them have yet to crack.

If you are proposing to just lay the claypot base/diffuser directly on the charcoal ring? I ain't feeling that, I'd at least raise it a few inches and use bolts, threaded rod or expanded metal to get above the charcoal basket.

I've had 1/8" steel discs cut to act as heat deflectors for my Mini, Cajun Bandits and WSM's, I don't think I'll have to worry about them ever cracking.

This is something I'm planning to have fabricated and use it in my drum smokers and possibly be able to use in my Weber'/Cajun Bandits as as well. A heat deflector similar to this design.

http://www.hunsakersmokers.com/products/vortex-fire-basket

Anybody looking for an 18" steamer basket insert?

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 03:38:50 PM »
Thanks @swamprb
I’ve used my clay pot in the WSM few times and it has not cracked yet. However, I have no doubt that it will sometime soon. I was trying to experiment with things I have on hand, and I’m not sure if any of this works or not. That’s why I asked for input from people that tried similar ideas. And I thank you for adding pix and examples.

I think placing a grate on top of the fire ring, and then placing the diffuser on top of it may do the job, but I wouldn’t know for sure until I try it. I don’t think I can raise it too much above the ring due to limited space under the cooking grate. However if I add the Rotisserie ring, then raising the diffuser would not be a problem.

If any of these set ups works after experimenting, I would most certainly look into getting a steel disc like yours.
I use a similar diffuser disc under my Cowboy Wok (Discada) cooker and it works very well

And I would be glad to buy the steamer ring from you. I like mine and don’t mind having a back up :)

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 09:18:45 AM »

DO you think maybe a hover grate under the ceramic plate would work
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 10:00:28 AM »
Yes, That’s why I decided to add the second charcoal grate above the ring for the clay pot to rest on. I still have to experiment with it to know for sure…

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 02:02:13 PM »
OK, that is what I was thinking

keep brainstorming, we will get this worked out
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 04:48:19 AM »
I should have thought of this sooner:

This concept is similar to the smoKETTLE:

I never used one, but I found this online about a year ago and was intrigued by the concept.  The feed back was limited, but was mostly positive.

Its currently unavailable through their own site and amazon. I don't know if they are done making them or maybe its being redesigned, maybe they're produced in batches and a new batch is coming? 

Some commented that the price was too high ($40). It was cheaper than the smokenator and looks like it would have cost the same if not more to produce. Maybe $29.99 would have made it more attractive. 

I tend to think that these type of kettle/smoker gadgets are geared to towards people are modder's by nature and if a DIY mod can be made significantly cheaper then your product people will come up with a DIY version, however if your product's price is slightly more that DIY materials cost, but much less work, then you will find a sweet spot in the market.

Keep up with the experiments!

Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP