Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rotisserie Rings- CB vs Weber  (Read 12020 times)

G

• WKC Ranger
Re: Rotisserie Rings- CB vs Weber
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 04:51:42 AM »
Chad-where did you get the flat basket for the roti?  Is it stainless steel?  Anyone else have a recommendation? 

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 07:33:48 AM »
Chad-where did you get the flat basket for the roti?  Is it stainless steel?  Anyone else have a recommendation?

I picked that up on the cheap at a local Menard's. It's not ss and I wouldn't say it's top quality, but it's lasted at least 5 cooks so far...guess I've got my monies worth ;)

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 08:16:48 AM »
I have one that I picked up at a thrift store. It was an old item that ws new in the bag.. Its likely plated. My advice is to get one that is non stick or to spray it with non stick before you cook with it. I have cooked wings in mine and they come out great, but they tend to stick.
I have seen them for $12 to $15 dollars. Here is one at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Onward-Manufacturing-Company-Non-Stick-Rotisserie/dp/B0000CGE87/ref=pd_bxgy_lg_img_http://www.amazon.com/Onward-Manufacturing-Company-Non-Stick-Rotisserie/dp/B0000CGE87/ref=pd_bxgy_lg_img_z
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 03:01:09 PM »
I really like the CB ring. The CB ring is a very solid 18 gauge, and can be flipped depending on what your using it on; a 22" kettle, or the 22" WSM. It fits my Performer perfectly, no gasket is needed. The Weber ring does not fit the performer well because of the lid holder guides. You could cut a slot out for that I suppose, but the CB is also $20 less than the Weber. Cleanup isn't very difficult either, the outside cleans up easy enough, the inside I don't do as much for.
Anyway, I'm sold! I would definitely buy another CB if I needed one. Hope this helps...

I saw on their site that this style ring is on sale 130 something? I am really wanting this but wrong time of year to be buying anything right after christmas.

Maybe next year.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 08:25:59 PM »
I picked up a used Weber ring a month or so ago, and have used it 3 or 4 times.  There is a gap of 1/8" to 1/4" around about half of the bowl, but I just fill in the gap with folded pieces of aluminum foil.  Not the tightest fit or the most controlled cooks, but it works just fine for me.  I've done some chickens, a great chuck roast, and even a whole ham. 

If I was a lottery winner, I'd prolly buy a new CB ring, but those never come up on CL, so this $50 device is just fine by me.  Can't wait to do some more rotis cooks in the new year.
One of the charcoal people.

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 08:49:47 PM »
That ring Golly is totally different to the new rings
The rolled edges make it look more like the CB ring, the motor bracket is welded on instead of bolted , , the motor is battery powered and no brackets for fitting on the kettle
I wonder if its just an older style roti ring . How old was the kettle you got it off?

EI mastertouch
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2013, 02:35:44 AM »

I was wondering if I could use the old style skewer ring for a roto, it fits really tight....

There are a bunch of small slots for the skewers, so maybe the center one for the roto & plug the others w/ foil..........or just run the heat a little higher to compensate ??

Any thoughts??
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 11:22:10 AM »

I was wondering if I could use the old style skewer ring for a roto, it fits really tight....

There are a bunch of small slots for the skewers, so maybe the center one for the roto & plug the others w/ foil..........or just run the heat a little higher to compensate ??

Any thoughts??
I'm sure it would work.... But the the skewer ring isn't as high as the roti ring so you won't have as much distance between the heat and the meat and you'll have to drill some holes to attach a bracket to hold the motor
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2013, 01:09:11 PM »
Hogsy, thanks for that, I guess I could use about the same amount of fuel as somebody with a standard depth ring & just let it bleed out a bit....

Didn't think about the motor mount, so maybe have to be a little creative with that, or dedicate to one kettle.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 12:44:43 PM »
I am looking for just a lift mod for larger Turkeys. Just the a ring for either of these kits is in the $80.00 range for both.
Little slow at work and found this, it might be worth a trip to Sears for this. I can think it could be a multi purpose set,
if it will seat. Anyone else seen this? Say 22", might be a little shy...

http://www.sears.com/thunder-group-22inch-stainless-steel-wok-steamer-ring/p-SPM5694898901

Greg
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 12:53:54 PM by glrasmussen »

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2013, 12:54:53 PM »
I am looking for just a lift mod for larger Turkeys. Just the a ring for either of these kits is in the $80.00 range for both.
Little slow at work and found this, it might be worth a trip to Sears for this. I can think it could be a multi purpose set,
if it will seat. Anyone else seen this?

http://www.sears.com/thunder-group-22inch-stainless-steel-wok-steamer-ring/p-SPM5694898901

Greg

Interesting, I haven't seen those before. Don't forget though that the 22" kettle is actually 22.5". Not sure what kid of difference that will make, but it won't be a snug fit.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 01:21:02 PM »
if it will seat. Anyone else seen this?

Greg

Interesting, I haven't seen those before. Don't forget though that the 22" kettle is actually 22.5". Not sure what kid of difference that will make, but it won't be a snug fit.

Yah, might be wishful thinking if it could work...If it was a shelf item at Sears, maybe they could open it? ;) I would have a tape measure in hand...

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 04:29:36 PM »
Another option is some 18 gauge stainless steel sheet. One 4.5"x70" (circumference of a kettle) will set you back about $33. Cold rolled sheets, 18 gauge, would be about half that. I've bought from these guys before, they are reliable, and they are right here in Roseville: https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/MSC-Home.aspx

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2013, 08:22:31 PM »
Another option is some 18 gauge stainless steel sheet. One 4.5"x70" (circumference of a kettle) will set you back about $33. Cold rolled sheets, 18 gauge, would be about half that. I've bought from these guys before, they are reliable, and they are right here in Roseville: https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/MSC-Home.aspx
I will check it out. Bring thmm a grill for a tight fit.