Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Meatballs!  (Read 2064 times)

SixZeroFour

Meatballs!
« on: January 03, 2015, 11:14:37 AM »
Sick kids have thrown a wrench in multiple dinner plans this week so I was left over with some extra ground pork and pork sausage a couple nights ago. Since we already had dinner plans to go over to my parents place for our annual New Years Day Fondue - these were destined to become seasoned meatballs that we could all share as an appy.

This was also a great opportunity to sample some of the goodies received back in the recent rub trade. I only had enough meat for 8 baseball sized meatballs, but that worked out perfectly as we just sliced and served them with a sample of a few different bbq sauces. I also saved a few pieces to test out in the fondue as a fun experiment... I took a mushroom with the stem removed - stuffed a chunk of cheese down into the mushroom - then skewered a piece of this sausage on the top using the fondue fork. This was then dipped in batter, rolled in panko crumbs and then dropped into the peanut oil. The result was an unbelievably tasty little mushroom and sausage popper - I wish I had saved more for the fondue!

I decided to make 4 using @mwmac's blend, and the other 4 with @Winz' Honey Rub.

Formed into baseballs:

Here is my grill setup using the gourmet grate. One side had pecan wood and the other apple. Half way through I rotated the whole ring of sausage around to the other side. I'm an equal opportunity smoker ;)

Starting to look good and getting some nice color!

These were demolished in no time flat and both rubs were excellent you guys! Winz' blend has a really great honey taste to it. Not overpowering but a perfect compliment to the sweetness of the rub. Just delicious! and mwmac's offering was also very tasty with a little more heat to it! Real nice hints of chili, paprika and cumin? I believe. Another winner!

Cheers for looking!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 11:22:34 AM by SixZeroFour »
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
Re: Meatballs!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 04:23:13 PM »
Looks and sounds awesome!!!!!

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 05:35:51 PM »
Damn, Those look Good!!!  Nice Job
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 05:43:43 PM »
Look really great....awesome color.  My only question is....8 meatballs?!  "that's enough to piss me off."   ;-)
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 08:58:28 PM »
I need to try this method! I love meatballs!

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 06:13:26 AM »
Oh yeah!! ... I love me some bbq meatballs!  Great colour on them.  :D

Lately I've been doing a mix of 50/50 ground beef and ground pork for my burgers and meatballs. A little extra fat for flare …  :o ;) 8)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 03:38:16 PM »
Meatballs is a great flick too! @MacEggs ;)

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 04:21:57 PM »
Meatballs is a great flick too! @MacEggs ;)

"Rudy de Rabbit" … Love that movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdZ6RA_c6oE

It was filmed just north of where I live.  You'll see a kid with a Toronto Blue Jays hat on in one scene.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.