Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: cold smoking on a weber?  (Read 6663 times)

Troy

• Statesman
cold smoking on a weber?
« on: January 25, 2015, 06:08:37 PM »
I normally use the Amazen pellet smoker - which seems to work really well if you follow the instructions.

My challenge is transitioning from a cold smoke to a hot smoke tends to put it out :(

What are the other options for smoke generators?
Anyone have any home-made contraptions?

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
Re: cold smoking on a weber?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 11:26:12 PM »
The Weber kettle already has a built cold smoker :)

Just add a couple of lit coals and a wood chunk in the ash pan and make sure the bottom vent is wide open, and let it smoke away :)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 03:37:35 AM »
I have a Smoke Daddy Big Kahuna and a 6" A-Mazen-Tube and the Tray setup.

Don't use them in a kettle, but if I did, I'd probably pound the items being smoked heavy for some time then remove the smoke generator before lighting any fuel.

I like BBCue-Z's pic with the pellets/wood chunks in the ash can. I can see myself putting a Quick release air fitting on the can and plugging in the Big Kahuna!

I figured I needed a smoke generator for my pellet poopin' WSM, after following some pellet forum complaints about some cookers weren't putting out enough smoke, but haven't found that to be an issue for me.
Basically just use them if I want to infuse flavored pellets into whatever I might be smoking. BBQ'rs Delight or Mel's Gourmet pellets are a few flavored brands I have, there are more out there.

A guy gave me a Hillbilly smoke generator, its a crude Smoke Daddy clone, but it works! I'll take some pics when I get a chance and post them in this thread.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 03:40:25 AM »
"A guy gave me a Hillbilly smoke generator, its a crude Smoke Daddy clone, but it works! I'll take some pics when I get a chance and post them in this thread."

@swamprb   

I'm glad you're here !!!!!

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 09:12:23 AM »
"A guy gave me a Hillbilly smoke generator, its a crude Smoke Daddy clone, but it works! I'll take some pics when I get a chance and post them in this thread."

@swamprb   

I'm glad you're here !!!!!

The Norcoredneck Smoke generator!  Uses a small $10 aquarium pump, plastic pipe cap, stainless steel mesh, adjustable intake valve, 9" x 2" ID pipe.

sometimes pretty wins, but ugly pays!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 12:42:39 PM »

Just add a couple of lit coals and a wood chunk in the ash pan and make sure the bottom vent is wide open, and let it smoke away :)

the thought of this literally makes me cringe.
so much wasted smoke
so much smoke residue and filth applying directly to the porcelain finish of the bowl.
*shivers*

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 12:46:14 PM »

The Norcoredneck Smoke generator!  Uses a small $10 aquarium pump, plastic pipe cap, stainless steel mesh, adjustable intake valve, 9" x 2" ID pipe.

Interesting. How does it work??

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 01:38:05 PM »

the thought of this literally makes me cringe.
so much wasted smoke
so much smoke residue and filth applying directly to the porcelain finish of the bowl.
*shivers*

Sorry Troy, didn’t mean to make you cringe. I just wanted to share the idea.
Wasted smoke, maybe, but even when the smoking process is on the inside of the kettle, all the smoke eventually escape through the vents.
As far as residue on the porcelain finish, this happens every time I cook on the kettle any way. Coals, lit wood and ashes escape through the bottom vent onto the ash pan and continue to burn and smoke (that’s how I got the idea). And that area is not visible on the OTG any way. Also the same thing happens on the inside of the grill (residue on the porcelain finish), since both the inside and the outside of the kettle have the same coating. I use Oven cleaner and it whips the toughest smoke residue with ease and without scrubbing.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 01:56:16 PM »
No worries. Those inflatable wavy arm things make me cringe too ;)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 03:45:43 PM »

Interesting. How does it work??

This video and expanded parts pics should explain it all.

http://www.mycoldsmoke.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8&Itemid=8

The Norcoredneck smoke generator employs an adjustable air valve running from an aquarium pump on the bottom instead of an adjustable pump and Air Supply tube on the Smoke Daddy.

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 12:23:00 AM »

Would have never thought about that.   Brilliant!!!!!!
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 05:49:31 AM »
The Weber kettle already has a built cold smoker

Would have never thought about that.   Brilliant!!!!!!

Ditto. Thanks for the idea.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"