Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smoking a ham with butts on the WSM question  (Read 1252 times)

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
Smoking a ham with butts on the WSM question
« on: December 29, 2014, 01:51:24 PM »
I'm doing a half a ham, it's fresh, not cured or pre-cooked at all. I also want to do two shoulders too, all on the WSM. Now, I know the ham doesn't need to get to such a high temp, the sources I am reading for a fresh ham say to get it up to 160.  But most sources say to cook it at 325 to 350 too, I'm planning to smoke around 250 tops.

Anyways, can I do the two butts on the top rack of my 18.5 WSM with the ham on the bottom rack above the full water pan? I was thinking of doing an overnight cook. Should I just add the ham early enough in the morning so it can get six to eight hours in?

This is my first time to consider doing two different cuts of meat on the same smoker. I've got a house full coming for New Year's eve and want to get it right.

Any thoughts?

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Smoking a ham with butts on the WSM question
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 02:31:20 PM »
Why not just fire up a kettle in the AM and cook the ham in it?
Maybe run a snake / fuse and let it go for 6-8 hours.  JM2¢   ;)

Hope everything works out for you.  :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 02:37:34 PM »
Will a snake get up to 325 or 350? I might just do that, but wanted to see if it is possible to do it all i one too.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 02:42:49 PM »
If you have a lot of charcoal in the ring, then it should get that hot with the intakes wide open.
Light about 15 briquets to start.  Also, sprinkle some small lump pieces throughout the snake for burn assurance.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.