Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Mangal Grill  (Read 8023 times)

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
Mangal Grill
« on: January 09, 2015, 08:13:01 PM »
I've ordered a mangal grill, it looks pretty cool.  What do I cook on it?  Need to have something ready to go.  Do I just skewer some chunks of meat and veggies?

Any suggestions for a first cook?

Kettle Karl

• WKC Brave
Re: Mangal Grill
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 06:53:58 AM »
Marinate some sirloin steak, onions, and bunch of different colored bell peppers. Chop everything up in fairly large pieces since the skewers are pretty wide and marinate for at least 6 hours, but better if overnight. I added some tomatoes as well. Then, fire up a chimney of coals (I used lump charcoal for mine) and once they are ashed over spread them out evenly over the charcoal grate. Put the grill ring on and cover with the lid until it comes up to temperature. Then, put your skewers in and lid on and cook for 2 minutes, then a 1/4 turn at a time for a total of 8 minutes or so.

Check out my first cook on my Mangal Grill here:
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/new-years-kabobs-on-new-weber-mangal-grill/

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 07:48:54 AM »
That looks (non) grate!

Consider me inspired. I was concerned that the size of the skewers would be too large, but it looks like it works well.

slojoe

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 08:01:36 AM »
Where does one get this mangal grill to fit a Weber, I tried amazon, don't have it, is Weber selling them??
Joe, Navy Vet., Life NRA..........Webers: 22OTG, 18WSM, SJS, Genesis Silver A.

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 08:08:10 AM »
Where does one get this mangal grill to fit a Weber, I tried amazon, don't have it, is Weber selling them??

I believe they’re only sold overseas.
But you can try this cheaper alternative method while your waiting to get one
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/kettle-kabobs/

slojoe

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 08:13:46 AM »
That cheaper method looks great, I want the real deal, who do you order them from overseas? How much are they? Is the shipping reasonable? Thanks.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 09:32:39 AM »
That cheaper method looks great, I want the real deal, who do you order them from overseas? How much are they? Is the shipping reasonable? Thanks.

@slojoe   here's Karl's info on how he went about it.....you'll maybe need more specifics from him....Germany, Spain, England & So. Africa are all places people have scooped up different items from.......sometimes it's 'cause friends or relatives happen to live there......sometimes just thru a website in that country.....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/weber-mangal-grill-set/msg139632/#msg139632

And for Pete......

A real good 1st run might be either marinated steak like Karl says or another good one could be get some pork TENDERLOIN (the little ones) & chunk that up into a marinade......

Some folks will do vegs. on separate skewers because they cook at a bit different rate, esp. along w/ red meat......
Look at BBcue-Z's skewer setups for a never-ending fountain of ideas !!!
I like chicken breast chunks, or even this little fix-up:

canned baby clams, wrapped in two overlapping slices of bacon so they skewer tight & don't fall out.....

Pre-cooked sausages along w/ raw shrimps & zukes, etc. make for a fun time also......

Another thing  you can do is to put things that cook fast like shrimps over a cooler area (no coals under the right side)

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

slojoe

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 10:24:19 AM »
Thanks, 1Buckle, I zipped off a note to Weber, got a pat answer to the effect of, it may become available in the U.S. someday, what a crock!!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 10:50:12 AM »
We've had a ton of conversations about "Why don't they......."

colors, styles, accessories, etc. & the best as to be determined is that they do a lot of market research & then keep it separate for their own reasons.....it's a secret !!!

Like the flat plate griddle....only available in South Africa......maybe it was found that people there would be most likely to cook using that type of rig.......

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/a-rare-surprise-in-georgia!/

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 01:17:03 PM »

I bought mine with at Amazon.de.  It was an add on to the pizza oven I was buying.  On the pizza oven, amazon.de was cheaper than amazon.fr, amazon.it, amazon.es, and amazon.co.uk.  Not sure why the EU currency amazons would vary in price.  Delivered, it was cheaper than buying from the Braaishop in SA.  I didn't price check the Mangal.

Pizza: 133.61EU
Mangal: 78.87EU
Shipping: 61.70 EU

I ordered the pizza on a sat and had it on the following wed.  It shipped from IT.  The Mangal hasn't arrived, but is due wed.  It is coming from the UK.

With the Euro in decline, these will get to be better and better deals.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0074K135K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B006Z7VB1Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 04:04:56 PM by ClubChapin »

slojoe

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 01:23:31 PM »
Thanks very much for the info, I'll probably have to wait till Weber brings the grill to the U.S.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2015, 04:41:44 PM »

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 08:45:35 PM »
Received this and fired it up today.

It seems like a nice piece of kit. 

I left the lid on and turned the skewers 1/4 turn every two mins.

The meat cooked through and was not nice and crusty. 

The veggies were not done, did them an additional time, 1 min per quarter turn.  The vegies ended up overdone too.  They were too crusty.

This is going to be a fun tool.  I think the trick will be a hotter fire and cook with the lid off.

Ken:  Grate tip on veggies on separate skewer.  That worked really well, or would've if I didn't overshoot them.

Kettle Karl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 10:54:53 PM »
Received this and fired it up today.

It seems like a nice piece of kit. 

I left the lid on and turned the skewers 1/4 turn every two mins.

The meat cooked through and was not nice and crusty. 

The veggies were not done, did them an additional time, 1 min per quarter turn.  The vegies ended up overdone too.  They were too crusty.

This is going to be a fun tool.  I think the trick will be a hotter fire and cook with the lid off.

Ken:  Grate tip on veggies on separate skewer.  That worked really well, or would've if I didn't overshoot them.

I cooked on mine last night for the third time. My meat and veggies came out crispy and what I consider perfectly done. I think the main difference is that I used lump charcoal (a heaping chimney and a handful of pecan chips) and my lid temp was over 600 degrees. This time I had to go a little longer than two minutes per side, but I use my thermapen to check and pull them off once the steak hits 125 degrees. I leave my lid on, but lift it frequently to make sure I'm not burning everything.

You must spread the charcoal evenly so that the skewers at the end receive adequate heat. Also, from the pictures it looks like some of your briquettes were not fully ashed over, but maybe it's just the lighting.

As far as high temperatures with my Mangal Grill and my Weber Pizza Oven, I use my new Performer Deluxe because the bowl and lid are warrantied for 10 years. I don't bank coals on the side of the bowl, but if anything happens to the porcelain, Weber will be getting a call! I see zero signs of high heat damage so far and I use my Performer Deluxe for high heat cooks all the time. I do notice that the Crimson bowl changes color when it's really hot.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 08:18:22 AM »
Certainly, I didn't make enough coals and dumped in some fresh ones to fill in the holes a little.  Otherwise, it was a mix of lump and briquettes.  My lid temp was all the way around to 0 again (must be 600+)

I'll try this again this weekend.  I think larger chunks of meat will help with the overcooking, as well as lid off.  As I look at Mangal grills, one thing they all have in common is lack of a lid or cooking cover.  They all seem to be open.

I bank my coals all day, and don't have issues with the porcelain.  I think my bowls are well broken in by now.  :)

RE  your performer and high temps:  One thing to look out for are the lid bale rollers melting.