Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What Equipment or Methods Did You Used to think was a gimmick, but now use?  (Read 6565 times)

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
I bought a Thermapen after all the raving everyone does here. It works well but mine isn't as fast as promised and it would never work on the rotisserie like Mike, and others have mentioned. I must have just gotten a dud or something. It's good, just not really any faster than cheaper ones I've bought.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
@Mark Schnell I'm pretty sure they will calibrate or replace your Thermapen it isn't working as intended.

Troy

• Statesman
I bought a Thermapen after all the raving everyone does here. It works well but mine isn't as fast as promised and it would never work on the rotisserie like Mike, and others have mentioned. I must have just gotten a dud or something. It's good, just not really any faster than cheaper ones I've bought.

Thermoworks customer service is incredible. Give them a call, if you have a dud I'm sure they'll take care of you.

Troy

• Statesman
And for what its worth, I was originally anti weber AND anti thermometer

i was one of those snobs that swore up and down that a good griller should just KNOW when your food is done.
Turns out, i was an idiot.

charred

• WKC Performer
I've said more than once on BBQ Brethren that the Thermapen is a must-have for pro cooks or if one constantly grills 15+ pieces of meat at once. I think they're a great tool for that- the best, in fact.

Another fact is, most guys who have them would see absolutely no difference in their food if they used the Pop.

I don't begrudge anyone buying one. For 95+% of us, they're not necessary.

They're cool though. :)
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

bstarr3

• Smokey Joe
My buddy has a BBQ Dragon, and I have to say is really cool. It basically does the same thing as a hair dryer to speed up the coals starting, but it's on a clamp and goose neck so you don't have to stand there holding a hair dryer the whole time. Coals ready in ten minutes. Also good for stoking coals that have died down

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
GRILL APRONS..
-NOW ITS ALL I WEAR!
(pics to follow)
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
GRILL APRONS..
-NOW ITS ALL I WEAR!
(pics to follow)
Are you one of those people that runs around nekkid except for a grill apron?

I've heard about your type .............. :o 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
Chef's Secret...

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
Its a popular club; Aprons as we don't want to grill the wrong Fattie

« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 07:29:28 AM by Metal Mike »

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
I agree on the lighter cubes. Grilled for years with newspaper,  and just recently tried the cubes. They are so much cleaner and more reliable.

I will cones to having several sets of charcoal baskets and never using any of them. I do use rails sometimes. I guess I should give the baskets a try.

huntergreen

• WKC Brave
old thread but the weed torch sounds like a great idea.