Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I tried 3-2-1 ribs - not thrilled.  (Read 8176 times)

HankB

• WKC Performer
I tried 3-2-1 ribs - not thrilled.
« on: December 27, 2012, 05:31:40 AM »
It was time to thaw out those six racks of spares that I picked up on sale earlier this year and smoke 'em up. Inspired by competition BBQ on TV, I decided to do some things differently this time. (I don't usually watch BBQ TV but I caught a few minutes of this one found that the competitors were actually sharing some useful information.)

The first difference was to include some salt and sugar in my rub. Usually I leave those out. The second thing was to go with a 3-2-1 foiling technique. At three hours I pulled the ribs and wrapped them. At that time the meat was not pulling back on the bone. I decided to do two hours in the oven where it was easier to maintain temperature and put them in a 250° oven. About a half hour before they were to come off, I added more fuel and smoking wood chunks to the fire to cover the last hour. I was using lump and it was nearly gone by then. (Cold windy weather was taking more fuel to maintain the same heat.) I also tried two different treatments for the foiled ribs. I dribbled some apple juice on two of them and dribbled a little beer on two others. The last two got nothing.

When they came out of the oven to be unwrapped, they all had about half cup or more of liquid that came off the meat. It was a nice amber color. The ribs were also done at that point, judging by how much they pulled back on the bone. I still put them back in the smoker to finish but only left them in about half an hour.

They were still good, but I feel like the liquid in the foil packs washed some of the flavor away. I had to trim these a bit prior to smoking. They all had part of the breastbone attached so I cut that off and then I trimmed three or four bones of the end of the rack for better fit on my 18" WSM. All of these trimmings went into my mini-WSM with the same rub and remained there for the entire cook. In fact, the mini racks in the mini-WSM were done before I took the main racks out of the WSM, probably because I did not have to remove them from the cooking environment twice. They also had that nice mahogany appearance I had come to expect.

The other racks were a little washed out and had less smoky flavor. I'm wondering why the pros use the 3-2-1 method. Would their smokers impart too much smoky flavor if they did not foil? Do those smokers tend to dry the ribs out more?

I'm looking back and not realize I should have held a lower temperature (225° instead of 250°) for the 2 hour foiled interval, but I think the resulting flavor might not have been ,much different.

I'm not going to call this a failed experiment because the ribs were still good, but I don't think that foiling led to any particular improvement.

I'm curious what the rest of you think about 3-2-1.

I haven't decided whether salt+sugar made a difference in the rub.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 05:33:47 AM by HankB »
kettles, smokers...

Duke

• The Duke
Re: I tried 3-2-1 ribs - not thrilled.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 07:36:20 AM »
They look good to me. After I see they have pulled back, I foil with a little apple cider, or juice because the steam seems to soften them up a little more. After about a half hour to an hour (depending on temp) like that I just pull them and let them rest while still foiled. They already have their share of smoke after the first hour or so. Saying all of that, I remember not foiling them a couple times and just saucing them after pull back and they were pretty nice, bite through and bones clean. Which reminds me, I might need to do a rack soon myself. ;)

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 07:51:35 AM »
I've never tried 3-2-1 with spares before, but I use it pretty much all the time for bb's on the WSM and mini. Keeping the temps at a consistent 225-230 seems a must for the ribs to turn out right using this method. I only use smoke wood for the first three hours; I worry about over smoking so I don't add it for the last hour. I've also noticed that the meat does not pull back from the bone much, if at all, during the first three hours; it usually happens while foiled. I try to limit the amount of liquid I place in the foil; foiling creates a braising environment which could cause the rack to overcook (think pulled-pork). So I do a light spray on the rack with a liquid mixture (apple juice & Jack Daniels or rum) instead of pouring some in the foil.  That last hour or so is used to firm up the meat & bark so it isn't as mushy from the foiling/braising.  I use salt & sugar in rubs where the temps are around 225, I noticed at higher temps the sugar just burns, leaving a nice bark but zero taste.
The main reason I use 3-2-1 is the fall-off-the-bone end product, which my family likes. But if you like more pull, you might have to ditch the foil altogether or at least adjust the timing, 3-1-1 works well for this.
I've tried various other methods, including this one... http://www.weber.com/grillout/recipes/pork/stacked-baby-back-ribs.  I like the other methods, they produce great ribs, but none of them can produce a fall-off-the-bone end product, so I usually just stick with 3-2-1.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 08:43:04 AM »
I've had success with a 2-1-1/2 method when I have 2lb each baby backs. Good pull back, tender too. Family likes them so that's all that matters to me. Put apple juice and honey in the foil (3-4 TBL).
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 10:39:39 AM »
I just tried something like that for the first time on CHRISTmas day.......not thrilled either.  Tooooo tender for me.

But I did them on a kettle, not WSM.
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 01:19:31 PM »
I have foiled before (learned that from a class) and the last two racks i have not.  I have spritzed with just plain water, the first rack had more smoke flavor (i feel from the spritzing more) the second rack had a good flavor and i spritzed less, so i no longer foil and will work on doneness.

Does anyone put mustard on the rack prior to the rub(mustard supposedly helps the rub stick)?
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 01:36:14 PM »
I apply the rub then mustard then more rub
It definitely sticks better
I do the same thing with briskets and butts and find I get some great bark
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 02:32:27 PM »
I have foiled before (learned that from a class) and the last two racks i have not.  I have spritzed with just plain water, the first rack had more smoke flavor (i feel from the spritzing more) the second rack had a good flavor and i spritzed less, so i no longer foil and will work on doneness.

Does anyone put mustard on the rack prior to the rub(mustard supposedly helps the rub stick)?

I do the mustard slather. Works great, but strange you don't taste it when done.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 02:36:32 PM »

The other racks were a little washed out and had less smoky flavor. I'm wondering why the pros use the 3-2-1 method. Would their smokers impart too much smoky flavor if they did not foil? Do those smokers tend to dry the ribs out more?

I'm looking back and not realize I should have held a lower temperature (225° instead of 250°) for the 2 hour foiled interval, but I think the resulting flavor might not have been ,much different.

I'm not going to call this a failed experiment because the ribs were still good, but I don't think that foiling led to any particular improvement.

I'm curious what the rest of you think about 3-2-1.

I haven't decided whether salt+sugar made a difference in the rub.

Hank, just a matter of finding out how you & yours like them best....

The foiling is only partly for flavor from my experinces; more to tenderize by braizing / steaming the meat........

If I use the 3-2-1 type thing, I've always found it to go less time, usually on the last two.......

If you experiment again, try just adding whatever liquids/ powders in first,mix with the meat side of the rack, then set ribs, bone down ( to not wash off your rub, the extra mix below the meat will still have a braizing effect ) & try less time @225/250

A lot of folks use the mustard, no flavor difference & the vinegar in the mustard helps to tenderize...

Not cooking much lately, so I've watched ALL of those silly TV shows for lack of something better to do....

Johnny Trigg uses peanut oil to get the rub to stick & I know that will affect the flavor some, in a good way

My favorite rib is whole spares w/ dry rub & lots of smoke, but even then I'll spritz with 50/50 apple juice / apple cider vinegar mix two or three times to keep the bark from completely drying out

Here's some full spares I did, got to 3, then almost two in foil  & ate them at that point 'cause if they had gone any longer, they'd be falling apart....

PS: Your bark looks tremendous just like it is.....!!!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 02:39:34 PM by 1buckie »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 02:47:29 PM »
I did ribs twice in the last couple of months.  It has been something I have stayed away from because I always overcooked them in the past.  Bad thermo/not enough attention probably.  Recently I used a Chris Lilly recipe that I discovered and have had good results.  Being from the midwest, most of us here have no idea what ribs are "supposed" to taste like.  Since midwest ribs are boiled then grilled eeww! :o 

here is the recipe if any one cares :D
 Ingredients
        2 slabs loin back ribs (baby back)
        1 cup of your favorite sauce

Dry Rub
        1/4 cup dark brown sugar
        4 teaspoons garlic salt
        4 teaspoons chili powder
        2 teaspoons salt
        1 teaspoon black pepper
        1/2 teaspoon celery salt
        1/4 teaspoon red pepper
        1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
        1/4 teaspoon white pepper

Liquid Seasoning
        1/2 cup apple cider
        1/4 cup apple jelly
        1/4 cup honey
        1/4 cup brown sugar
        1 tablespoon dry rub mix (above)

Preparation
        Remove membrane from the back of rib slabs. In a small bowl, combine dry rub ingredients and mix well. Reserve one tablespoon of the rub for the liquid seasoning mixture. Generously apply dry rub onto front and back sides of ribs. Gently pat to ensure that rub will adhere.
        Build a charcoal fire for indirect cooking by situating the coals on only one side of the grill, leaving the other side void. Add a small aluminum pan to the void side of the grill and fill it halfway with water. When the charcoal grill reaches 250°F, place ribs meat-side up on grill grate and cook over indirect heat for 2 hours and 15 minutes.
        Remove ribs from grill. Place each slab meat-side down on its own doubled aluminum foil square. The foil should be large enough to completely wrap each slab. Mix liquid seasoning in a small bowl. Pour 1/2 cup of the liquid over each slab. Then, tightly wrap and seal each slab with aluminum foil. Place the wrapped ribs back in cooker for 1 hour at 250°F.
        Remove ribs from grill, unwrap, and discard foil. Brush finishing glaze on both sides of ribs. Place ribs back on the grill for 15 minutes, or until sauce caramelizes.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 04:16:55 PM »
Just to clarify, the picture above was the trimmings that I did in my mini-WSM w/out foiling. Before I packaged them today, I got a picture of one slab that had been foiled vs. one that had not.

I'll probably give foiling another try, but I won't commit the whole smoke to it until I'm satisfied with the results. There are some good tips above and I'm sure I'll get better results next time.

Incidentally, I do use peanut oil on my rub. I mix it to a thick slurry and smear it on. Here's what that looks like (on a couple butts) before it goes on:

thanks,
hank
kettles, smokers...

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 05:41:23 PM »

I have recently started using the "mustard slather"......no discernible difference in taste and it helps keep the rub/spices on.
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 08:24:45 PM »
3-2-1 or 1-2-3...

For what it is worth, this recipe has worked for me the best.

Thursday,

Remove membrane from St. Louis cut or Spare cut. (IMO, to much bone on baby backs, unless you have a butcher to get you thick cuts.)

Marinate in Zesty Italian dressing, bagged in zip lock.(2 gallon version usually)Put in Fridge.

Friday,

Remove from dressing and discard remains. Now rub rips with your favorite rub, we all have different tastes.

I use a combination of Famous Dave's, Granulated Garlic, Montreal Steak and A Mexican rub that is given to me.(secret recipe I am trying to attain). Zip lock up again in new bags, put back in fridge.

Saturday,

Remove meat from fridge one hour prior to start of cook.
I usually plan on a 4-5 hour cook. I use rib racks.
Load 3/4 to full chimney, indirect from one side King Blue with hickory chunks/ your favorite for smoke.(All vents full open)
When smoke subsides, add more Hickory chunks. No more hickory added, let go 2-2-1/2 hours. Meat should just start pulling down the bone. Remove ribs and put all in an Aluminum pan and foil cover tightly.(No adds)
At this time I add more Blue(not sure how many...). get them smoking and cut all vents to 1/2.
I have let this go 2-3 hours depending on weather and maybe a beer or two longer in some cases.
Remove pan at this time and let stand with foil open all sides, but covered.

I then add coals to the grill for a flash cook. Some like them wet(Mop those) and some like them dry.( dry guests like to dip in a sauce)
They are pretty fall of the bone at this point, so quick sear firms them up. You will know when they are done, trust me.

For a firmer Rib, Use Thursday and Friday steps, cook on mid to high heat direct. Watch the meat,
as it slides down the bone a little, flip finish other side.(Meat will tell you when its done)  Wet mop after this point (Sear mop)if you desire.
Put in pan, cover and rest a while, then enjoy.

As far a Ribs, it is to each their own, as we all have different tastes and textures we enjoy. The Joys of cooking!

Greg

(Sorry, but I only knew K Blue until this sight, just experimented over Xmas with lump, know rib results with lump)
FYI, you can't taste the Zesty Italian, but it does tenderize the meat.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 02:22:32 AM »
Always have used the mustard slather in my ribs.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 06:30:10 AM »
I stopped using mustard and just using a sugary rub for pork. It usually comes out about the same.