Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Minced Meat Kabobs (Kofta)  (Read 3246 times)

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
Minced Meat Kabobs (Kofta)
« on: January 29, 2015, 01:51:35 PM »
Kofta Kabobs are sometimes called skinless sausages, they’re traditionally made with lamb or beef or a mixture of both  and very popular around the Mediterranean. They’re cooked on wide skewers since they have no casing to hold them together. 
I decided to try pork butt this time using Kofta techniques, since pork butt has high fat content. Kofta tastes so much better when it’s made with fatty cuts just like any sausages.

I started with pork butt, which I cut up into cubes

I then marinated the meat in a mixture made of puree of onions, tomatoes, and chili peppers with Mediterranean 7-spices over night. I could’ve gotten ground pork, but I wouldn’t have been able to use liquid marinade for the fear of making the mixture too wet and falling off the skewers. So I decided to marinate the chunks of meat prior to grinding them.

Used my Kitchenaid to grind the mixture

switched to the dough hook to mix the meat with grated onions, fresh parsley

Got Sumac (Mediterranean Thyme) and pomegranate molasses to drizzle on the meat once it was  done

Also made yogurt sauce (Tzatziki sauce) to go with it

I have to say, this was the most difficult Kofta I’ve ever made. It was hard to mold the meat due to it’s fat content or may be the texture of the pork. I’ve made this with lamb and beef many times in the past without any issues. But I was able to pull it off at the end.
Here are a couple of test skewers. I wanted to make sure the seasoning was good and see how it would hold up to the fire.

added the rest of skewers

and some veggies

Grilling is done and dinner is served :)

Served the sausages on tomato/chili flat bread topped with onion relish, parsley and drizzled with pomegranate molasses, yogurt and Sumac.

This was very tasty and challenging meal. Despite having some issues molding the meat onto the skewers, they all stayed on the skewers and I did not lose not even one :D   
If you ever made sausage with ground pork, you’d now how that stuff melts at room temperature, so you can imagine how quick it melts trying to mold it with warm hands. It was worth it though, the pork made great tasting Kofta :)
I think I’ll try 50/50 mixture of beef and pork next time.

AcrossFromHoss

• WKC Brave
Re: Minced Meat Kabobs (Kofta)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 02:21:14 PM »
The finished product is a work of art. Thanks for sharing. Im a big Kofta fan and havnt tried making them myself as they are very well made up the road from me but that looks fun Ill add them to my ever growing WKC to do list.
"Seeing pictures of a nice steak without viewing the middle is like seeing a nice pair of tits in a bra. You tease!!!!"
 22.5 black OTG kettle, 18.5 WSM, Jumbo Joe

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 03:16:18 PM »
Rippin' Good Cook !!!!!

Did the pomegranate go on after cook, or after grind?

I remember you telling me not to ever add any moisture to the ground, so I'll guess finish sauce......

and the sumac, like gumbo file' ?

This scared me for a sec.....never seen you do two of anything......

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 03:39:16 PM »
Thanks AcrossfromHoss :)
Kofta is one of my favorite food’ unfortunately, it takes a lot of work and don’t always have time for it.

Thanks 1buckie :)
I drizzled the pomegranate molasses after cooking. You’re correct; you don’t want to add any moisture to this mix. That’s why I marinated the meat chunks prior to grinding.

The Sumac has a lemony flavor that goes very well with meat, chicken and rice.
And I would have been scared too if I did all that work for 2 skewers only  ;D
My friends always tell me that I cook too much food, and I always say I make just enough to enjoy :)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 03:52:19 PM »
Do you just sprinkle the sumac on at the end?

I cook with it, like these rib tip had that, garlic powder & jerk seasoning....

I've also had Cajuns laugh at me for mixing file' into sauces & rubs......I like the flavor additions of those kind of things...... :o

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 04:16:02 PM »
I use it before and after, it gives the meat mixture a nice flavor during cooking.  And I use it after for garnish and more pronounce flavor.
I’ve never tried it on pork ribs, just on lamb. I usually use citric acid on pork ribs to get that flavor; I think Sumac may work even better!!
Thanks for the idea :)
I do the same with file’, it really adds another dimension of flavor.

vic

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 05:09:06 PM »
Fantastic Looking Cook as usual!!!

Lerxst

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 07:18:18 AM »
Really delicious looking meal.  I love all of those flavours.  Labour of love right there.
"Woke up this morning thinking - what can I barbecue next!  This is fun!"

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 11:31:29 AM »
Would you be willing to share your recipe for lamb kofta?  The time I tried it, it fell apart, and was severely lacking in flavor. Nothing like the dishes I've had in Greek restaurants thats amazing.  So maybe I just have a terrible recipe.

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 02:26:00 PM »
Thanks Vic :)

Thanks Lerxst :D
Labor of love indeed

@Johnpv,
I’ll gladly share my recipe for Lamb Kofta and my technique. The technique is more important than the recipe in my humble opinion.
For best results, use 50/50 of ground beef and lamb mixture.

For authentic seasoning, try Mediterranean 7-spice mix.
http://www.sadaf.com/Sadaf-Seven-Spice-Baharat-11-1003/

To 1 bag of the 7-spice mixture above, I add 2 TBS of granulated onion powder, 1/2 tsp of each powdered oregano and thyme, 1/4 tsp citric acid, 1/2 of lemon pepper, and 1 tsp of black and 1/2 white pepper. Saltt of course to taste. Once you mix all those spices, you can use 1 to 2 tsp per pound of ground meat, or more if you like more seasoning in your food. I also add 1 tsp of tomato past(no sauce) per pound. 1/2 onion pureed and all the water squeezed out per pound, 1/4 cup of finely chopped fresh parsley per pound- do not used dry parsley.
I usually form a small patty after mixing the spices and cook it in a frying pan to check the seasoning. This way you can adjust prior to cooking the whole batch.

Here are the rules for best results and guarantee not to fall of off the skewers:
Rule#1 absolutely no liquid flavoring:
That includes eggs as well. Eggs act as a binder, but unless you’re using large amount of meat, eggs will make the mixture wet. And no bread crumbs needed.
Onions will have to be drained of all their liquid. This can be done in 2 ways. You can puree onions in a food processor and A. place them in a coffee filter inside of a strainer over night or B. squeeze all the water with a clean kitchen towel.
You can reserve the onion water for molding the meat on the skewers later. This will also add a good flavor.

Rule#2 run the ground meat mixture in a food processor until it forms a ball or very smooth:
This may be done in batches, but a must be done, or the meat won’t mold and stay on the skewers.

Rule#3 Refrigerate the meat after you place on the skewers for a minimum of 4 hours and best overnight.

Rule#4 Mold the meat on the skewers with the thickest part of the meat is along the edge of the skewer.
The meat will shrink during cooking towards the middle of the skewer, so if you start with it bunched up in the center, the edges of the skewers will act as a knife and spilt the meat in a half. Wet your hands with cold water or the remaining onion juice during molding for easier application.
With your thumb and index finger, pinch the top and bottom ends of the meat in a circular fashion to seal them and make them stick on the skewers.
Free Image Hosting
Free Image Hosting

Rule#5 **Most Important** grill the skewers 3-4 inches above the coals on high heat.
You have to sear the meat quickly before the fat melts. If the fat starts melting before the protein has had a chance to tighten up, it will fall off the skewer. You’ll need hot coals and close distance to the coals. Sear one side, and rotate quickly to sear the other side, then you can move the skewers to a lower heat section of the grill.

I know this sound like a lot of work, but it’s worth it. Give it another try and let me know if you have any questions.
Good luck and enjoy 

I’ve done Kofta on the Kettle too :)

SixZeroFour

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 08:42:00 PM »
You never cease to amaze my friend!! I love how you always incorporate vibrant colors in your cooks - the final presentation looks as good as I'm sure it all tastes! Thanks Hadi!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 04:43:22 AM »
Thank you big time for sharing your recipe and method!  Now I just need for it to not be in the negative degrees outside! 

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 07:51:47 AM »
Thank you big time for sharing your recipe and method!  Now I just need for it to not be in the negative degrees outside!

The chill will help keep stuff on the skewers better......... 8)

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 09:06:24 AM »
lol you make a very good point Buckie! I can't deny that.

f2benny

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 06:18:57 AM »
Fantastic.  You might say it was a koftaesque experience?