Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rotisserie for Genesis and Kettle?  (Read 2260 times)

jaynik

• WKC Brave
Rotisserie for Genesis and Kettle?
« on: February 04, 2015, 08:47:38 AM »
I currently have a rotisserie for my Genesis.  I also have 18, 22.5 (performer) and 26.75 kettles and would like the ability to roti on either gas or charcoal. 

Is it worth trying to retrofit the Genesis rotisserie on any of the kettles, or just get a kettle specific bundle? (i.e. buy a ring and spit)  It appears that neither Cajun Bandit or Weber sell just the ring.  Part of the reason for asking is I don't necessarily want a whole bunch of redundant equipment taking up space, so am looking to multi-task anything I can.

Also interested in opinions on which kettle size you'd add a roti to if you had to choose.

Appreciate any thoughts on this.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Rotisserie for Genesis and Kettle?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 03:50:09 PM »
Many different ways to go, I like my kettle roto but when I had one for my gasser the results we about as good.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 06:41:14 PM »
Depends how much you use your gasser?

My Genesis has the rotisserie mount on it and I've only used it a couple times to cook on. The chickens I grilled didn't have any flavor on the gasser.

We rigged a Rib-O-Lator up to take pics of it, but never cooked on it.

But I know what you mean about having a bunch of extra stuff hanging around. I recently went through and sized all my spit rods for each size ring I'm using (14",18.5", 22" & 26.75" Cajun Bandit rings) and kept just one for the EZ-Que ring I still have since the motor mount distance is shorter on the CB's.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 02:02:33 AM »
Thanks guys.  Swamp, what you're describing is the problem as I see it.  As I'm watching Steven Raichlen's show, I noticed the Summit has a rotisserie burner to char the meat while it's on the spit.  The Genesis does not and I believe this is a game changer.  When I do chickens, I don't turn on the middle burner for the majority of the cook, which seems reasonable given most folks are using some sort of drip pan below.   Problem is I don't get any skin crispness.  Last time I removed the drip tray and fired up the middle burner for about 20 minutes at the end of the cook to try to add some charred flavor.  To be honest, I think our Ronco rotisserie gives better flavor since it's direct firing the spit.

With all this said, I think what I've learned is the rotisserie option isn't going to be awesome on my Genesis and I should most likely just get a rotisserie for one of my kettles.  ...or get a Summit...  Or am I just not making the best use of the rotisserie on my Genesis?

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 04:06:49 PM »
@jaynik

When you say you have the rotisserie for the Genesis, is it the Weber #9891 Cradle (6" EZ Que) or just the spit rod and forks? 

The 9891 will fit on the 26.75" Cajun Bandit rotisserie ring without any modification.

You will have more options with outfitting your Performer with either a Weber or Cajun Bandit ring.

If I were in the market for a Summit, I doubt if I'd use the rotisserie much, but more for the Zone cooking capability.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 04:22:30 PM »
I've got the 7519 rotisserie for my genesis.  It's got a mount, motor, rod and forks.

Not sure which way I'll go with this...