Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wireless thermometer help  (Read 3790 times)

bob hope

• WKC Ranger
Wireless thermometer help
« on: December 20, 2012, 02:20:07 PM »
Ok fellas,
 I'm looking to buy A wireless thermometer. I've been looking at a lot of different makes and models and just can't make up my mind. I would love to get some advise. What works best for long cooks, has a good range, and won't burn out after the second use?
Because Here we are Friends. Here we are Brothers.
A family in the name of Weber.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
Re: Wireless thermometer help
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 02:40:22 PM »
I've got a few but my favorite is the Maverick ET-732
For low and slow cooks it can't be beat
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Danny C

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 06:52:05 PM »
I've got a few but my favorite is the Maverick ET-732
For low and slow cooks it can't be beat
I 2nd that, do some hunting and you can find for around 50-55 bucks
Dannt

Ken Mc

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 07:11:36 PM »
3rd that
Lookin' for a flat top 26"( not black)

bama bbq

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 08:20:49 PM »
I've been looking at a lot of different makes and models and just can't make up my mind.

what makes and models are you considering?

bob hope

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 04:43:00 AM »
Thank you all. I'd basically had been searching Amazon and Google and reading reviews on every thing out there. I just wanted some real first person knowledge and expertise before I bought one. So it seems I will be trying out the ET-732

ROB_STANG2000

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 06:30:31 AM »
I hope to get a Maverick ET-732 for Christmas.  I have been holding out for quite a while now!
Proud owner of a Lime Green22.5, Red 22.5 silver, Black 22.5 Silver 18.5 custom , two smoky Joes witch one has been converted to a custom smoker,  a Weber Summit Silver, and a UDS.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 10:38:28 AM »
I am a big fan of the 732. 

Don't be tempted to save a few bucks and buy the 1st-gen Maverick (called 73, I think, or maybe 32).  The range on that thing is terrible.  Also, be very careful about not getting your temp probes wet (ask me how I know this...). 

The 732 has a great range.  The alarm set-up procedure is far from user-friendly, but it does work and will be a major blessing if you do any overnight cooks.  Nice to be woken up when the grill/smoker needs attention.
One of the charcoal people.

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 02:06:10 PM »
+12
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 11:33:38 AM »
Don't be tempted to save a few bucks and buy the 1st-gen Maverick (called 73, I think, or maybe 32).  The range on that thing is terrible.  Also, be very careful about not getting your temp probes wet (ask me how I know this...). 

Thanks for pointing this out. I'm a happy user of the ET-73 but was disappointed to find that it was not capable of measuring a cooker temperature of 500°. It maxes out at 410°. That's more than adequate for smoking but I wanted to start my turkey out at 500° for 30 minutes and had to guess at that.

On their site I also see:
Code: [Select]
·        Both probe wires are heat resistant to 716 FWhile I was trying to make sure that the cooker was at least 410°, I had it inserted slightly into the lid vent on my 26. After the cook I noticed what looked like something red oozing out from the stainless braid.  :(

Maybe time to upgrade.
kettles, smokers...

ROB_STANG2000

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 07:25:49 AM »
I got mine and it looks awesome.  I’m going to use it this weekend. I didn’t realize they made them in burnt orange color with is the one I got.  I was double surprised.
Proud owner of a Lime Green22.5, Red 22.5 silver, Black 22.5 Silver 18.5 custom , two smoky Joes witch one has been converted to a custom smoker,  a Weber Summit Silver, and a UDS.

bob hope

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 09:37:50 AM »
Oh ya they make them in white, black, silver and orange. I was thinking the orange would be nice myself. I'm glad to hear it  looks good. good luck with your cook let us know how it turns out and pic's are always welcome!  ;) ;)

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 11:40:09 AM »

On their site I also see:
·        Both probe wires are heat resistant to 716 FWhile I was trying to make sure that the cooker was at least 410°, I had it inserted slightly into the lid vent on my 26. After the cook I noticed what looked like something red oozing out from the stainless braid.  :(

Their instruction manual says
Do not use the stainless probe sensor above 572 ºF. Doing so will deteriorate the wire.
The  716 reference is found on http://www.maverickhousewares.com/et732.htm.

Instructions are at https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.maverickhousewares.com%2Fmanuals%2FET-732.pdf&ei=va_cUMPqCYqBrAG83oAY&usg=AFQjCNHY8wkGbaIXP95chxFC-CuBdNEryQ.

I wonder which is correct.
kettles, smokers...