Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Your first Kettle  (Read 3956 times)

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Your first Kettle
« on: December 14, 2014, 02:11:33 PM »
Or the one that started it all!  Mine was a Redhead, once i brought it home i started to look on CL more, then i found the Blue..... :o

So what was your first?
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

wyd

• WKC Ranger
Re: Your first Kettle
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 04:06:02 PM »
My first kettle is my blue Platinum Performer.  The kettle that started getting me into grilling.  Never looked back since.

This is my Platinum when it was still new at the Buildershow and was actually on display and then after the show was over I took Big Blue home.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 09:02:04 AM by wyd »
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 04:10:16 PM »
buddy was my first kettle

Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

Craig

• WKC Mod
Your first Kettle
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 06:01:11 PM »
Here's mine. It was my Grandfather's. A 1966-67 18.5 Statesmen. The One. That started it all. I've tinkered with various Zavodles since I've had it

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 06:34:00 PM »
a 70's blackie that's probably out there somewhere cooking up a storm.
I only use kettles with lid bales.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 07:00:20 PM »
I always had a Weber around, but the one that got this going, was a mid 60's thumbscrew blackie.....the rest is history
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 08:42:15 PM »
My first kettle was a OTG. I only had a 14" WSM at that point and on a whim checked CL. There was a $20 OTG three blocks from the house. Score! I rolled it over- caddywhampus and all. Here's a pic of my collection circa 2011. The only two that remain are the WSM CGA- which I'll probably keep forever because it was the first charcoal Weber that started it all for me.

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 08:45:46 PM »
My first kettle wasn't even a Weber! :-[

It was an old second-hand Char-Broil that I used and abused for about 15 years.
A couple of years ago I bought myself a brand new OTG.;D

Then I found the WKC and...well...you know...

« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 08:47:31 PM by jcnaz »
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 03:23:21 AM »
years ago I had seen a 22" Homer OTG on cl for $20, and I thought it was the fugliest grill I'd ever seen, so I posted the link on the tvwbb and people went apeshit and started posting ebay ads for them going for $250+!
I was more into Kamados and didn't know anything about vintage or rare kettles, when someone replied that he preferred the Red's because Weber had discontinued them, I kinda went off the deep end and jumped on any redhead (or colored) in the Seattle area. They came and went, but I still see some of them at family and friends place and threaten them if they don't take better care of them!
My first kettle was a 22" Red Master-Touch with a missing wooden lid handle, non working thermo and a rusted out ash sweeps. $15.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 03:50:35 AM »
My first would have been a black OTS, probably in 1986 or 1987. I bought my first house then and, well, needed a grill.
I don't have it any longer because I didn't know then what I know now.
Since then dozens of kettles have flowed through the Wyocena Yacht Club home for neglected and wayward Webers. Lots of friends and family are thankful for that.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

gunner

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 04:13:21 PM »
My first kettle was a black performer I got in 2006. It was my work horse for the longest time. I just sold it this Summer and it was the hardest thing to do. I kind of regret it now.  :-\

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 05:12:25 PM »
This was my first, a black 18 inch OTS, I got for $20 off CL. I can't remember if I got this first or the WSM, but this was for sure my first kettle. One night out in the snow.

Then I found this place, and two reds later this is my everyday grill (right after I cleaned it up).

I gifted my old 18 to a friend, who only uses when I come over. He refers to it as my "away grill"
After writing this I'm kind of missing the old thing, might have to go over there and fire it up for old time sakes...

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 07:30:34 PM »
My first isn't a Kettle.  I think its from 1990.  GWGA used on hundreds of hunting, camping and softball/soccer games.  Still going strong.

GREAT TOPIC.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 07:33:10 PM by fedex »
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

aguyindallas

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 04:47:37 AM »
Like some, my first Weber was not a kettle.

After hanging with some friends that had a little Go Anywhere Gasser, I decided I needed one too. That was Weber number 1.

Next up, my regular Nexgrill gasser flew off my patio in a wind storm and destroyed it. I did some research and decided a Weber was my best bet. So, I picked up a Genesis E-330 in black. It actually flew off the patio a couple of times and I had to replace a few things too.

I also have a large stick burner smoker that I would sometimes grill steaks or burgers in the fire box. I decided that was silly and looked into a kettle. My wife got me a 26er for Father's Day of this year. My FIRST kettle.

Then I found this place and really got the bug and just grabbed my 22.5 from Craigslist. After I replace few parts, I think I'm going to mainly use it as a roti and hopefully pick up a pizza kettle.

I "think" there is a 22.5 WSM under the tree. I will let you know in about a week on that!

Here are a couple pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My Tools - 22.5 OTG, 26.75 OTG, Genesis 330, Take Anywhere Gasser, 22.5 WSM, Texas Smokemaster Offset Smoker

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 12:24:30 PM »
Technically my first experience with a kettle is as a young kid. My dad used to grill on a weber when I was younger. When I got older, I thought the weber was just a cheap grill and that there had to be better ones out there. I ended up getting a char Griller duo thinking it was better than a weber. A year or two later and after lots of reading about grilling I realized I was a fool and the weber was a classic and one of the best all around grills you can buy.

Technically my first one was a smokey joe I bought for a mini wsm. Then I found a weber OTS on Craigslist. Since then I have found a OTG and 2 WSMs and a smokey joe gold on Craigslist. I have also been trying to get all my buddies to get one too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit